300 RUM, 30 Nosler, 300 Norma... Which one?

NRA LR range rules in New Zealand were changed to conform with ICFRA (UK based) rules.
That was a real nuisance as I much preferred to shoot with a suppressor in F/TR (recoil wimp).
Muzzle brakes had been, and still are prohibited for range use.
Brakes are used on 'Mighty Cannons' by the high tops hunters in the South Island and part of the North Island, for lightweight rigs in the magnum calibres - 7RM,300WM, 338LM, and similar.
Some of the larger non-magnum calibres also use brakes too, for this purpose.
For hunting and 3 gun - suppressors are cool, but not on IPSC style comps - vents are OK on Open pistols/revolvers though.

I am fond of the 300 RUM and all things based on the 404 Jeffery. I have not yet built anything based on the 505 Gibbs (338 LM, 300 NM), this will change someday.

I built a 308/26-Nosler long before Nosler announced the 30 with it's shortened case.

I love my little Weatherby Mark V in 306/26-Nosler. It has almost everything you want from the 300 RUM. Accuracy included. I have not played with it for quite a while. I should get back to it.

So in your opinion is the 300 RUM more accurate than the 300 Norma? I am concerned about brass for the 300 RUM

I guess I'll weigh in and give my opinion also.

There are no cartridges that are most accurate. It is the combination of
good Gunsmithing, a premium barrel and perfect ammo to feed it.

I have a 30/378 that Is unbelievably accurate (.092 thousandths 5 shot groups Consistently) and it is loaded with standard mag length ammo utilizing the massive free bore of the big Weatherbys.

With that said, My preference is still the 300 RUM for the case design, case volume and performance with a broad range of bullet weights and Powder's. The case is my favorite case for wildcatting and I can find no fault with it.

Brass will be somewhat difficult to find for all of the aforementioned cartridges, so that should not be the deciding factor. There will always be a "Faster cartridge" or one that's holds more powder but the 300 rum seems to be the right amount and most efficient.

I have wildcatted the RUM case to hold 114 grains of usable case capacity and the 378 Weatherby case to hold up to 144 grains maxing both cases out and still prefer the versatility of the 300 RUM for the non wildcatter. As stated in another post, It can be loaded down to 30/06 velocities for fun shooting and long barrel life, Or can be turned into an accurate beast.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

No need to be concerned about brass for the RUM, there's a new manufacturer;
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/new-mfg-of-300-rum-338-rum-338-edge-etc-brass.194425/

The barrel life of a WM will far outlast a RUM. I would follow this up with a "all things being equal" but they are not equal. The RUM pushes harder and the cost is barrel life. You can extend it by letting the barrel cool between shots and using cooler loads but in general that is what the WM does compared to the RUM. If you want to push cool loads down a RUM then get a WM and you will have abundant, quality, cheap brass for life.
RUM's are NOT known for barrel life, that is why I don't drop the cash for a carbon barrel for mine. I have 3 and love them !
There's a lot of logic here. I love my Rum's but I do not use them for high volume shooting at all, just for hunting. I seriously doubt I will outlive any of my current Rum Barrels.

As for the .300wm, performance wise there's really no gain over it by the RUM until you get beyond 600 yards and not really enough to notice until you get beyond 800.

None of us will live long enough to ever see a shortage of .300wm brass or ammo as it's probably the 2nd most popular .30 cal in the country or possibly third beyond the 06 and will probably eventually overtake it.

well folks... i couldnt resist as the 300's are the cartridges that i love and shoot the most having about 15 of them (could be more lol).

First the 300 Win Mag can and will do it all!!!!! Its funny how this cartridge has been proven by numerous snipers, long range target shooters, hunters and yet it somehow never gets the credit it deserves and people almost consistently dismiss it. For all its supposed detriments of the belt and a short neck, etc. it seems to always shine on the range and has won numerous long distance shooting competitions and also held long distance shooting records for YEARS not days or months.

I taught an old gf and a friends daughter (the ex was 5'6" and 125 lbs and friends daugter is 5'8" and about 130) how to shhot and both can shoot 1/2-3/4" groups out of my 300 win mags. The friends daughter now uses a 300 as her moose and elk gun. So I hate it when people talk about the excessive recoil and other BS when compared to the 7 mm rem mags etc. Learn starting with smaller cartridges and work your way up, practice and anyone can do it.

the 300 weatherby and 300 RUM are absolutely awesome cartridges and so is the 30-378 Weatherby.

300 WM has the cheapest brass and lots of guns available that you can start with and then true the receiver, barrel, put a new barrel on after, etc.

300 weatherby brass is relatively cheap (not as cheap as the win mag but definitely cheaper than the RUM - at least in canada). I have never found the long action to make a difference in the field, but carrying a 26" or 27" tube and a long action in thick bush for moose/elk can be a pain.

the 300 RUM and Weatherby are so close in terms of performance and no the weatherby cannot be loaded to the same level as the RUM... But no animal will ever know the difference.

The 30-378 is again simply awesome in brute hitting force (on the target) but mine is a pretty heavy outfit. Ironically, because of the slow burning powders and weight of mine, i find it has les perceived recoil than my RUM and you do not need a muzzle brake on any of them.

They are all ACCURATE!!

so in the end... look at what you are going to use it for and set yourself up accordingly. I practice a fair amount of long range shooting (would love to get out more) but my ultimate goal is meat in the freezer. So the last animal my 30-378 shot was a moose at 35 yards. The RUM went one day in the field thinking that in the evening i would be covering a big open field at sunset. We pushed a bush and the next thing I know I have a 6x6 bull elk in front of me. I waited until it was at 250 yards as we were trying to get a friends teenage son to shoot it. At 250 yards, I said enough waiting and one pull of the trigger did the job. Sometimes the gun you think you have 15 minutes to set up with and practice before taking a shot with turns into a holy crap moment lol.

I havent played with the Nosler cartridges yet, but I am currently re-chambering a Sako Finnlight from 7 Rem Mag to 28 Nosler but the gun will be for an elk hunt where I could have one 30 yards to 1000 yards in front of me. My personal feelings are that the 30 Nosler could... in theory be one of the best all around, but in Canada 25 empty brass cost as much as a box of fully loaded ammo, and no... it will not do anything better than the above. I will still wind up owning one anyways...

Good luck in the decision!!!

Love my 300 Rum! It's easy to load for and shoots those 230 Bergers in a single hole.View attachment 84015
I jave both a .300 Weatherby and .300 rum,my weatherby was very finicky to load ,but once i found a load using 165 gr and 180 gr Accubonds and a coffe cup full of imr ssc 7828 i was getting 1/2groups at 100yards the faster i pushed the bullets the more accurate it wouls shoot.But.....my 300 rum shoots 1 ragged hole with almost everything i feed it factory barnes ttsx180s groups line the picture posted above and hand loads everything feom 165,168,172,and 180 gr with again cups full of retumbo all incredible groups.

So I decided on the 300 RUM and wanted to show the group the final pictures of the build. The specs are below:

300 RUM
Rem 700 Action
Mcmillan A5 BDL
Timney 510
McGowan Remage Barrel 29" 9 twist
Holland Recoil Lug
Ziess 6-20x50
TPS rings
20 MOA Holland rail
TBAC Ultra 9

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6615.JPG

Thanks,

DoubleG

Nice rifle! Its nice to see someone do a follow up. Most people ask for advice and we never see the final product. Thanks for showing off the new rig.

View attachment 99051 I have a 300 Norma I'm starting to like finally found a load of 80 grains of Norma MRP and pushing a 225 eld-m a little over 3000fps (adv 3007fps) out od a 25 inch tube. Mine is a worked over accumark, but if I was starting from scratch--I'd build the 30 nosler, I see a lot of guys pushing the 210 bergers out at 3100, and they will fit into most actions no problemo... 300 rum is great but it really shines with a 28+++ inch tube--limits it's usefulness in my opinion...

I've only shot it once and put less than than 20 rounds down the tube. The dirtier it gets the better it shoots. Here are two groups. The first is at 100 yards (3 shots) when I sighted in and the other is at 425 yards for group (3 shots marked with X). I'm satisfied so far but hope to tighten up the groups. I was shooting Nosler factory ammo. The 210 accubonds shot the best.

IMG_6607.JPG

IMG_6621.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.