Which Bullet for .300 WM

Whichever shot best and you can get the most of in the same lot preferrebly.

Curious if that is the order you shot them in?

Somtimes, the Barnes and other solid coppers do not shoot well after other copper has gone through it before.
What Shane said is very important as not all copper is equal.
My first encounter with Barnes was bad due to not cleaning the existing copper out of the barrel from my Hornady bullets.
Dissimilar copper is counter productive to accuracy in some bullets.
Just a thought

Recently had Long Rifle Inc. rebarrel my Sako 85 300 WM with a new 26" K&P barrel (they did an awesome job).

Have only had it to the range a few times to test a few loads and have been able to get .5" groups with various bullets (168 TTSX, 180 TTSX, 166 HH, 215 Bergers). I'm in California, so load a lot of the copper bullets for hunting here.

Stopped by my local gun store and saw that they had the new Barnes Vortex 300 WM ammo in 165 TTSX. This is the newer, darker colored box and they are using Norma stamped brass. I rarely buy factory ammo, but thought I would see how the new barrel K&P barrel liked the factory stuff.

The new factory 165 TTSX shot a .47" group (4 shots) at 3199, 3197, 3207 and 3204 FPS (LabRadar) in a thin. hunting contour barrel and I didn't wait between shots.

I can match that accuracy with my handloads, but was really impressed by the factory loading and drove back to the store on the way home from the range and bought 5 more boxes all of the same lot number. Figure I will always be ready for a deer, pig, elk, etc. hunt with this rifle and factory load.

Anyway, a long story to say that you may also want to try a box of the new Barnes Vortex 165 TTSX if you can find them (and assuming the Vortex 165 TTSX ammo you used was the older stuff). Save the Norma brass in case you decide to reload in the future. Good luck!

Went to the range today to test out some ammo on my Browning X Bolt Western Hunter LR today. The 5 that I tried were:

Remington Corelokt Ballisting Tip 180 Grain- Shot Good
Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds 180 Grain- Shot Ok
Federal Barnes TSX 180 Grain- Close second
Federal Scirocco II 180 Grain- Best of the 5
Barnes Vor-TX TTSX 180 Grain- Worst of the 5

The two that shot the best were the Federal Barnes TSX and the Scirocco II's. Which of those would you choose for hunting elk? Most likely less than a 500 yard shot. Should I check out Federal Terminal Ascents or another bullet or stick with the TSX or Scirocco II's?

Barnes tsx. Shot a bull moose at around 200 with a 300wsm 180 sciroccos. Did the job, but I feel the tsx does way way more internal damage to the vitals.

Recently had Long Rifle Inc. rebarrel my Sako 85 300 WM with a new 26" K&P barrel (they did an awesome job).

Have only had it to the range a few times to test a few loads and have been able to get .5" groups with various bullets (168 TTSX, 180 TTSX, 166 HH, 215 Bergers). I'm in California, so load a lot of the copper bullets for hunting here.

Stopped by my local gun store and saw that they had the new Barnes Vortex 300 WM ammo in 165 TTSX. This is the newer, darker colored box and they are using Norma stamped brass. I rarely buy factory ammo, but thought I would see how the new barrel K&P barrel liked the factory stuff.

The new factory 165 TTSX shot a .47" group (4 shots) at 3199, 3197, 3207 and 3204 FPS (LabRadar) in a thin. hunting contour barrel and I didn't wait between shots.

I can match that accuracy with my handloads, but was really impressed by the factory loading and drove back to the store on the way home from the range and bought 5 more boxes all of the same lot number. Figure I will always be ready for a deer, pig, elk, etc. hunt with this rifle and factory load.

Anyway, a long story to say that you may also want to try a box of the new Barnes Vortex 165 TTSX if you can find them (and assuming the Vortex 165 TTSX ammo you used was the older stuff). Save the Norma brass in case you decide to reload in the future. Good luck!

Nope the TTSX was the new darker box, only difference was it was 180 grain. Not the 165's.

IMG_3907.jpeg

Went to the range this morning and brought the Terminal Ascents after several recommendations. First the three that are touching are prior to making any adjustments to the scope. The other three are after adjusting each one individually.

This is at 100 yards, going to a 200 yard range on Saturday to do a true 200 yard zero.

Have to say the terminal ascents are the clear winner here. However, the scirocco's and TSX would work as well.