6.5 PRC

I don't know about that the 300 wsm is pretty dang popular.
Wsms are the most accurate and easily tunable cartridges I've owned, all 3 calibers.
ADG is about to release 300 wsm brass in February, I've already had a 7-300 wsm improved wildcat reamer designed and should get my barrel in a few weeks.

The prc will obviously remain more popular given the massive marketing campaign
Hence the reason I said it is the only one of the WSM's that retains much life in the current market.

It is though rather far down the list when it comes to the most popular 30 calibers nationwide.

Like many is it primarily a niche cartridge.

Any idea how much it weighs?
6 lbs if I remember right. It's not that light. I have not tried to lighten it yet tho. I can easily machine the forend, which is a tc rifle end with a internal hanger. Maybe remove some weight elsewhere but haven't really messed with it. It is supposed to be my back pack gun for hiking, dirtbiking, etc adventures where it is tucked inside the pack. I need to get out and play with it more. It's rewarding shooting stuff 500-800 with a pistol-ish.

6 lbs if I remember right. It's not that light. I have not tried to lighten it yet tho. I can easily machine the forend, which is a tc rifle end with a internal hanger. Maybe remove some weight elsewhere but haven't really messed with it. It is supposed to be my back pack gun for hiking, dirtbiking, etc adventures where it is tucked inside the pack. I need to get out and play with it more. It's rewarding shooting stuff 500-800 with a pistol-ish.
What's the barrel length on your 6cm and did you have to cut the end of the forend to thread your break/can on? I'm thinking about doing one in .22creedmoor would be a sweet little shooter!

What's the barrel length on your 6cm and did you have to cut the end of the forend to thread your break/can on? I'm thinking about doing one in .22creedmoor would be a sweet little shooter!
11.5. Yes I cut the end. If you go a little longer like 12-13 you'd not have to do that. It was my first rodeo and no idea what I was doing or how I was going to do it. That is if you chose a rifle forend. The pistol end is really small but also doesn't allow for much contact on a bag etc. Trade off I guess.

I had a great shooting 6.5 prc but it's gone now !! It was a awesome shooter with 156 Berger's and was fun to bang steel with. And with great ballistics also but the PRC was just not for me so it's gone. People go crazy for the PRC and they are great cartridge but I don't want to own a gun that it's almost impossible to find reloading components for even though I hoarded like a mofo before I got the PRC.
Like me you have a great gun and no bullets or cases or primers! We all could use a better representative in the white house!

2C690520-86FA-4AC7-8739-286275D94209.jpeg

I had a great shooting 6.5 prc but it's gone now !! It was a awesome shooter with 156 Berger's and was fun to bang steel with. And with great ballistics also but the PRC was just not for me so it's gone. People go crazy for the PRC and they are great cartridge but I don't want to own a gun that it's almost impossible to find reloading components for even though I hoarded like a mofo before I got the PRC.
That's just about all of them right now.

It's clearly just an opinion but the reality is that is more shooter than cartridge at that point as long as terminal ballistics criteria is met. The PRC generally meets the criteria depending on which rule you choose to follow. I run a PRC, 6.5-284's prior to that, I don't really consider it a 1k elk rifle either but have no doubt it will get the job done if I need it to. Still runs over 1900 fps and 1300 lbs where I am at 1k.
LR is not just about terminal ballistics. Its about hitting your target. 1k and elk is a .3 cal and up game unless you dont mind wounding some because of poor shot placement. Even with a 338 you had better shoot a lot an know what your doing. Long kills with small stuff is kind of like a wallet group. We never see the ugly stuff posted. Theres plenty of ugly out there too.

Last edited:
LR is not just about terminal ballistics. Its about hitting your target. 1k and elk is a .3 cal and up game unless you dont mind wounding some because of poor shot placement. Even with a 338 you had better shoot a lot an know what your doing. Long kills with small stuff is kind of like a wallet group. We never see the ugly stuff posted.
Hitting your target? So, why is that even a conversation. It's kind of a no sh!t Sherlock comment. Lots of calibers plenty capable of excellent accuracy at long range and it's well proven in many disciplines of shooting. I assume everyone knows that. It's all about terminal performance. Caliber can be included in that but shooting a .3 has nothing to do it being better or worse. Given of course you actually hit the target correctly .308 Cartridge is way under gunned for 1k and significantly less lethal than 6.5 PRC. The .3 arguement may have creditabilty if qualified with the proper data to show bullet weight, velocity, and design. Of course that is all related to terminal ballistics but I guess science doesn't count as long as it's .3 or bigger.

