Which Bullet for .300 WM

I'm surprised that the TTSX and tsx shot much different
I am not. Talked to Barnes about COAL for the two, and they insisted for same charge, same COAL, same velocity, even though the TTSX is longer, and for the COAL to be the same, the TTSX is seated deeper in the case. I have the emails to prove if you doubt me.

Woah!! That shouldn't happen!

Just to be clear…this is the federal trophy bonded tip with the yellow-orange transparent tip and not the terminal ascent with the blue tip right?

I have a vested interest in this…got 50 rounds of oh so pretty nickel plated tbt rounds loaded up for 300 win mag sitting in storage
Yes, the yellow-orange transparent tip and the pretty nickel plating. They were pretty 😍. Put a tip back in and tried it. Completely missed the target. Then used a drop of super glue. Didn't work 😪

I am not. Talked to Barnes about COAL for the two, and they insisted for same charge, same COAL, same velocity, even though the TTSX is longer, and for the COAL to be the same, the TTSX is seated deeper in the case. I have the emails to prove if you doubt me.
I don't doubt you it just surprise's me

I don't doubt you it just surprise's me
Yep, I have a real nice load with 180TSX and I wanted to load 180TTSX, looked at the data (300WBY) and they had 3.560 for both. I contacted them suggesting, a longer bullet should have either longer COAL or less powder, and they said, nope, its coorect. I know from experience, careless misshap in my part a few years ago, what happens in this situation. Bolet locked up. Good thing is was a Weatherby action and handled the extra pressure. I just double checked their website, they still show the same.
Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack.
I am with most, of the aforementioned bullets, the ones that shoot the best, would be the ones I would choose.

Last edited:
Okay that's kinda funny. My .257 weatherby (vanguard) does well with 100 tsx and 7828. My friends 257 weatherby, also a vanguard, does just so-so with 100 ttsx and 7828. Hmmmm….
When we get some colder temperatures (we are burning up down here), I will try 180TTSX in my MK V again, but this time, adjust for the correct COAL. By the way I get 0.4 at 200 with 7828 in the 300WBY.

Scirocco.
I ran out of ABs last year before my rifle elk hunt. Got my hands on a bunch of 180 TTSX. They shot just as well as the ABs, but the week before the hunt i just happened upon a big thread on here about horror stories with that exact bullet on elk. Was too late to change at that point, and just crossed my fingers and went. Long story short, shot a great bull broadside at 120yds. Shot was an inch or so behind the crease, punched a rib on the way in and proceeded to pencil a tiny hole through both lungs before exiting. Gave him 30 as i knew the shot was perfect. Walked up on him and he got up and ran off with a perfectly placed red spot on his side. Not even a limp.
Caught up with him about 50 mins later. Down and clearly sick, but needed a neck shot. 300 WM at 120yds should have been a little more devastating, especially after center punching a rib. Anyhow, a small sample size, but the thread on here was pages and pages of similar stories.
Ymmv, but something to consider. Alloys seem to vary greatly between batches. I shot a black bear with a 250gr ttsx out of my 375 ruger and you could have thrown a cat through that hole. All that to say i wont be using any TTSXs on anything but paper in the future.

Good luck on your hunt!

JME with Barnes bullets in 7mm-08, 30-06, 300 WM and 375 H&H, but my rifles always shoot them better (more accurately) after they are fouled a few shots with cheap cup and core ammo. Seems like copper fouling is copper fouling whether monolithic, or cup and core, but my experience hasn't shown they foul the same. So, I would suggest you shoot cup and cores first, then the Barnes. May not hurt to try that and see if your rifle performs similarly.
Just a thought. Best of luck finding what factory ammo works best!

Wow…..that is an anomaly!

Generally, to get Barnes to shoot good (especially the old original "X" bullet) was just the opposite! Remove all fouling from any annealed bullet jacket material….or your groups would be atrocious! The newer grooved Barnes helped with this issue! memtb

For the non-reloader shooting a 300win the Norma ammo has been shooting well for us in 2 rifles. Specifically the 150 gr. whitetail hunter line, but I suspect the other ammo will do well to. I bought a half dozen boxes as it wasn't much different for loaded ammo or brass. I'm not quite sure I just want to shoot the stuff up for the heck of it. I might just hunt it as I already have a few hundred rounds of ww brass loaded.

For the non-reloader shooting a 300win the Norma ammo has been shooting well for us in 2 rifles. Specifically the 150 gr. whitetail hunter line, but I suspect the other ammo will do well to. I bought a half dozen boxes as it wasn't much different for loaded ammo or brass. I'm not quite sure I just want to shoot the stuff up for the heck of it. I might just hunt it as I already have a few hundred rounds of ww brass loaded.
I love loading the 150gr stuff up just make sure that the factory ammo is using a quality bullet