300 WM bullet for Elk

I'm interested in trying all copper in my 300 win mag, I've read about Barnes, Hammers and a few others, lots of good reviews a few bad. TTSX I can pretty much buy over the counter, all others I'll order. Any preference from real life experience? As I understand it with Hammers I use reliable loading data, Barnes provide load data, the Barnes data looks right in line with what I load for the same weight cup and core.

I loaded the 180 Gr TTSX and thought I'd share the results. I used a ladder test and loaded 2 rounds at each 0.2 gr interval. I think I found a node at 74.4-74.6 gr. the grouping circled at 5-6 is the four rounds at those interval. It was also the where the velocity leveled off the most. Between those 2 charge weights it shot about a 0.6 MOA group with an ES of 29 and SD of 8.6. The average velocity was 2940.

I never got to a max charge or high pressure signs. So my only questions is, should I keep going for a higher node? Or is that proably near peak velocity for that round. I can post in the reloading thread if that's a better place to ask the question.
If you have limited range time prior to the hunt, I'd say you have achieved your stated goal. Group 5-6 is minute of left ventricle! I would not hunt for a little more velocity, unless you have the time and resources.

I am a big TTSX fan. And that includes experience with lots of elk and a bison.

Are you hunting Arizona?

PARTITION without even a second thought, don't send a little boy to do a man's job !!! Been around for7 decades, must be a reason...because they work !

They were the bullet by which all others were judged……"were" past tense! Many bullet improvements since the Partition reigned king! It's still good…..no longer the best! memtb

But for the use I have of the Partition, it has been just right 100% of the time, like I said under 500, we can say one is better, but results trump all else.
For longer ranges many better options exists, haven't heard anyone argue that.

Hey AZ, I did this same drill in 2018/2019 off season and called Barnes for some load data and questions. They told me something interesting regarding velocity and performance. The company had an internal chart (he would not give me a copy) that had actual minimum expansion speeds for each bullet. It surprised me that it was not the same for each bullet type. The one I remember was that in 7mm the TTSX opened at a much lower velocity than the LRX version did. He gave me .308 numbers as well. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the specific details because I simply bought the bullet types that would be the best match and noted the velocity for what I bought.

I then took those min velocities and limited my dope card to that range. Perhaps they have published this info somewhere by now but I haven't looked really hard either since then.

It might be worth giving them a shout so you can get their recommendations for min velocity fir the TTSX you are using. Maybe it buys you some more range in case that is the only opportunity that presents itself.

Anyways, they were very pleasant and helpful when I called. Best of luck on the hunt!