.30 nosler vs .300 RUM

EOS? End of Show? I had to look it up.

I have a 300 RUM. In another year or so my brass will need to be replaced. At that time I too may switch to another cartridge.

This may sound crazy, there is always Hornady 375 Ruger brass at my local Sportsman's warehouse and on line. 30 Nosler isn't common yet and even 300 win mag brass is getting hard to find.

Necking the 375 Ruger to cartridge to 30 cal may be a bit of a chore but if brass availability is an issue what else can you do hope your favorite brass eventually shows up?

I am currently making 7mm/375 brass and use a Whidden custom bushing/FL die for some of the forming. I use a 338 RCM die earlier in the necking down process . It would be easy to use that setup for 30 cal. Just need a reamer.

As for a competition seating die, I can re cut the shape of the sliding piece in a Redding comp seater die using the new reamer, just as I did for the 7/375.

The 300 win mag case capacity according to this source, Case Capacities , is 89 gr while the 375 Ruger is 100. So the 30-375 Ruger would pretty much duplicate the 300 Weatherby, 99 gr, AND fit into a standard length magazine.

I recently went through a couple months of researching this same thing. I decided to order a 300 WM barrel with a longer match chambering. I just couldn't get over the idea that I will have this sweet rifle and might run into issues finding brass to be able to shoot it. The reloading dies seemed more reasonable to find and at a better price also.

I also liked the amount of load data for the 300 WM compared to the others.

The match chamber will let me seat the bullet further out and add a tad more case capacity. Using the AI mag length I should still be able to magazine load using the heavier bullets and still get close enough to the lands to find good accuracy.

At least all of that should work in theory. If my barrel and bottom metal ever get to me I'll let you know.

It's hard not to be drawn into the newer sexy super powerful cartridges. However trying my hardest to be pragmatic in my thinking, the 300 WM will fit my needs perfectly. And I do believe I'll be happier living with it on a day to day basis.

I guess I am just weird, but the 300 WBY has worked for me and is my favorite 30. From shooting steel and plinking at ELR to 1000 yard BR to LR (or any distance) hunting, the 300 WBY just works.

Easy to tune.

Good brass THAT IS AVAILABLE!!

Factory ammo if in a pinch.

Been around and proven for years.

Nearly the same performance of the 300 RUM.

No FFing.

What's not to like?

Tod.

I guess I am just weird, but the 300 WBY has worked for me and is my favorite 30.

No FFing.

A good cartridge as well, If I understand correctly the 30 Nosler will have comparable case capacity.

You guys and your abbreviations. Deciphering no FFing took me a bit, No FFing what?

A good cartridge as well, If I understand correctly the 30 Nosler will have comparable case capacity.

You guys and your abbreviations. Deciphering no FFing took me a bit, No FFing what?

Sorry...my bad.

No fire forming of brass. That was in reference to the 300 AI and other improved 30's based on the 375 H&H case.

I have a 300 WM Stiller Predator action 26 Krieger shooting 210 and 215 Bergers 1/9 twist Smithed by MarKing in central Pa. Cartridge is great, accuracy is one hole with a variety of powders. Long throated chamber seating bullets out to maximum OAL but keeping neck bearing adequate. You CANNOT go wrong with this cartridge. It is a true long range combination of accuracy, power , ease of reloading, shooting, and component availability . I have several other large magnum rigs( 30/378 300 Weth 7/300Weth) but out to around 1000 yards this is my favorite rig!!!!

I have a 300 WM Stiller Predator action 26 Krieger shooting 210 and 215 Bergers 1/9 twist Smithed by MarKing in central Pa. Cartridge is great, accuracy is one hole with a variety of powders. Long throated chamber seating bullets out to maximum OAL but keeping neck bearing adequate. You CANNOT go wrong with this cartridge. It is a true long range combination of accuracy, power , ease of reloading, shooting, and component availability . I have several other large magnum rigs( 30/378 300 Weth 7/300Weth) but out to around 1000 yards this is my favorite rig!!!!

Good to hear the 1/9 twist is working for you. I think this is good advise.

I plan on going to a 30 cal 1/9 twist, no matter what I end up with after my RUM is through. My 300 RUM shoots the 210 VLD much better than the 215 Berger and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the 1/10 twist it uses.

I did end up choosing to go with a .300 win. 27" lilja 3 groove 1-10twist. Using 69grs R22 and Hornady 212 ELD-x. I'm getting 2860fps and shooting a five shot group that is less than .4 inches at 100yds. So far Im really happy with my choice after watching several people with the bigger .30's try and find brass or even a good load to shoot. I probably can push them a little harder as i have no pressure signs, but idk if i will, because the rifle shoots lighs out for me. Thanks guys for all your input.

I did end up choosing to go with a .300 win. 27" lilja 3 groove 1-10twist. Using 69grs R22 and Hornady 212 ELD-x. I'm getting 2860fps and shooting a five shot group that is less than .4 inches at 100yds. So far Im really happy with my choice after watching several people with the bigger .30's try and find brass or even a good load to shoot. I probably can push them a little harder as i have no pressure signs, but idk if i will, because the rifle shoots lighs out for me. Thanks guys for all your input.
Congrats.

With the results you're getting I wouldn't even attempt to tweak it any. An MV of 2850 or better is all you need and if you are getting zero pressure signs with your current load it will probably last you pretty well forever.

I know it's an old thread, but how's it been shooting?