300 RUM vs 300 WM

Emine

Im sure this has been beat to death. I have searched and read quite a bit. But also wanted some opinions.

I am wanting to get a new rifle for hunting. I want it to handle all western game. Elk, Pronghorn you name it.

I think I have it narrowed down to 300 RUM or 300 WM. Which would you pick?

My shots are going to be from 100-500 typically with my longest shot probably 700-800 yards.

I am thinking of getting Remington 700. Maybe sendero. Wanting to put a brake on it and put a different trigger in it. This is going to be soley for hunting. Not target shooting.

300 RUM or 300 WM?

Thanks

Im sure this has been beat to death. I have searched and read quite a bit. But also wanted some opinions.

I am wanting to get a new rifle for hunting. I want it to handle all western game. Elk, Pronghorn you name it.

I think I have it narrowed down to 300 RUM or 300 WM. Which would you pick?

My shots are going to be from 100-500 typically with my longest shot probably 700-800 yards.

I am thinking of getting Remington 700. Maybe sendero. Wanting to put a brake on it and put a different trigger in it. This is going to be soley for hunting. Not target shooting.

300 RUM or 300 WM?

Thanks

If 800 is your longest shot, save the barrel life by getting the .300 WinMag. The RUM's are not known for good barrel life. The .300 WinMag will more than handle your needs.

As a matter of fact, the 7mm RemMag will handle any of that as well, with slightly more speed, and similar recoil.

while I agree with mudrunner I am a fan of RUMs. You makes You choice and you pays you money.

If 800 is your longest shot, save the barrel life by getting the .300 WinMag. The RUM's are not known for good barrel life. The .300 WinMag will more than handle your needs.

As a matter of fact, the 7mm RemMag will handle any of that as well, with slightly more speed, and similar recoil.

Mud, you mind explaining to me me how the 7mm rem will have more speed that a 300 win when the 300 has a little more case capacity? I must have missed that day in class.:D

I have a 300 RUM and a 300 WSM. My go to rifle is starting to be the 300 WSM. RUM brass is expensive and hard to find. It uses more powder, has shorter barrel life, and really needs a 28" barrel to get the most out of it. The 300 WSM can do anything I need it to.

The 300 WM would be a lot more practical for you.

Another vote for winmag, and I have and shoot both the winmag and ultras, the winmag will more than fill your needs.

For range use primarily less than 1K the WM is an option worth serious consideration. I'm a fan of the RUM specifically for range use near and exceeding 1K. The WM will meet your proposed needs. Your choice.

Mud, you mind explaining to me me how the 7mm rem will have more speed that a 300 win when the 300 has a little more case capacity? I must have missed that day in class.:D

Jeff, while not always the case, every rifle is different. The .300 WM's I've messed with and loaded for, were reaching pressure signs just slightly slower than my 7mm RemMags, when using moderate-for-caliber bullets in both (168 for 7mm, and 208 for 300).

I gues since all rifles are different, it was an unfair comment of me to make. It was just based upon my experiences.

Ok thanks for the input guys. I should have also added that I currently have a Rem 700 7 mm mag. Just basic gun.

From the responses so far Sounds like the Win mag is the way to go. I have a few friends who have the RUM and they absolutely love it. But sounds like the win mag can do great things out to 1000 yards.

Ok thanks for the input guys. I should have also added that I currently have a Rem 700 7 mm mag. Just basic gun.

From the responses so far Sounds like the Win mag is the way to go. I have a few friends who have the RUM and they absolutely love it. But sounds like the win mag can do great things out to 1000 yards.

The .300 WinMag will reach on out to 1200+ with the right rifle, handloads, scope, conditions, and practice.

Don't discredit the 7mm RemMag. There's guys shooting it to and beyond 1K. One of our members killed a monster moose at 9xx yards with a 7mm RemMag. So, don't underestimate that caliber. It only holds 7.1 gr less case capacity than the .300 WinMag (according to Chuck Hawks). So, they're very similar. But the .300 will have heavier projectiles and a little more powder that will let you reach on out a little farther.

Rifle Cartridge Case Capacities

You could always just rebarrel your 7mm RemMag with a heavy 1:9 twist barrel and have it chambered to 7mm STW, and push the 180gr Bergers 3,000+ fps, and really be able to reach on out there, with a pretty flat trajectory.

I've had a 7mm STW almost as long as I've had a 7mm RemMag, and I've been shooting the STW for 12+ years. And in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either caliber. Or any 7mm for that matter. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts