6.5 PRC w/147 ELD-M

The consensus on Accurate shooter.com from Serious Competitive target shooters is that the 147's blow up at speeds beyond 2900 fps. 5R rifling may help in this matter. Most(not all) people have quit shooting these bullets that are serious competitors. The 147 has a thin jacket compared to Berger Hunting bullets.

I shoot the 147's very well with AA4350 in a 6.5x47 lapua throated for this bullet, so does my shooting pard. Next up will be the 260 AI with a possible velocity of 2900+. I have 1500 of these 147's and was determined to make them work, hit pay dirt with AA4350 with a cci 450 and Tula Mag primers where tiny bug hole groups are the norm.
Weird. I ran several thousand in a 6.5-284 with a 28" barrel at 3020 in a 4 groove proof and 6 groove schneider. Never had a failure.

This is my son's bull 2 shots at 400 yards with 143gr eld-x in 6.5 prc. 1 was pass through the other bullet was found on exit side just under the hide.

Attachments

• 20211108_105031.jpg
    20211108_105031.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 169
  • 20211108_142759.jpg
    20211108_142759.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
I killed a bull at 100 yds with that combo a couple years ago and have killed probably 10 deer with it at ranges from 200-800. If you're absolutely dead set on an exit hole, it's not the bullet for you. Not sure I've ever seen an ELDM exit on big game, other than maybe antelope. A Barnes LRX or similar solid or controlled expansion bullet is the ticket if you think you need an exit.

The 147 does have a tendency to come apart in the air when pushed fast in some fast twist rate barrels. If your rifle likes them, you test them and they're holding together, then they're a geat hunting bullet.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate on elk with that combo if you're confident with how it shoots. My first choice on elk would be a 7mm flavor, but it's definitely capable. Keep in mind, the high impact velocities are the Achilles heel of that bullet. The father out you go, the better it holds together, but the tradeoff is it usually shoots lights out and has exceptional BC and wind performance. That bull shot at 100 took 2 steps and tipped over. But the bullet didn't penetrate very well. It simply blew up and shotgun blasted lungs, no sign on the off side shoulder (slightly quartering away). From my experience that same shot at 400 would have liquified both lungs and left the jacket and base of the bullet in the offside shoulder.

The 6.5 cal., ELD-M's have, a .023 thick Jacket at, the "Shank" ( quite, Thin ! ) and are NOT recommended for, Big Game, by Hornady.
The ELD-X's have a .037 thick Jacket at, the "Shank" ( much thicker and Tougher ! ) and ARE, the Recommended Big Game Bullet, by Horn.
Eld-M are OK at,.. the Longer Distance's when the Bullet's Velocity, has Time to, slow down. ( Yes, "some" Hunter's, like them ).
ELD-M's are, "Rough" Destructive, leaving larger Holes, W/ Blood Shot Meat at, the closer Ranges, due to having a THIN Jacket and the Explosiveness at,.. HIGH Velocity ! Probably do GREAT with, a "Boiler Room", Hit !
Many Match Target shooter's are Complaining about, "Blow Up's" using the "M's", in the Air,.. before, hitting their Target.
My advice would be, to TEST, any/ all, Bullets for, Yourself !
I will use, the ELD-X's, in my 6.5 for Deer, Antelope and Elk at, "Reasonable" Ranges as,..
I have seen, First Hand, what they "Do" on Muley's and like, the Performance ( ALL "Pass Thru's" or, just under, the Far side, Hide ).

Last edited:
I am not trying to start a bullet debate, i am only asking has anyone killed elk at 4-500 yds with 6.5 PRC w/147ELD-M, mine is the very best shooting rifle i own, just curious if it could do the job. I do know i want an exit hole.
Double punched an elk at 600 yards with a 6.5-284 Norma with the 147 eldm he didn't go far. 30 yards. Two days prior shot a mule deer buck at 130 yards dropped in his tracks immediately. Same gun.

The consensus on Accurate shooter.com from Serious Competitive target shooters is that the 147's blow up at speeds beyond 2900 fps. 5R rifling may help in this matter. Most(not all) people have quit shooting these bullets that are serious competitors. The 147 has a thin jacket compared to Berger Hunting bullets.

I shoot the 147's very well with AA4350 in a 6.5x47 lapua throated for this bullet, so does my shooting pard. Next up will be the 260 AI with a possible velocity of 2900+. I have 1500 of these 147's and was determined to make them work, hit pay dirt with AA4350 with a cci 450 and Tula Mag primers where tiny bug hole groups are the norm.
Have shot hundreds through my 6.5PRC at an avg velocity of 3020fps, no once had one blown up in flight. Have also killed a few mule deer with them from 70yds to 630yds, the bullet worked great. If it shoots good in your rifle, you'll be able to put it where it needs to go and the elk will die.

147 ELDM out of a PRC was good to me last year at 2900 ft/s. Pronghorn at 220, mule deer at 130 and 210, and an elk at a little over 300. I would be selective on shot angles with elk but I feel like that's a good practice anytime you're on the light end of the bullet/caliber spectrum for a given species.

I am not trying to start a bullet debate, i am only asking has anyone killed elk at 4-500 yds with 6.5 PRC w/147ELD-M, mine is the very best shooting rifle i own, just curious if it could do the job. I do know i want an exit hole.
Yes, 915 yards and she didn't take one step. Jacket was under the skin on the opposite side.

It will not exit.

The question, how do the 147's perform on deer at 100 yards on Broadside shoulder shots?

Thanks in advance!
They're devastating. They will kill very quickly and ruin a lot of meat. I've taken one mule deer at 90 yards and an elk at 550 and my stepdad used my rifle and took an elk at 478 yards. For deer it works well if your ok with loosing meat and don't have to have an exit. You may or may not get one on a deer. An elk is very unlikely. My wife took a deer with the 147 at over 900 yards and it did exit and left a golf ball size exit. It worked really good at that velocity.

The question, how do the 147's perform on deer at 100 yards on Broadside shoulder shots?

Thanks in advance!
@ Vince,..
Read my Post #18,.. IMHO you WILL LOSE,.. a chit Ton of, Shoulder Roast to "Blood shot" at, CLOSE Range, W/ High Velocity !
Yes, the 147's ARE very accurate, but only have, a THIN Jacket at, the Base ( Shank ).
They work like, a Berger H-VLD,.. IF, placed, in the "Boiler Room" and are great for, the Longer Ranges ( having had, a chance to slow down ).
I'm using the TOUGHER, ELD-X's in my 6.5 Creed and Berger 140 gr. Classic Hunters, in my .270 WSM.
The Berger .270 Bullet, passed THRU, BOTH Shoulder Blades and a Ton of Meat in between, on my Bull, last Oct and he was,.. DRT @ 110 yds !
Very little, "Blood shot" meat, the Bullet's "Base", was laying in, the Far side,.. Hair ( KaPow,.. Hooves, in Air ).
My 21 y/o grandson made, 3 one Shot, DRT kills on Deer with, his 6.5 PRC and the ELD-X's, ALL Pass Thru's or just under, the Hide 225 to 468
Yards with, Small, Golf Ball, sized, exits ! I Liked, the Performance so well that, I bought 300 for, my New Creed Tikka ( I like to PRACTICE,.. a LOT ! ).

Last edited:
They will work fine and will kill an elk just fine. I doubt they will exit on an elk most bullets won't.

For exits, original accubonds usually will, or some of the monos. I never had a Berger, Edlx, or LRABs exit an elk and I've shot allot of them with.
I've never had a 143 ELD-X fail to exit, even on elk. Closest shot was 250ish. ELD-M are another matter

Recent Posts