Which Bullet for .300 WM

215 Berger for sure but its not on your list. Id definitely try some 200 gr Terminal Ascent if you can get your hands on them

It's always amazing to me how folks immediately (as in the first post after the op) need to suggest something outside of the scope of the original question.

The Nosler partition is a great bullet. Don't think anyone doubts that. He wasn't asking about it (or hammers, or terminal ascents, or berger 215s…🤣). Moreover it's not the only bullet or the greatest bullet or the last word on how good a hunting bullet can be in a specific cartridge for a specific task. I'd argue that while it's not worse than any other bullet necessarily, the Nosler partition doesn't do anything better than the OP's swift scirocco factory load is going to do.

Honestly tho any of the 5 loads listed will and have taken elk no problem though I'd shy away from shoulders and quartering shots with the corlokt or the ballistic tip (though let it be plainly understood that the 180 grain 30 cal b tip is an entirely different animal than the lighter offerings…the jacket in the shank area is way thicker, i think they had elk hunting with .30 caliber magnums in mind with this one as it penetrates waaaaaaaaaaay more than the 168 b tip, way more than a mere 12 grains of bullet weight would account for. It's stout.

But still, they're more accurate in your rifle as it is, shoot the federal loaded Barnes or swift and don't lose one minute of sleep wondering if you chose wrong, because you didn't and of those two choices for elk hunting inside 500 yards with a .300 win mag, you can't choose wrong between those. Win-Win (with a Win Mag 😁)

It's always amazing to me how folks immediately (as in the first post after the op) need to suggest something outside of the scope of the original question.

The Nosler partition is a great bullet. Don't think anyone doubts that. He wasn't asking about it (or hammers, or terminal ascents, or berger 215s…🤣). Moreover it's not the only bullet or the greatest bullet or the last word on how good a hunting bullet can be in a specific cartridge for a specific task. I'd argue that while it's not worse than any other bullet necessarily, the Nosler partition doesn't do anything better than the OP's swift scirocco factory load is going to do.

Honestly tho any of the 5 loads listed will and have taken elk no problem though I'd shy away from shoulders and quartering shots with the corlokt or the ballistic tip (though let it be plainly understood that the 180 grain 30 cal b tip is an entirely different animal than the lighter offerings…the jacket in the shank area is way thicker, i think they had elk hunting with .30 caliber magnums in mind with this one as it penetrates waaaaaaaaaaay more than the 168 b tip, way more than a mere 12 grains of bullet weight would account for. It's stout.

But still, they're more accurate in your rifle as it is, shoot the federal loaded Barnes or swift and don't lose one minute of sleep wondering if you chose wrong, because you didn't and of those two choices for elk hunting inside 500 yards with a .300 win mag, you can't choose wrong between those. Win-Win (with a Win Mag 😁)
Only reason I shot the corelokt was to break-in the barrel per browning specs. They really weren't one I was interested in for elk. Now my 7mm-08 for deer, I'll shoot those all day long.

After reading about Nosler Partitions and Accubond's, I wasn't able to find the partitions in a factory offering since I don't hand load, so I bought the accubond's to test out. However, was disappointed in their grouping. Same with the TTSX, it by far was the worst. The TSX and Scirocco II's grouped the best for me that day. However, I am going to go to the range again this weekend to test them out again before doing my final zero. Right now, the Scirocco's seem to be leading the way.

Only reason I shot the corelokt was to break-in the barrel per browning specs. They really weren't one I was interested in for elk. Now my 7mm-08 for deer, I'll shoot those all day long.

After reading about Nosler Partitions and Accubond's, I wasn't able to find the partitions in a factory offering since I don't hand load, so I bought the accubond's to test out. However, was disappointed in their grouping. Same with the TTSX, it by far was the worst. The TSX and Scirocco II's grouped the best for me that day. However, I am going to go to the range again this weekend to test them out again before doing my final zero. Right now, the Scirocco's seem to be leading the way.
Nice.

I shoot a 300 win myself and haven't tried any of those in that chambering. Last time I got drawn for elk I struck out.

People have bad experiences every now and then with any bullet. That being said I'm glad to hear your shying away from the corlokt as my uncle had one COMPLETELY disintegrate on a whitetail shoulder that resulted in a long tracking job with a 180 grain OUT OF A .308. WINCHESTER….no doubt a double lung hit would be different but still, at that low of velocity with a 180 that just shouldn't happen, ever.

