6.5 PRC with 147ELD-M

Allen Kitts

My new shooting stick is finally done and I will be starting the process of getting a hunting load worked up for New Zealand. I will be hunting Red Deer and Tahr in 2023. This is a bucket list hunt for me so I want to make sure of my equipment and my loads. The guide recommended the 147 grain ELD-M out of the 6.5. I have another 6.5 PRC that I am shooting 124 Grain Hammer Hunters out of but have only killed Antelope and a few does with it. My performance was great with the 124 grain Hammers on those animals but it seems to me to be a little light for Red Deer. Just my thoughts. I have no experience with Red Deer at all but am assuming they are about the size of a good cow elk. I also have no experience with the ELD-M. I had originally thought that I would go with the 140 Grain Berger Elite Hunters and they have worked well for me out of my 6.5 x 284 for animal in South Africa on up to Kudu sized game but the guide recommended the 147's so I thought I should ask the question.

What are your thoughts and experience with 147 ELD-M's on Elk sized game?

Rifle is a Gunwerks Clymr
22" Carbon Fiber Barrel
1-8 Twist
It will have a 4-16 x 50 Nightforce ATACR Scope
Gunwerks Unitary Rings
Load Data from Gunwerks for this rifle is as follows. This will be my starting point.
ADG Brass
Fed 215M Primers
COAL 2.955
58.5 Grains of Retumbo

123_1.JPEG

My dad has killed 5 or so cow elk with 147's from his 6.5CM doing 2850fps and my kid killed a nice bull with 147's from his 6.5x47L doing 2725fps. I'm converting my kids to 6.5PRC in the next month and I just built my dad a 6.5 PRC. Both will shoot 147's if they shoot tiny groups like they do now.

My dad has killed 5 or so cow elk with 147's from his 6.5CM doing 2850fps and my kid killed a nice bull with 147's from his 6.5x47L doing 2725fps. I'm converting my kids to 6.5PRC in the next month and I just built my dad a 6.5 PRC. Both will shoot 147's if they shoot tiny groups like they do now.
Thanks for the reply that is very helpful information. Were any of the elk taken at any distance? We are being told shots out to posibly 600 yards.

One of my dad's was just under 500, 496 if I remember right. My kids bull was 200 last year. I'd be more worried about close rather then far. The old 140 Amax's are tougher then the 147 ELD-M'S. I'm not sure how the ELD-M version of those are but I killed several elk with those and a deer at 1026yds out of my 6.5-300wm doing 3265fps.

Read this article for some great info that should help you. Focus here is on the 143 ELDX but this will give you a excellent and solid data starting point. I run the 144 Berger Hybrid with fantastic results out of a 7.5 Twist 22" Proof, H4831SC around 2950-2975 fps.

Part1:

Part2:

JAYgs8163,
Thanks for the reply. I have been loading for the 6.5 PRC for several years now, I just have not had any experience with the 147 grain ELD-M. I was just looking for some real world data from guys who have used them on Elk sized game.

My new shooting stick is finally done and I will be starting the process of getting a hunting load worked up for New Zealand. I will be hunting Red Deer and Tahr in 2023. This is a bucket list hunt for me so I want to make sure of my equipment and my loads. The guide recommended the 147 grain ELD-M out of the 6.5. I have another 6.5 PRC that I am shooting 124 Grain Hammer Hunters out of but have only killed Antelope and a few does with it. My performance was great with the 124 grain Hammers on those animals but it seems to me to be a little light for Red Deer. Just my thoughts. I have no experience with Red Deer at all but am assuming they are about the size of a good cow elk. I also have no experience with the ELD-M. I had originally thought that I would go with the 140 Grain Berger Elite Hunters and they have worked well for me out of my 6.5 x 284 for animal in South Africa on up to Kudu sized game but the guide recommended the 147's so I thought I should ask the question.

22" Carbon Fiber Barrel
1-8 Twist
Gunwerks Unitary Rings
Load Data from Gunwerks for this rifle is as follows. This will be my starting point.
ADG Brass
Fed 215M Primers
COAL 2.955
58.5 Grains of Retumbo

View attachment 373368
VIDEOS
147 grain ELD-M 6.5 PRC

22" Carbon Fiber Barrel
1-8 Twist
Gunwerks Unitary Rings
ADG Brass
Fed 215M Primers
COAL 2.955
58.5 Grains of Retumbo

View attachment 373368

Quote: A short hunting trip in Canterbury, New Zealand, looking for a Red Deer. Found one! The first kill with the Hornady 147gr ELD-M out of my .260 Sako 85 Finnlight. Unfortunately the cameraman (me) is incompetent once again, but results look promising - dead right there, rolling down the hill without taking a step at 470m range.

22" Carbon Fiber Barrel
1-8 Twist
Gunwerks Unitary Rings
ADG Brass
Fed 215M Primers
COAL 2.955
58.5 Grains of Retumbo

View attachment 373368

Technical ELD-M Bullet Performance Details • 147 Gr ELD-M • 6.5 PRC • MV 3,000 FPS • 400 Yards • 10-15° Downhill Shot • Recovered Bullet Weight - 21 Gr. • The bullet hit just off the top rear edge of the left shoulder blade blowing a fist sized hole through the rib cage in the top of the chest cavity. The bullet angled down and forward going through the front of the right shoulder bone and almost exited the hide on the front of the shoulder close to the neck. • The buck dropped immediately upon impact.

22" Carbon Fiber Barrel
1-8 Twist
Gunwerks Unitary Rings
ADG Brass
Fed 215M Primers
COAL 2.955
58.5 Grains of Retumbo

View attachment 373368