300 RUM vs 300 WM

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. I had a 7MM Mashburn and was going to get a 7mm RUM Sendero. I couldn't find one at a decent price so I was trying to decide between the two .30 calibers. I ended up going with the .300 RUM and so far I'm glad I did. I added a Jewell trigger and MK4 base and rings along with a MK4 4.5-14 LRT scope. My first 3 shot group at 100 yards with shots 4,5 & 6 from the new barrel with the first hand load tried measured .433 C/C. The reason I went with the Ultra over the Winchester was for the extra room in the magazine box. I agonized for several days but in the end the Ultra won out because I already had the Mashburn in the rack.

Bob

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. I had a 7MM Mashburn and was going to get a 7mm RUM Sendero. I couldn't find one at a decent price so I was trying to decide between the two .30 calibers. I ended up going with the .300 RUM and so far I'm glad I did. I added a Jewell trigger and MK4 base and rings along with a MK4 4.5-14 LRT scope. My first 3 shot group at 100 yards with shots 4,5 & 6 from the new barrel with the first hand load tried measured .433 C/C. The reason I went with the Ultra over the Winchester was for the extra room in the magazine box. I agonized for several days but in the end the Ultra won out because I already had the Mashburn in the rack.

Bob

Interesting about the mag. box, every long action M700 I have seen had the 375 length action, no block.

Interesting about the mag. box, every long action M700 I have seen had the 375 length action, no block.

I thought the Ultra mag boxes were longer, never thought to measure, now I gotta take a gun apart. I do know the feed rails are different, the ones on my 7MM actually work, the Sendero is going to need a massage to get it to feed from the right side.

Bob

I thought the Ultra mag boxes were longer, never thought to measure, now I gotta take a gun apart. I do know the feed rails are different, the ones on my 7MM actually work, the Sendero is going to need a massage to get it to feed from the right side.

Bob

Yes the feed rails are different for the wider round.

I have brother guns, one in 7mm one in 300wm. My vote is the 300wm. In my .300 wm I can shoot a heavier bullet, at almost the same velocity as my 7mm, and without a brake.

My dad has a 300RUM and I cannot shoot it accurately without a brake.

Don't sell your 7mm. I always bring both guns to hunting camp. Without fail, every year, someone does something to their gun, or a part breaks, or a horse rolls on it and they need a second gun immediately ready. My 7mm has been turned into my back up gun. Partly because it's almost 20 years old, but mostly because I picked up the .300wm and instead of being matte black, it's stainless.
Ditto, never leave home without a backup.

Ditto on the 300wm as well. You can go bigger, badder, faster, stronger, but there's nothing on this continent you can't take with it out to 1000yds if you can put it in the right spot.

Ok guys. So a member on here messaged me and offered to sell a used but "mint" condition Sendero 300 WM. Less than 60 shots through the barrel. Said it is shooting good at .5 MOA. Decent price.

So I am thinking I will go with that. I'll add a trigger to it (probably a jewel) and a muzzle brake and I will have a pretty good shooting rig I hope.

I know a muzzle brake is not needed for my use. But I want to be able to have the ability of other people using it whether is friends I take hunting or my 13 y/o son.

What muzzle brake do you guys recommend?

I am having a muscle brake installed on my 338RUM. Have not shot a rifle with one installed but lots of guys here really like them.

A sendero with only 60 shots and verified 1/2 moa sounds pretty sweet.

Ok guys. So a member on here messaged me and offered to sell a used but "mint" condition Sendero 300 WM. Less than 60 shots through the barrel. Said it is shooting good at .5 MOA. Decent price.

So I am thinking I will go with that. I'll add a trigger to it (probably a jewel) and a muzzle brake and I will have a pretty good shooting rig I hope.

I know a muzzle brake is not needed for my use. But I want to be able to have the ability of other people using it whether is friends I take hunting or my 13 y/o son.

What muzzle brake do you guys recommend?
That's a short ride to a nice shooting rifle you'll be happy with for many years to come.

Look at the Snowy Mountain Rifles Muzzle Brake. It is without a doubt the most effective brake I have ever used. It makes my 7mm STW kick about like a .243 even with 175-180gr projectiles.

Ditto on the 300wm as well. You can go bigger, badder, faster, stronger, but there's nothing on this continent you can't take with it out to 1000yds if you can put it in the right spot.

This statement pretty much sums it up.

I am shooting a 7RM Sendero. I really like it. I have thought about going bigger. I got a buddy that wants to sell me a 300 RUM. Brass is more, takes more powder, more recoil. But some 230gr bullets would be fun for blowing stuff up!!! lol

For two years I deliberated putting a brake on. I finally took the plunge. All I can say is wow. I had Chad Dixon put one of his on and it's awesome. I have heard the horror stories of the noise, and these aren't bad. He explained his design a little and it really isn't that loud. I haven't had to guts to leave my ear plugs out and see if it is good ear plugs or quiet brake, but it isn't not bad at all.

For help on your sendero decision, in this state of load developement with 180 hybrids, I am at or just a hair over 1/2 MOA at 100yds. Next is to stretch it out to 3-400 and see how it does out there. I put a jewell trigger on it, and bedded the recoil lug. Then I decided to go ahead and have a KMW cheekpiece installed on it, and then a tactical bolt handle because I was in one of those moods one day. I have it topped with a 6.5-20 VX-3 and a target dot. I am really pleased with it as a hunting rig. Pretty excited to see how the 180's do this fall as I have shot 162 and 168's to this point.

The Sendero in my opinion is a great gun for the long range "hunter." Custom stuff is super nice, don't get me wrong, and I hope to have one someday. But the Sendero will do everything you will need it to do, whether it be 7RM, 300WM, or 300RUM. All great guns. I am not an expert by any means, kinda a beginner to some extent, always learning. You will kill anything inside 1000yds with any of them as long as you do your part, thats the most important component!

Thanks. Sounds like I did ok on going with the sendero and in the 300 mag caliber. Thanks to you guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.