Which 300?

Theres plenty of guys in BR competition using the 300WSM with 210-215 running around that 2900FPS, plenty enough gun and bullet for elk.
You gotta do it on a med.length action and correct reamer though.

Yes plenty of gun and bullet. But its not on a short action/ short barrel package. If your gonna put a WSM in a long action and 26" barrel then get a WM and turn that 2900 into 3000. I love the short mag, in short actions...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

Question is: 300WM or 300WSM

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?

Between your two choices, I'd go with the .300 WM. Load it with 215 Berger and you're golden. I have both chambering and like them both but give the edge to the .300 WM.

Good luck!

Ok guys. I've been leaning towards the WM anyway.
So that's where I'm going.

If I don't find something at the gun show this weekend, I'll place an order early next week.

Just have to decide now on which I'll go with:
CA Mesa $1100
CA Ridgeline $1700
Fierce Fury $2000
Xbolt speed $1000
The Mesa and Fierce are in the lead because they are 24"

If I don't find something at the gun show this weekend, I'll place an order early next week.

CA Mesa $1100
CA Ridgeline $1700
Fierce Fury $2000
Xbolt speed $1000

Good on you!

FYSA, there's a CA ELR .300 WM at the classified ads for your consideration.

Last edited:

CA Mesa $1100
CA Ridgeline $1700
Fierce Fury $2000
Xbolt speed $1000
Might as well go with a .30 Nosler at that point. Shorter COAL than .300WM... Same performance, shorter package.

CA Mesa $1100
CA Ridgeline $1700
Fierce Fury $2000
Xbolt speed $1000

I'd stay away from 24" barrels. The WM really needs 26" to maximize powder burn efficiency, which yields higher velocity. Many guys will run a 28-32" barrel for this cartridge in their ELR gun. Those lengths seem a little impractical for most hunting situations.

Only problem with any offering that has the "LR" in it, weighs too much.
That ELR is like 9.5# bare.
I want this to be 8.5# max if I can. May not happen though.

For example, for some reason I'm in love with the Fierce Fury. It weighs 6.9#.
With my scope, loaded and sling, it looks like it would come out at about 8# 12oz.

I own a light and nimble 300 WSM that is my dedicated elk rifle. I push the 200 gr ELDX at 2952 fps. It's a hammer on elk. I've shot elk from 100-407 yards and they all died within feet of the shot. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot elk up to 600 yards with my rifle. That being said, if I were to do it all over again, I'd probably get something like a Christensen Arms in 300 RUM. I have one in 338 Lapua and it only weighs 7.1 lbs without a scope. It's recoil with the muzzle break is less than my 30-06. I had no problem carrying it on a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt last year and it may become my elk rifle from now on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.