6.5 PRC w/147 ELD-M

After shooting a spike bull at 270 yards with a 300WM and 208 ELDM and my bullet not even touch the inside of the far wall of his rib cage I've moved to ELDX which didn't exactly penetrate a ton on a bull this year.
Secondly, in my opinion 6.5s shooting frangible aren't intended for bull elk. It's asking for trouble.

I think he was using an ELDM 45046.jpeg

Lefty, I ould use the 143's if I could find some. With a 147, I aim about where the diagram is, way back from the shoulder....they flop HARD!

I agree with your assessment, do not aim for the shoulder with 147's. If I ever see the 143's for sale, 10 boxes will be headed my way. I also want to try the 142g Nosler LRAB.

YUP agreed,.. those Bullets and, the 140 gr. Elite Hunter, Bergers, will work,.. BEST !
Hard to find, the ABLR's too, tho !
EVERYBODY on the Planet, is shooting, a 6.5 of some sort or, another !
Happy to have my .270 WSM and all, the Bullets that,.. I NEED !
Be Patient, the 143 ELD-X's,.. WILL,. show up ! They HAVE gotten, VERY Popular as they, Kill,.. "well" !

YUP agreed,.. those Bullets and, the 140 gr. Elite Hunter, Bergers, will work,.. BEST !
Be Patient, the 143 ELD-X's,.. WILL,. show up ! They HAVE gotten, VERY Popular as they, Kill,.. "well" !
The consensus on Accurate shooter.com from target shooters is that the 147's blow up at speeds beyond 2900 fps. 5R rifling may help in this matter. Most people have quit shooting these bullets that are serious competitors. The 147 has a thin jacket compared to Berger Hunting bullets. I shoot the 147's very well with AA4350 in a 6.5x47 lapua throated for this bullet, so does my shooting pard. Next up will be the 260 AI with a possible velocity of 2900+.
I have been shooting a 6.5 of some sort for over 50 yrs , and have about every bullet that's been made in the 6.5 cal . In my opinion the Hammer Hunter bullets do everything a bullet is supposed too do and then some . It doesn't matter where your impact is up close or far away behind the shoulder or in the shoulder the bullet performs the same everytime as long as the impact vel is 1800 fps and above , you can't spin them too fast or drive them too fast. I don't look any further than Hammer bullets anymore , they are easy too get and and load for . Go too the Hammer Hunter bullet terminal performance page picture heavy and you will see what others experience is with Hammer bullets . The main reason I started shooting Hammer bullets was the availability , now I'm hooked .

Hard Rock, did you find the Hammers easy to tune? Was there a specific "jump" they like, similar to the Barnes ttsx?

I shoot a lot of targets.

Nice to have options in this day and age, war looming is going to get supply even tighter.

Hard Rock, did you find the Hammers easy to tune? Was there a specific "jump" they like, similar to the Barnes ttsx?

I shoot a lot of targets.

Nice to have options in this day and age, war looming is going to get supply even tighter.
Very easy too tune load development less than 15 bullets start .025 from the lands they are not sensitive too jump.

I researched this combo for awhile for a buddy that I am leading for. I found alot of info about bullet failures so I waited till I could find some ELDX and other bullets to start working on loads for him.

For 500 and under try Hammers or Barnes.

I am not trying to start a bullet debate, i am only asking has anyone killed elk at 4-500 yds with 6.5 PRC w/147ELD-M, mine is the very best shooting rifle i own, just curious if it could do the job. I do know i want an exit hole.
Here are some stats I have gathered that are quite impressive regarding the 6.5 PRC round. Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• XXX 6.5 PRC ballistic comparisons copy.pdf
    405 KB · Views: 175

Recent Posts