Hornady 147 ELD-M in 6.5 PRC issues

Allen Kitts

I just got a new rifle and went to the range this weekend to get it broken in and to see what I could get for groups and velocities from several loads that gentlemen on this site as well as Gunwerks had shared with me.

First I started with some 143 ELD-X ammo that I had from a previous rifle so I could get it on target and get the barrel fouled. Shot five, cleaned the barrel etc. Keeping all the velocities recorded. Averaged around 2935 FPS for the first ten shots, factory published velocity is 2960FPS. I then went to a reload that Gunwerks had given me, 147 ELD-M with 58.5 Grains of Retumbo and shot five of those, recorded velocity. Average right around 2900 FPS as was expected. I shot one more load with 156 Grain Bergers and was just under 2900 FPS so was pretty happy overall with the speed the new gun was getting with these loads. The groups for trhe 143's, 147 reloads and the 156's were all les than 1 MOA. I then went to the Hornady Factory 147 Grain ELD-M and shot five rounds and the average was around 2710 FPS for five shots and the group was terrible about 2-1/2". The factory list them at 2910FPS. I shot five more with the same results. Has anyone ever experienced velocity swings like this before?

All of the other loads actually were faster than I thought they would be given the shorter length of the barrel but it was a pleasant surprise. I bought the 147 ELD-M factory ammo as it is what my guide recommended for a hunt next year in New Zealand. I was hoping that I could shoot the factory stuff since they have it available in New Zealand and you never know what is going to happen to your gun and ammo when flying on a plane but based on the velocities and the groups I think I will have to pass. I was just curious if anyone else had ever seen a 200 FPS inaccuracy of velocities on factory ammo? I was told may 20 FPS per 2" of barrel length so 200 FPS is quite a stretch.

My setup is a Gunwerks ClymR rifle with 22" 1 in 8 twist barrel.
Temperature was right around 74-75 degrees.
Altitude was 3200'

Thanks for any insight you can share.

I never checked velocity on the factory 147s. My Clymr is 20" barrel and the 147s shoot 1/2 moa. I might get to range tomorrow if I do I'll check velocity on mine.

Maybe try a box of factory 147eldm?

Last edited by a moderator:
With 2.5" groups and a 200 ft/sec loss in velocity from a custom rifle, I'd be calling Hornady. I doubt that I could get any of my custom rifles to shoot 2.5moa even if I tried.

I think he said that's what he was shooting

I re-read it, you are correct.

To the OP, I believe hornady factory loads are usually on the slower side.

Also for whatever reason, my 6.5 creed initially shot the factory 147eldm poorly just like your PRC. However after a few hundred rounds it now shoots them quite well.

My Clymr is 20" running a gunwerks 6 suppressor

The turret is cut for a 147 eldm factory and it is printed 2839 fps at 5000' elevation

I'm at about 2400' and I'm getting 2815fps

I'm getting 2950 with the berger 140vld hand load (gunwerks load data)

D1455D2B-8CFA-4291-9CCA-2074CF335827.jpeg

I see.

Good looking rifle.

Worst case scenario you could probably use sight tape on the turret and write the corresponding yardage by hand for whatever velocity you are actually getting.

Recent Posts