6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM?

Here's my Tikka t3 6.5 saum done by hells canyon. Has a long throat for heavy bullets. Shoots prime 142 smk @ 3050 and sub moa. Like the little thing a lot!
Nice setup
What's the specs on that beast?

Nice setup
What's the specs on that beast?
Mesa altitude stock, HCA hvy hunter 26" 1:7.5 barrel, throated around 150, 298 neck, HCA billet Tikka magazine, mbm ti beast brake, sterk ti bolt handle, Hawkins 25moa rings, vx6hd 3-18x44 but that's gonna change. Weighs 8.7# scoped. He's building me another in 300wsm with his new 23" summit barrel. I'm going full ti on all components and fluting the bolt. Hope it to be under 8# dressed out. Also have a switch barrel getting chambered in 257 saum, 26" proof sendero 1:7.5tw to shoot blackjacks. Tikkas are a great base to build the saum/wsm line of cases, especially with mike's new billet magazine.

why not a 6.5 wsm ? I shoot mine out of a short action savage, no special throating and getting 3200 with a 26" barrel and RL26 and 140 bergers. Brass is easy to make out of 270wsm brass. Down side is no factory options!

Picture of my 6.5 SAUM with the bull I shot last year. Rifle now sports a 300 WSM barrel.

image.jpeg

why not a 6.5 wsm ? I shoot mine out of a short action savage, no special throating and getting 3200 with a 26" barrel and RL26 and 140 bergers. Brass is easy to make out of 270wsm brass. Down side is no factory options!
6.5 saum will run very similar speeds in a 26" barrel with 10% less powder.

I'll play along.
6.5PRC
Tikka T3
Iota stock
Carbon Six chambered and installed barrel
INSITE HEATHEN brake
VX6HD 3-18x50
Group shot with factory ELDX
Factory trigger breaks at 2lbs.
Bottom metal has been upgraded to an Atlas since these were taken.

This rifle is light and wields easily. Recoil is less than my .308.

Speeds right at 2900 with factory ammo.
7DB2108C-9435-4D62-8D39-C463B8630563.jpeg
E0C182BD-5EBC-4FCA-9CB1-0C00A702B862.jpeg
FF0CB2A8-2020-4D23-BDCD-8822528E15BD.jpeg

I just received my Defiance action and am getting ready to order a Proof 1-7.5 twist barrel. My question is there any advantage of a SAUM over a PRC? I strictly handload and I want a 24" barrel. This will be for deer, steel and possibly elk out to 700 yards?
Congrats on your Defiance action. Im a little late on this subject so I hope you made a choice. I thank Aaron Davidson from Gunwerks made a 6.5 RSAUM and was very pleased with it. Id have to find his article on it. If I remember right he was getting like 3200 - 3300 FPS from a 140 grain Berger bullet. It was outperforming the 264 win mag in a short case. Ill keep looking for that article.

I recently bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro which I have found to be very accurate, as in 7/8" 3 shot groups at 200 yards with Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter factory ammo. 3 shot groups B/C the ammo is 'spensive.

It has the standard X-Bolt center feed polymer magazine which barely fits the SAMMI length round. A good and reliable magazine as I found with a previous 6.5 CM pro (that is now For Sale in the LRH Classifieds).

I went for the 6.5 PRC because I think that cartridge will become popular, especially in the western US and Canada. But hey, I could be wrong. Still it is a very good cartridge for all Nevada game including bull elk at 300 yards or less. And I wanted the lower weight of a short action rifle that the 6.5 PRC offered.

Eric B.

I recently bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro which I have found to be very accurate, as in 7/8" 3 shot groups at 200 yards with Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter factory ammo. 3 shot groups B/C the ammo is 'spensive.

It has the standard X-Bolt center feed polymer magazine which barely fits the SAMMI length round. A good and reliable magazine as I found with a previous 6.5 CM pro (that is now For Sale in the LRH Classifieds).

I went for the 6.5 PRC because I think that cartridge will become popular, especially in the western US and Canada. But hey, I could be wrong. Still it is a very good cartridge for all Nevada game including bull elk at 300 yards or less. And I wanted the lower weight of a short action rifle that the 6.5 PRC offered.

Eric B.
The SAUM is a short action as well. It comes down to two things, whether you want to reload or not... or a factory rifle