For starters he does mention the TA so not sure what you're talking about there, must have missed that when you read the post. Maybe just maybe he hadn't considered the 215 Beger which in my opinion is a much better bullet than all the ones listed and maybe now he will try it and like it, nothing wrong with options. If the op is bothered by the suggestion he can probably speak for himself without you doing it for him

For starters he does mention the TA so not sure what you're talking about there, must have missed that when you read the post. Maybe just maybe he hadn't considered the 215 Beger which in my opinion is a much better bullet than all the ones listed and maybe now he will try it and like it, nothing wrong with options. If the op is bothered by the suggestion he can probably speak for himself without you doing it for him
Okay fair enough. Not trying to start something or speak for anyone. Maybe I need more coffee…. Also, I stand corrected! Yes if the terminal ascents are available and you're curious to try them by all means do!!!! Them and the older federal trophy bonded tip are about as close to a perfect all game all distance hunting bullet as it gets. I did indeed miss that in the original post 🥴

All I wished to assert was that there was absolutely nothing wrong or less than best about the 180 tsx or scirocco at 500 yards and in that he's already verified shoot well out of his rifle. If he's found a real winner I think it's be better to not spend extra money trying more loads. Of course if one has the time and money (time being in tighter supply for many I know) to experiment further all the power to them!

As for the berger 215…he's mentioned that he doesn't handload…I'm not being rhetorical or facetious here, I'm asking a legit question…is there a factory loading with those bullets? Moreover, do you actually think that a match bullet like this (I know they're marketed as hunting bullets, they're a thin jacketed cup and core vld so that's just semantics as far as I'm concerned) would be better than any of the ones he lists to shoulder shoot an elk or take a quartering shot on the bull of a lifetime inside 50 yards? Because that's a real possibility too. I'd take the Barnes or scirocco, and I have no beef with "match" bullets…one of my favourite handloads is with the 225 eld m in my own 300 Winnie. But I'd be nervous to hit the shoulder on a big elk at close range with it. Again, not being rhetorical, I'm legit curious what your experience has been as I know the vld types can be great but was raised on the conventional wisdom of not using them for big game at close range…it's hard to unlearn some things 😁

My apologies if I've come across as contentious or preachy, this was not my intent :).

Not bothered by suggestions, I may pick up a box of T.A.'s this weekend and give them a try still. However, some of the suggestions that are made aren't available or out of stock from the factory. I wish I had the time, space and money to invest in learning how to hand load. I'd probably enjoy it as I like to tinker with different arrow weights, vane configurations, FOC, etc. on my archery gear.

Not bothered by suggestions, I may pick up a box of T.A.'s this weekend and give them a try still. However, some of the suggestions that are made aren't available or out of stock from the factory. I wish I had the time, space and money to invest in learning how to hand load. I'd probably enjoy it as I like to tinker with different arrow weights, vane configurations, FOC, etc. on my archery gear.

Oh you would like it for sure. But I imagine you would end up spending way more money than you would just buying these boxes of ammo and trying them and being done with it haha. Reloading is an illness lol.

Oh you would like it for sure. But I imagine you would end up spending way more money than you would just buying these boxes of ammo and trying them and being done with it haha. Reloading is an illness lol.
I feel like there was a thread about this recently. Titled "I may have a problem" 🤣. Some wise soul noted that admitting to the illness on this forum was like going to the bar in search of help for alcoholism

JME with Barnes bullets in 7mm-08, 30-06, 300 WM and 375 H&H, but my rifles always shoot them better (more accurately) after they are fouled a few shots with cheap cup and core ammo. Seems like copper fouling is copper fouling whether monolithic, or cup and core, but my experience hasn't shown they foul the same. So, I would suggest you shoot cup and cores first, then the Barnes. May not hurt to try that and see if your rifle performs similarly.
Just a thought. Best of luck finding what factory ammo works best!

I tried the Trophy Bonded Tipped when they first came out. Shot OK. Next hunting season I opened the box, which had been sitting in my safe, all the tips would fall out as you pointed them down.
Woah!! That shouldn't happen!

Just to be clear…this is the federal trophy bonded tip with the yellow-orange transparent tip and not the terminal ascent with the blue tip right?

I have a vested interest in this…got 50 rounds of oh so pretty nickel plated tbt rounds loaded up for 300 win mag sitting in storage

Recent Posts