300 wsm or 6.5 prc

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by baskhunter, Aug 16, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Wolf76

Wolf76 Well-Known Member

300 wsm because you can shoot heavies for elk and the 130 ttsx (laser) for deer.
    What's a 6.5 prc ;)

CO_Guy likes this.
  2. arch408

arch408 Well-Known Member

Build the .300 WM. You already have the barrel. I'd favor the .300 for elk. Although a well placed shot with the 6.5 will definately put an elk down. Then again heavy well made 6.5 bullets are legendary for penetration. Hey, you what!!?? Convince yourself that you need the 6.5 and send me the .308. Just kidding. Build the .300 WM or better yet build a .300 RUM (I love mine) You will need to do a little work on the feed rails (probably for the PRC too). And then when you can swing build a PRC? After all, a man can't have too many guns.

3. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

4. I live in Idaho and live for elk hunting.
    I've killed my last 3 bulls with a 6lb 6.5 saum from 200 yards to over a 1/2 mile.
    For elk within 600 yards the 6.5 PRC is a great choice.
    I don't subscribe to the bull $--t about "Real elk guns start with a .30"
    Bigger never hurts but precision is king!

tmfisher57 and djm670 like this.
  5. .300 Dakota

.300 Dakota Well-Known Member

Another vote for the WSM.

6. Quintus

Quintus Well-Known Member

I think the recoil thing is just for people that practice a lot. I have spent a lot of time behind several "Mountain type" 300 shorts working up loads for friends and they wear me out.

7. 436

436 Well-Known Member

baskhunter,
    Just a thought, if you're a reloader you might think about the .30-284 Win it's really been a first-class Deer and Elks cartridge for the S/A actions, plus there's no bolt face work just rechamber, and a lot of LR target shooters have found it a sweetheart at 1k Heck perhaps just a plain Jane .308 Win Ackley Improved might work for you. I think either would do what you're asking. Just a thought as I said.

8. tmmcampbell

tmmcampbell Well-Known Member

Capstick killed an elephant with a .22 rimfire. Karamojo Bell killed tons of elephants with a 6.5 with less velocity than a PRC. I stand by my post a PRC will kill any animal on the planet. If you read my post you would have seen I advocated the .300 for elk. If I was asked my opinion on a African dangerous game animal I would suggest something that started with a .416. Not some sissy .375. What’s the matter can’t you handle a little recoil? ;)

9. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Blackaj

Language warning

10. Win.308Stealth

Win.308Stealth Well-Known Member

You gave only two options. But have you looked into the 7 saum. About 5 years ago, I never thought I would be shooting a 7mm, it was all 6.5's and .30's, but then I tried a 7 saum. It fits right in between the 2 your considering.

North Idaho Hunter likes this.
  11. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

Simple reason, they mention recoil because they have a recoil pad that is too hard. Any 6.5 can kiss your brow just as easily as 338WM. Yes, one jumps more than the other but a good pad will reduce the kick to a push. I recently looked at two different Ruger M77 7rem mags. They both had terrible pads. Until you do a side by side comparison with a Limbsaver or comparable, you do not know how much of an improvement they are. That's why I view them as game changers and believe me, I do not use that phrase much at all.
    I don't think anybody is advocating gun machismo, it's just that the 300 can handle a wider bullet weight range.

436 likes this.
  12. Tree Farmer

Tree Farmer Active Member

Recoil can be an issue when a lot of range time is involved. However, there are ways to mitigate recoil at the range. But recoil has never been a factor, at least for me, when shooting at live game. In fact, the 300 had zero recoil on the last deer I shot.

ToastyTheProfessor and CO_Guy like this.
  13. 436

436 Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I think Peter Hathaway Capstick wrote about another PH that he said "he" the PH kill an elephant in the bush and later "he" took Capstick out and did it again. However, there was no other proof of this ever happening from what I can understand. As for the .416 you are correct in "bring enough bullet", with that said the .375 H&H is known as the .30-06 of Africa and does a fine job both here and abroad.
    My gut feeling tells me that the Capstick story may have been embellished somewhere along the line both by the ghostwriter of the book and perhaps Capstick using a little of the "writers poetic license" hook to give the book a little more pop and along with history repeated story of the act as fact. I, and perhaps 99.9% of the hunters here that have shot all manner of things with a .22 S.L.LR over our lifetime and I'm sure would say; it's probably pretty hard to buy that Capstick or anyone else for that matter ever actually killed an elephant with a .22 Rimfire under any condition, great story'..., very bad idea to even attempt it I would think. Just my thoughts on a very odd story. Cheers.

Web1350 likes this.
  14. Stgraves260

Stgraves260 Well-Known Member

5CB37922-87D9-47D5-BA20-F6A88CB2354D.jpeg
    I’m a 6.5 fan but if you already have the barrel for the 300 just do that then. I shoot a 260 Rem 140 grain Berger’s and have never looked back. Shot this 290# hog at 997 yards. So I thank I’m good to go on anything in America. 5CB37922-87D9-47D5-BA20-F6A88CB2354D.jpeg

GoosePilot likes this.