300 RUM or 300 Norma Mag

I agree with that. I would much rather use my own rifle. Interestingly Tino at Trophy Game Safaris said that clients have changed over the recent years and now about half of the hunters that come elect to use the rifles provided rather than travel with their own. He said 10 years ago they almost never provided a rifle for a client.

Steve
I was told essentially the same thing by a half dozen or more PH's and Outfitters, especially in the the countries outside of the RSA just due to all the hassles involved with traveling internationally with firearms and ammo.

Twenty years ago it was common for hunters to bring rifles and large supplies of ammo to leave behind as "thank you's" or to pay for part of the hunt which is why all of the restrictions have become so ridiculous.

We here tend to be a very different lot, our rifles are as much a part of us and the total experience as the hunt itself.

That's exactly why I wrote the above in the second quote. If I've done this once, I've done it a hundred times, and always getting confirmation of the arrival of the package. I've done this for hunts and competitions, never failing to have the right ammunition at the right time. Planning far enough ahead to allow for errors and making sure that you're covered is a positive step toward a successful hunt or competition.

Regards.
What countries. Outside of South Africa how are you getting the ammo through without the paperwork on the rifles? I normally carry enough that it's not a problem but curious about shipping. Not sure how you are going to buy ammo in the middle of nowhere Zambia anyway but would like to know on the shipping.

I've heard the argument of getting ammo..most of the time if your rifle doesn't make it--neither does your ammo...in 8 international hunts it has happened to me once--and it was 1 day late....and I'll never go thru Hethrow again. I can give a lot of advice in traveling with firearms and what airways tend to take somewhat care of you.

I think these are a toss up. I chose the 300 Norma. I had a Weatherby action already opened up so it was easy--but probably on ease of build I'd say RUM, I'd say performance it's a toss up.

Ed

I've heard the argument of getting ammo..most of the time if your rifle doesn't make it--neither does your ammo...in 8 international hunts it has happened to me once--and it was 1 day late....and I'll never go thru Hethrow again. I can give a lot of advice in traveling with firearms and what airways tend to take somewhat care of you.

I think these are a toss up. I chose the 300 Norma. I had a Weatherby action already opened up so it was easy--but probably on ease of build I'd say RUM, I'd say performance it's a toss up.

Ed
They have changed the rules on international flights such that the rifles and ammo have to be packaged separately which makes that an even greater possibility.

My brother took one of my .375's to Idaho for a bear hunt last year and the baggage monkeys managed to destroy a pelican case, bust the scope, and lose the ammo that was packed in side.

There's also the problem of the customs cops, particularly the SAP's trying to hold you up for bribes to get them to release you ammo.

I shoot a 300 NM with a 28" barrel with an 11 twist. I shoot 210 bergers with 89.0 gr. of N570 using Lapua brass. Average velocity is 3167 fps, and 3 will touch at 127 yards. Tough to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts