Which 300?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

Question is: 300WM or 300WSM

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
.30 Nosler or .300 Ackley

300WM for sure BUT if buying a CA make sure you have the barrel twist you want in case of desire to reach out further with heavier bullets 200 gr+. 1:10 is standard but you may want as fast as 1:8 or maybe 1:9 as compromise for shooting 180's etc.

1:10 is the only choice.
I'd like to get a 1:8 or 9

Do you have a .300-08 or .300-06? I'd rather carry a 6-7 lbs .308/.30-06 here in Colorado than an 8.5 lbs .300 Magnum. Using proper bullet selection both .308 and .30-06 are capable well beyond 500 yards even for elk, your shooting ability will determine the limiting factor on range.

The effects of altitude and the weight you carry do more to damage you mentally on an elk hunt than worrying about than missing out on a long range opportunity because you think you don't have the right cartridge. I've seen quite a few hunters that are physically fit, have their brains tell them they can't do it and shut down on a hunt. I'm all for getting a new rifle, but there are better ways to prepare for any hunt than buying a new rifle especially if you got a pretty decent medium bore deer rifle in the safe.

I switched from a 30/06 last year to a old school 308 SA,,, of course I load hot 180gr boolitz for the hunting season here in the North for mostly Elk, Moose and lots of Deer,,, then tap it cool for the off season predator control thing...

I came off the Magnum diet 7 years ago with just as many successful harvests as in the past,,, l'm more focused on shot placement then ever before thanks to the F Class shooting sports...

Find what works for you and get at it,,, that's what really counts,,, sight in a go kill stuff... Nothingness more fun than filling the freezer with good times I'd say.

For a great lightweight; 300 Win Mag with 1:9" twist, 5R, 24" SS in a Bartlein #3 contour. Doesn't have to be a Bartlein barrel but, they are right up there, among the best.

Personally, I don't mind the slightly heavier 1:9" twist, 5R, 26" SS Remington Sendero contour, and would probably go with a Rock Creek or Bartlein. The small investment in additional weight pays big dividends in stability and consistent accuracy. YMMV

I switched from a 30/06 last year to a old school 308 SA,,, of course I load hot 180gr boolitz for the hunting season here in the North for mostly Elk, Moose and lots of Deer,,, then tap it cool for the off season predator control thing...

I came off the Magnum diet 7 years ago with just as many successful harvests as in the past,,, l'm more focused on shot placement then ever before thanks to the F Class shooting sports...

Find what works for you and get at it,,, that's what really counts,,, sight in a go kill stuff... Nothingness more fun than filling the freezer with good times I'd say.
I still shoot my magnums all the time, and enjoy shooting them. And my main deer rifle is a 7mmRemMag. But I have tons of fun shooting my .308 Win. and 6.5 Grendel DMR. No recoil, accurate, fun, and cheap to reload for. My favorite handgun to shoot is my S&W 686 6" .357 Mag. Same reasons...Heavy, smooth, accurate, low-recoil, and cheap to reload good ammo for it.

Do a 300 Win mag, 8.5 lb rifle with a brake is completely doable, and a pleasure to shoot, you will have enough powder capacity for heavy bullets and the advantage of ammunition being available everywhere, it will be enough for anything on this continent, get one, get good with it, and go kill tastie animals with it!

Both are great rounds and the 300wm would be easier to find ammo if you ran short on a trip . Just about any hardware store across the county would have some 300wm ammo . With that all being said I have a Winchester model 70 extreme in the 300wsm that shoots lights out . Good luck

Lighter weight in a 300WM will mean more recoil. I would plan on a threaded barrel so I could add a brake. 300WM would be my choice too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.