300 wsm or 6.5 prc

Thanks for all the great replies everyone!

I didn't know the prc would have to run a Wyatt's box to work properly. I was under the impression it was built to run out of a short action. I was concerned about the wsm because I wasn't sure I could get the coal long enough to shoot the heavier bullets.

Looks like either way I go I need to end up with a extended box. With that being the case, it looks like the wsm is going to get the nod.

Has anyone ran the 180 elite hunters in the wsm? I would love to run the 215s but even with a Wyatt's it doesn't seem like It will work as a repeater.
I shot some 180 Elite hunters yesterday during a barrel breakin and they would tear a ragged hole. I have no data yet, but will be testing these again next week.

Apples vs Oranges I know, not very similar cartridges but hear me out.

I want to build a decent all around rifle(mostly mule deer and elk every other year) for backpacking and am wanting to keep the weight around 9ish pounds. To me that is a decent weight for shoot-ability and pack-ability.

I have a trued up Remington 700 short action with a magnum bolt face. I picked up a fluted Bartlein #3 chambered in 308 win(only 200 rounds through it) awhile back from a close friend for dirt cheap(shot fine but he decided to go a different caliber).

I was thinking about just having the 308 barrel punched out to 300wsm gunsmith said it should be pretty easy to do but the 6.5 prc has caught my attention as of late.

So what do you guys think I should do, go with the wsm or buy a new barrel and go prc??

I posted this on Rokslide as well but was curious to see what you all had to say.

If you bought a 6.5 barrel and you bought a switch lug from West Texas ordnance, you could send it all in and have them chamber both at once.

Let me put it this way:
1. I recently bought a Browning 5.6 PRC X-Bolt Pro
2. I'm selling my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt b/c It's no longer necessary for elk now that I have the 6.5 PRC BUT I have to stay within 300 yards for the 6.5 PRC to have the necessary energy.

Check out Youtube regarding 6.5 PRC reviews. I think it's "Rifles Only" that has a video on why they are recommending that cartridge over the .300 Win mag. for their custom rifles.

Eric B.

6.5 prc will kill anything on the planet. However, with elk on the menu I would prefer the 300. I have both. They are both great rounds. The 300 kicks quite a bit more. If I was to take one after elk I would take the 300. If I only had a 6.5 I would hunt with it but still prefer the 300 for large game.

Has anyone ran the 180 elite hunters in the wsm? I would love to run the 215s but even with a Wyatt's it doesn't seem like It will work as a repeater.

Not the elite hunter but I did use the 175gn VLDH last year in my 300wsm Tikka T3. The range performance was amazing and it was an absolute elk grenade.
elk!.JPG

6.5 PRC, have shoot many animals with both, elk, sheep, deer, bears, caribou, antelope. from ranges of 40 yds to 885 yds, I see no need for the recoil of the 300WSM, I hate muzzle breaks so if were to shoot a rifle that needed one it wouldn't,t be any thing .30 caliber, I would step up to the 338 edge with ADG BRASS

Apples vs Oranges I know, not very similar cartridges but hear me out.

I want to build a decent all around rifle(mostly mule deer and elk every other year) for backpacking and am wanting to keep the weight around 9ish pounds. To me that is a decent weight for shoot-ability and pack-ability.

I have a trued up Remington 700 short action with a magnum bolt face. I picked up a fluted Bartlein #3 chambered in 308 win(only 200 rounds through it) awhile back from a close friend for dirt cheap(shot fine but he decided to go a different caliber).

I was thinking about just having the 308 barrel punched out to 300wsm gunsmith said it should be pretty easy to do but the 6.5 prc has caught my attention as of late.

So what do you guys think I should do, go with the wsm or buy a new barrel and go prc??

I posted this on Rokslide as well but was curious to see what you all had to say.
I use my 300wsm for elk and moose in 180 grain and up ! My 6.5 is used for deer sized game with 140-160 grain bullets ! You could interchange either but the 300wsm has quite a bit more recoil !

In my opinion, no contest, WSM all the way...bullet selection is great, you can load it down or you can load it full bore. If you are recoil sensitive, use a lighter bullet and load it down. Going after Elk? Get close to max and go...the 300WSM, in my experience is also very accurate.

6.5 PRC, have shoot many animals with both, elk, sheep, deer, bears, caribou, antelope. from ranges of 40 yds to 885 yds, I see no need for the recoil of the 300WSM, I hate muzzle breaks so if were to shoot a rifle that needed one it wouldn't,t be any thing .30 caliber, I would step up to the 338 edge with ADG BRASS

Ever try a Limbsaver pad? It's a gamechanger.

You could always throw the Sherman short mag into the mix. Pretty nifty rounds. I'm probably going to convert my 300wsm to a 6.5ss or 270ss in the next year or so. They fit in a standard short action and still get good speed.

The bad thing about the Sherman is the lack of factory ammo if he needed to buy a box from somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.