300 RUM vs 300 WM

another vote for the 300 win mag. I have one and love it. I'm pushing the Berger 210 accurately in the mid 2800 range out of a 26" barrel without any pressure signs.
Where I elk hunt at 8500' this setup holds 1850+ fps and 1600+ ft*lbs to 1000 yards. In my humble opinion that will get the job done.

Another vote for the 300wm. For that matter the 300wsm would do everything you want to do.

They will both do anything the 300 Rum will do with all but the heaviest bullets and just do it a couple of hundred feet per second slower with the same bullet.

They will both save you considerably over the rum.

When it comes to either factory ammo or reloading the 300wm is always going to be around and so will ammo and components since it's probably tied with the 7mm Rem as the all time favorite magnum cartridge.

You can also pick up factory ammo for the 300wm just about anywhere you are hunting around the globe should you find yourself separated from your own ammo.

I have both custom built 7mm and 300 rum. Absolutely love the RUM. The 7mm typically will have a higher B.C. and I believe in a factory gun you will be able to space out your bullets far enough to clear the magazine if running vld's. I am sure the 300 would be a fine choice as well and not sure on bullet spacing clearing magazine on the 300? gun)

I'd go with either one; they are both great calibers and either will fill the bill. You can manipulate and play numbers games all you want but the simple fact is they are rather close performance wise but the rum has more case capacity. Given equal barrel lengths you can push 10% more bullet to the same speed with the rum over the win.

Ok thanks for the input guys. I should have also added that I currently have a Rem 700 7 mm mag. Just basic gun.

From the responses so far Sounds like the Win mag is the way to go. I have a few friends who have the RUM and they absolutely love it. But sounds like the win mag can do great things out to 1000 yards.

Both the 7MM Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag is capable to 1000 yards with the right load combination and depends on what game you're after (sufficient energy at POI for humane harvest).

Having said that, you might want to consider the .338 RUM then for future beyond 1000-yard range when you are ready.

Good luck!

Ok thanks for the input guys. I should have also added that I currently have a Rem 700 7 mm mag. Just basic gun.

From the responses so far Sounds like the Win mag is the way to go. I have a few friends who have the RUM and they absolutely love it. But sounds like the win mag can do great things out to 1000 yards.

If you already have a 7mm mag, I would say you already have enough gun to satisfy the needs you described. With that being said, if you still want to get another gun, I would probably suggest a RUM just to get a bigger gap in between rifles. If you end up with a 300 win mag to go along side the 7mm mag, they are so similar that I don't know how you would ever choose which one to use. Just throwing the idea out there. Either that or as Feenix said, go with a .338. Just something to provide a bigger gap.

Yea I'm kind of thinking of selling the 7 mm or letting my brother have it. It was my dads gun.

So I was thinking now maybe the win mag and maybe a 338 RUM in the future if I needed long range.

As far as the win mag goes. What do you guys think?

I was thinking maybe a remington sendero with a trigger added and a muzzle brake. Or maybe the new remington 700 "long range" model.

Any input?

What about building off of your current 7mm if you are thinking of getting rid of it? Use the action and go from there. You could probably build a pretty solid custom for what you would have into a sendero and then you get to keep using your dad's old rifle...

Yea I'm kind of thinking of selling the 7 mm or letting my brother have it. It was my dads gun.

So I was thinking now maybe the win mag and maybe a 338 RUM in the future if I needed long range.

I was thinking maybe a remington sendero with a trigger added and a muzzle brake. Or maybe the new remington 700 "long range" model.

Any input?

for a hunting rifle, one of the things I like about the 300 win mag is that I don't *need* a muzzle brake. Especially in a heavier weight rifle like a sendero. That's my own preference and it could go either way depending on the shooter. RUM (again personal preference) needs a brake. That was a big factor in deciding win mag over RUM.

Funny you mention a 300 win mag and 338 RUM. I've got the 300 win mag for a dedicated LR deer/antelope/sheep rifle, and currently having a 338 RUM built as my dedicated LR elk rifle. Although, I don't *need* the 338 RUM based on my own style of hunting, I just love shooting .338 pills at elk :D

Any input?
Well, my opinion is, if it was your dad's gun, then you'll kick your own *** later for selling it. And #2, if you want a .300 WinMag go buy one and keep the 7mm RemMag as a family keepsake to pass down one day.

But as far as comparing your currently owned 7mm RemMag to a .300 WinMag, I don't see it being worth the headache switching to the .300, when there are 180gr high BC bullets available for the 7mm RemMag that can make it a very comparable and formidable opponent at the ranges your specified.

I'd put your dad's gun in the safe, and buy one of these to compete against your buddies with.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Long Range - Remington Centerfire Rifles Chambered in 7mm RemMag (84163), or .300 Win Mag (84164).

Well, my opinion is, if it was your dad's gun, then you'll kick your own *** later for selling it. And #2, if you want a .300 WinMag go buy one and keep the 7mm RemMag as a family keepsake to pass down one day.

But as far as comparing your currently owned 7mm RemMag to a .300 WinMag, I don't see it being worth the headache switching to the .300, when there are 180gr high BC bullets available for the 7mm RemMag that can make it a very comparable and formidable opponent at the ranges your specified.

I'd put your dad's gun in the safe, and buy one of these to compete against your buddies with.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Long Range - Remington Centerfire Rifles Chambered in 7mm RemMag (84163), or .300 Win Mag (84164).

Yea I think your right. I would regret selling it.

Does anyone have experience with the new 700 long range model?

Broz just bought one and should be doing some research on it I think, keep an eye out for that. On a side note, how does that 7 mag shoot? Maybe you are overthinking things and you could simply tune the 7 mag up to be a shooter and you would be all set.

I started with a factory Sendero. It shot well for two years before deciding to go semi-custom. Cost was about an additional $1K for a trued action, match trigger, and match barrel with brake. The result was worth the $s showing improved precision. The semi-custom Sendero so far has performed to the expectation of intended use, that being harvesting animals ELR if permitted.

I don't believe one can go wrong purchasing either the Sendero or Long Range. Hopefully a factory gun will perform to expectations but as stated not always and a good plan to semi-custom if needed is well advised.

I have brother guns, one in 7mm one in 300wm. My vote is the 300wm. In my .300 wm I can shoot a heavier bullet, at almost the same velocity as my 7mm, and without a brake.

My dad has a 300RUM and I cannot shoot it accurately without a brake.

Don't sell your 7mm. I always bring both guns to hunting camp. Without fail, every year, someone does something to their gun, or a part breaks, or a horse rolls on it and they need a second gun immediately ready. My 7mm has been turned into my back up gun. Partly because it's almost 20 years old, but mostly because I picked up the .300wm and instead of being matte black, it's stainless.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.