Hitting your target? So, why is that even a conversation. It's kind of a no sh!t Sherlock comment. Lots of calibers plenty capable of excellent accuracy at long range and it's well proven in many disciplines of shooting. I assume everyone knows that. It's all about terminal performance. Caliber can be included in that but shooting a .3 has nothing to do it being better or worse. Given of course you actually hit the target correctly .308 Cartridge is way under gunned for 1k and significantly less lethal than 6.5 PRC. The .3 arguement may have creditabilty if qualified with the proper data to show bullet weight, velocity, and design. Of course that is all related to terminal ballistics but I guess science doesn't count as long as it's .3 or bigger.
It's a good 1k target round and probably excellent to 750-800 on most game but just not enough energy left for Moose/Elk beyond those ranges to be considered really an effective round.

I'd say to be safe one should limit that size game to no more than 600yds based on the remaining energy.

You can only put so much mass down range through a 6.5 tube and even loading lighter rounds at blazing speeds like I do with the 6.5LRM 600 is about it for the safe margin limit to me.

It's a good 1k target round and probably excellent to 750-800 on most game but just not enough energy left for Moose/Elk beyond those ranges to be considered really an effective round.

I'd say to be safe one should limit that size game to no more than 600yds based on the remaining energy.

You can only put so much mass down range through a 6.5 tube and even loading lighter rounds at blazing speeds like I do with the 6.5LRM 600 is about it for the safe margin limit to me.
Yeah I get it. I tried to make it clear I'm not advocating it is a 1k elk round. On paper it meets criteria points for being such but it's not ideal in my mind. We all know it will do it with correct shot placement but the margin for error is wider with smaller calibers with less mass given equal fps. My point is that I'd take a 6.5 156 berger over a .308 150, any day. 7mm guys argue against the 6.5 but will take a 7-08 with a 140 to the field as comparison. Goodness.

At any rate all your points are understood. I've seen a lot of elk taken with a wide variety of weapons (guiding etc) and a couple things stand out: a bad shot is a bad day, elk aren't that hard to kill with correct shot placement.

I am curious, what energy and velocity do you like to see at 1k?

Yeah I get it. I tried to make it clear I'm not advocating it is a 1k elk round. On paper it meets criteria points for being such but it's not ideal in my mind. We all know it will do it with correct shot placement but the margin for error is wider with smaller calibers with less mass given equal fps. My point is that I'd take a 6.5 156 berger over a .308 150, any day. 7mm guys argue against the 6.5 but will take a 7-08 with a 140 to the field as comparison. Goodness.

At any rate all your points are understood. I've seen a lot of elk taken with a wide variety of weapons (guiding etc) and a couple things stand out: a bad shot is a bad day, elk aren't that hard to kill with correct shot placement.

I am curious, what energy and velocity do you like to see at 1k?
For Animals in that range I think you're getting into dangerous territory below about 1,250 Ft-lbs.

Those are really tough, thick bodies and you just need a lot of remaining momentum to get good penetration.

For Animals in that range I think you're getting into dangerous territory below about 1,250 Ft-lbs.

Those are really tough, thick bodies and you just need a lot of remaining momentum to get good penetration.
Yeah I see a min of 1k and 1500 on the 2 schools of thought. 1250 hits the middle. I also agree with it and believe high sectional density bullets have a better chance with deep penetration. A 6.5 prc running a 156 at 3000 hits 1372 at 1000 in my neck of the woods. That's not high elevation either. Step into high country and it's 1425. My prc's run short barrels so I'm not getting those speeds. 2920 in a 22" Puts it at 1337. My 18 at 2820 is 1213. I run 135's for wolf and they hit 1143. On paper it looks ok, but I'd not poke an elk at 1k with a 135 and likely not a 156 either. 999 maybe.

Recent Posts