6.5 PRC issues

bebb25

New to this form and first time posting. Been around hunting and shooting all my life but never been much in to reloading. I have started messing around a bit with it and probably know just enough to get me in to trouble. My issue is I picked up a new rifle in 6.5 PRC. Did the barrel brake in and all that and the rifle shoots really well. But after I was done with the brake in and about 30 rounds without cleaning the barrel I started to get pressure signs and heavy bolt lift. Troubleshot the issue a bit and found that I was getting a lot of build up where the neck ends and the freebore begins. Don't know if that is the right terminology. Anyways I can load a live round and eject it and the bullet has scratches all the way around I'll put in picture. Any help or info would be great. I have never had the happen to me before. Thanks
Oh and shooting factory 143 ELD-X nothing fancy

Attachments

• E8534C1C-05D7-415C-90D4-60E342FCD1F2.jpeg
    E8534C1C-05D7-415C-90D4-60E342FCD1F2.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • B32A3E3D-268B-4A19-B5F1-85D088192B46.jpeg
    B32A3E3D-268B-4A19-B5F1-85D088192B46.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,151
  • BA73A381-97C6-470E-90B7-F7EB8D8A561B.jpeg
    BA73A381-97C6-470E-90B7-F7EB8D8A561B.jpeg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 1,156
Borescope pictures aren't great but you may have a carbon ring. This could scratch the bullets like you see and result in increased pressure. Clean the barrel really well ... run a couple well-saturated patches with a carbon remover down the barrel, then let that soak for a while before patching it out. May also need to take a brush and little elbow grease to get it down to bare metal again, but you'll get there.

Borescope pictures aren't great but you may have a carbon ring. This could scratch the bullets like you see and result in increased pressure. Clean the barrel really well ... run a couple well-saturated patches with a carbon remover down the barrel, then let that soak for a while before patching it out. May also need to take a brush and little elbow grease to get it down to bare metal again, but you'll get there.
Thank you for your reply. One more question. Maybe two. Is it common to see a carbon ring after 30 rounds after cleaning and if so I would have to clean the carbon ring out of it every 30 rounds. I have another 6.5 PRC with a different manufacturer and haven't had this issue yet and I know every gun is different. Do you think it's the way my new one is chambered?

Some guns just take longer (more shots) to break in. Just keep cleaning and shooting. My CA Ridgeline took about 200rd before peak accuracy.
Copy ok. Mine also is a CA Ridgeline FFT. I have 90rds through it now. I'll keep cleaning and shooting and see what happens. Thank you

Burning that much powder it does not suprise me you are getting a carbon ring if the neck area is even just a little bit rough. Clean it out well with Carb Cleaner or Carbon Out, re-bore scope. If it is not nice and smooth, take some JB and work it over till it is. It isn't going to smooth out on its own based on what I can see in the pictures.

WAY, way, too much,.. Chamber Pressure !
Swipes on Brass !
You got,..either bad Handloads or, Undersized, "Throat" area,. ( Maybe BOTH ) IMO
Looks Like, a BAD "Chamber" since using,.. Factory Ammo !
Send IT, back to Factory, like 300 PRC said !
I would NOT shoot this Rifle, UNTIL,. Fixed and Test fired Cases,..are, supplied to you !

Last edited:
Between ejector marks, swipe marks and flattened primers you got to be hitting close to 80,000 psi, maybe more. Exactly what are the loads you are shooting? Have you shot any factory ammo out of this gun, clean and carboned and are the case heads the same as these hand loads. If they are, gun needs to go back. Whatever, I would NOT shoot anymore of those hand loads.

Between ejector marks, swipe marks and flattened primers you got to be hitting close to 80,000 psi, maybe more. Exactly what are the loads you are shooting? Have you shot any factory ammo out of this gun, clean and carboned. Whatever, I would NOT shoot anymore of those hand loads.
He said they are factory???

Recent Posts