Which Bullet for .300 WM

Went to the range today to test out some ammo on my Browning X Bolt Western Hunter LR today. The 5 that I tried were:

Remington Corelokt Ballisting Tip 180 Grain- Shot Good
Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds 180 Grain- Shot Ok
Federal Barnes TSX 180 Grain- Close second
Federal Scirocco II 180 Grain- Best of the 5
Barnes Vor-TX TTSX 180 Grain- Worst of the 5

The two that shot the best were the Federal Barnes TSX and the Scirocco II's. Which of those would you choose for hunting elk? Most likely less than a 500 yard shot. Should I check out Federal Terminal Ascents or another bullet or stick with the TSX or Scirocco II's?

I'm assuming that you're hunting as a non-residen, meaning large expenses and limited opportunities! I would want a bullet that will likely give a pass-through from any angle. Your shots "could" range from a few yards to your 500 yards that you spoke of…..use a bullet that will maintain it's weight, give an adequate wound channel and and exit wound! As a non-resident your shooting opportunities may be somewhat limited meaning that you may not get the perfect, broadside shot that happen most often in Fairy Tales!

IMO, between those two and the range likely being under 500 yards, it no contest….the Federal TSX!

Using and satisfied with Barnes monos since the early '90's. Even the early one's that many cuss worked quite well for me…..Barnes has continued to improve their technology greatly since those days! memtb

Out of those 5, Scirocco. It is a bonded bullet, so close shots to 500+ should have no problems. Buy a bunch if it shoots well.

How far off did the 180 Scirocco amd 180 TSX differ in POI? Might be worth it to keep both in your pocket if POI is the same. 180 TSX for close and Scirocco for 300+?

The question is about the bullet. Any you tried should suffice.

The loads behind each bullet are all different which is the likely cause of the variance you see.

If you are reloading, which you indicate you are not, you can swap bullets, powder, seating depth, etc. to see what's best. In your case of factory ammo, get a good hunting round, and use what shoots the best. If you were reloading then the question of which bullet is best would take on different parameters for consideration.

I wouldn't get too fixated on one bullet vs. another if you are using any bullet that is sufficient for elk. All of the ammo you tried have taken elk by many hunters.

Since the scirocco shot the best, run with it.

The question is about the bullet. Any you tried should suffice.

The loads behind each bullet are all different which is the likely cause of the variance you see.

If you are reloading, which you indicate you are not, you can swap bullets, powder, seating depth, etc. to see what's best. In your case of factory ammo, get a good hunting round, and use what shoots the best. If you were reloading then the question of which bullet is best would take on different parameters for consideration.

I wouldn't get too fixated on one bullet vs. another if you are using any bullet that is sufficient for elk. All of the ammo you tried have taken elk by many hunters.

Since the scirocco shot the best, run with it.
Thank you sir! This is probably the most complete answer I have had so far. I've been an archery hunter most of my life and have just gotten in to the rifle game recently. I had not come across the Swift Scirrocco's before and wasn't sure if they were a decent bullet for factory ammo. If they were, it is the one I am most likely going to land on with this rifle.

My 7mm-08 is a dedicated deer rifle, so most likely staying in a soft point with that one, just knew I didn't want a soft point with the .300 win mag.

If you can find Federal Terminal Ascent ammo, buy it! I have killed 3 elk at 500+ yds with this bullet and it's predecessor. I shoot a .300 WSM and these were the best performing bullets I had ever used. I'm a firm believer in bullets that expand properly and leave an exit wound. Plus must be very accurate. The TA exceeded my expectations in both categories. With that said, I load my own and the .308 200 gr TA bullets became impossible to find, so I have switched to the 181 gr Hammer Hunter bullet. It's as accurate at the TA, but I haven't killed anything with it yet. However, I'm confident it will have excellent terminal performance. If the TA shoots accurately in your rifle, you don't need to look further.

Went to the range today to test out some ammo on my Browning X Bolt Western Hunter LR today. The 5 that I tried were:

The two that shot the best were the Federal Barnes TSX and the Scirocco II's. Which of those would you choose for hunting elk? Most likely less than a 500 yard shot. Should I check out Federal Terminal Ascents or another bullet or stick with the TSX or Scirocco II's?
Terminal Ascent would be my first choice if your barrel likes it.

Of the ones listed, the Swift is my first choice. The Barnes doesn't have any flies on it either. If you want to try some custom stuff, we can help you out. We have the same bullets available in our own house loads. We can also send out test packs so you don't need to buy full boxes just to see if your rifle likes them. We have oodles of other choices as well.

Paul
616 299 1349
Www.northamericanammunition.com
Site sponsor

+1 for Berger 215s though I did get to the party late with them. They perform extremely in 300 PRC and 300 WM.

My 300WM Tikka would shoot most factory ammo well:
Barnes VOR-TX 165 TTSX 3 in .56"@100 meters (5 in .87") @ 3,098 fps
Hornady Pecision Hunter 200 ELDX 3 in .87"@100 meters @ 2,849 fps
Winchester 180 Power Point 3 in .87"@100 meters (didn't chrono)

I have had even better results with the 165 TTSX by handloading as in 3 in one hole and 100 fps faster with 1 grain less than Barnes website shows as max. A friend uses the 165 TTSX on elk and it has performed quite well.

There's bound to be a load your Browning likes I would think.

My 300WM Tikka would shoot most factory ammo well:
Barnes VOR-TX 165 TTSX 3 in .56"@100 meters (5 in .87") @ 3,098 fps
Hornady Pecision Hunter 200 ELDX 3 in .87"@100 meters @ 2,849 fps
Winchester 180 Power Point 3 in .87"@100 meters (didn't chrono)

I have had even better results with the 165 TTSX by handloading as in 3 in one hole and 100 fps faster with 1 grain less than Barnes website shows as max. A friend uses the 165 TTSX on elk and it has performed quite well.

There's bound to be a load your Browning likes I would think.

And…..with these velocities, you will be well above the needed velocity needed for full/total expansion.

You can also expect near 100% retained bullet weight even at near point blank range…..which is pretty darn important for complete penetration on a "steep angled" raking shot! Penetrating a few feet of elk, taking out a lung, then breaking the shoulder upon exit cannot be over emphasized! memtb

Both of those will serve you well…if it's more accurate I'd say scirocco.