Bullet jump 300 WM

cbk57

Just got a Christensen 300 WM and looking for ideas where some have had success with bullet seating, have 60 rounds factory ammo I will use to season barrel then I will start to tune rifle.
The first 2 I have to try are 200-ELD-X and Barnes 180 TSX.
I am going to stay in the 180-200 wt range if others have worked I would appreciate hearing.

Just got a Christensen 300 WM and looking for ideas where some have had success with bullet seating, have 60 rounds factory ammo I will use to season barrel then I will start to tune rifle.
The first 2 I have to try are 200-ELD-X and Barnes 180 TSX.
I am going to stay in the 180-200 wt range if others have worked I would appreciate hearing.
I like mine around .015-.020" off the lands to start with.

I start with factory OAL and measure distance to the lands. After getting a powder / bullet combo that is grouping good I start to play with seating depth. Last weekend I finally shot a .49" three shot group with Reloder 26 and 200 grain ELD-X. That load is .010" off the lands. I loaded five more at the same depth (to make sure it is repeatable) and five .010" shorter. It will be another week before I can get back to the range due to family commitments. Good luck and have fun shooting.

I believe Christensen has long mag box. As Feenix, stated, start out close to the lands if you can.

I have one that shoots several bullets very well at the SAAMI 3.34" The 300 winny was designed to have a lot of jump so don't be afraid to jump them a ways either.

If I was starting with this rifle, I would measure the CBTO and distance to lands with the factory and take note of it. As you are breaking in your rifle, it may tell you what it likes and give you a start point for the pills you have.
If not, I would start them below:
Barnes- .050" start.
ELDX- as close to or in lands to start.

Don't be afraid to jump your bullets a little.My 300 Win Mags are all factory throated close to 3.550 max.Somewhere around + or - 3.500 seems to be my norm

Every rifle (barrel) is different, every chamber is different even from the same manufacturer.

Take time to thoroughly clean your new rifle first.

20 years ago, Connie Brooks told me to start Barnes bullets (solids) 0.050" off the lands. She was right then and right now.

Accurately measure your chamber to lands with each bullet you intend to test.

If you want some guidance before testing, call the bullet manufacturer. They can often be very helpful with their suggestions.

Make sure your seating die is repeatable. Some are not... Keep your die clean.

Use a reliable rest. The hood of your truck is not!;):D

Accuracy and precision are in the details. Pay attention to the variables and keep good notes.

Enjoy the process!

:)

In my experience I've come to "let 'em jump" first and only screw around with approaching the lands if they don't shoot well after that. Provided your ammo is concentric and your chamber isn't too sloppy a little freebore or jump is just fine with me, gives you some wiggle room both for further experimenting and for pressure spikes should something unexpected happen

In my experience I've come to "let 'em jump" first and only screw around with approaching the lands if they don't shoot well after that. Provided your ammo is concentric and your chamber isn't too sloppy a little freebore or jump is just fine with me, gives you some wiggle room both for further experimenting and for pressure spikes should something unexpected happen
Yes like some dirt in the action out in the woods......little jump is better.

Every rifle (barrel) is different, every chamber is different even from the same manufacturer.

Take time to thoroughly clean your new rifle first.

20 years ago, Connie Brooks told me to start Barnes bullets (solids) 0.050" off the lands. She was right then and right now.

Accurately measure your chamber to lands with each bullet you intend to test.

If you want some guidance before testing, call the bullet manufacturer. They can often be very helpful with their suggestions.

Make sure your seating die is repeatable. Some are not... Keep your die clean.

Use a reliable rest. The hood of your truck is not!;):D

Accuracy and precision are in the details. Pay attention to the variables and keep good notes.

Enjoy the process!

:)
A lot of knowledge in this post. Read and heed.

Have shot both in my WM. I generally shoot some test loads with them and if grouping at or around an inch start adjusting seating depth in 0.025" increments starting at 0.010" off the lands and then backing away. 0.035", 0.060", 0.085" off the lands. See which the rifle likes. My experience is that this typically gives the fastest accuracy tuning. I have had barnes shoot amazing 0.010" off lands in my 270 and much farther away in other rifles.