300 RUM vs 300 WM

300WM all day long. Unless you intentionally pass on an elk that's less than 1000yds away on a routine basis. The 300WM whether you use 168gr, 180, 190, 200, 208 or 210gr bullets will get the job done with less recoil with a standard 26" barrel. In 56 years of hunting big game the 30-06 was the primary caliber I've used. In Vietnam the M14/7.62/308 was my go to piece for 3 tours of combat. In the DMZ area I would have preferred MORE ARCLIGHT STRIKES.
After returning from Vietnam I bought a 308 on a Remington action to complement my Model 70 in 30-06. But then I started hunting in Utah and Colorado. Some how the 06 became #1. because of the slight reach it had. But as the game got bigger and further out I decided to go with the 300WM. That said I haven't looked back.
Animals tend to appear when you least expect them too. If it's a keeper, you'll want to be able to make that shot no matter if it's 15 feet or 1000 yards.
I'm 68 years OLD now and still shoot my 300WM when it comes to encounter near and far. It always gets the job done.
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Thanks. Sounds like I did ok on going with the sendero and in the 300 mag caliber. Thanks to you guys.
I'm in a similar position as Emime was and am slowly settling on the 300WM. Question for me now is Sendero or Long Range. I'm leaning towards the Long Range as the Sendero is about $500 more. Short term, I will leave it stock. Long term (one or two years before I get everything done), I will go semi-custom (rebarrel, true action, timney or jewell trigger, Manners stock (mini chassis w/ DBM), etc.). Does the Sendero shoot that much better out of the box where it is worth the extra $$$ ?

Remington, Winchester or Savage are all good actions. I prefer the Remington Sendero which comes with the H&S Precision stock and a heavy barrel.

I had the action, bolt and lugs trued. Cut the barrel back and re-chambered it for 190gr Matchkings 50ths of the riflings/lands. Cut a new recessed muzzle crown at 11 degree's. Added a heavy recoil lug.

Had the stock/aluminum bedding block milled and than glass/pillar bedded the barreled action to the stock.

It's a proven shooter and well worth the mod's I made.

300 Win Mag 25" factory barrel
200gr Barnes LRXBT
68.5grs RL19
Fed GM215M primer
3.624 COAL
2809 fps

Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x56 NPR2 MOA Reticle
Zero 300yds
Come Ups to 1200yds

Cow Elk at 450yds uphill at a 27.5 degree angle.
450 x .89 = 400.5 yds
Dialed Up 400yds
POA/POI
Pocket behind the bicep/shoulder blade
1rd POA/POI cow was at a fast walk. At impact elk stopped as if it hit a block wall. Still standing.
Re-Load 2nd round dialed down 1 MOA. POI 4" lower. Elk tipped over 180 degrees. DRT

Attachments

• Gordon Creek Elk Hunt 2014 057.jpg
    Gordon Creek Elk Hunt 2014 057.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Gordon Creek Elk Hunt 2014 082.jpg
    Gordon Creek Elk Hunt 2014 082.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 106
I'll second a few things that have been said: 300 WM would be my choice, and the bit about shooting without a brake. I shoot this caliber in a couple of rifles and it's manageable with no brake, although it's much more comfortable with one installed. Some guys like to hunt without a brake to protect their ears so that's an option with 300 WM. The Ultra is a nice step up in velocity but since brass is so hard to find, and the additional recoil, I think you made the right choice.

I like the Muscle Brakes. I have a Snowy Mtn and it's very effective, just a little long and bulky compared to the Muscle Brake. Since the 300 WM isn't terrible even without a brake you don't need to be too picky about getting max recoil reduction. I'd go side-discharge instead of radial if you plan to shoot prone.

I've looked at a bunch of 300 mags lately, including all the Remington offerings. There's not much info about the 700 LR, but based on the price I'm guessing it has a regular production grade barrel that's just a heavy contour. The Sendero and 5R Milspec cost a good bit more, probably because they use better barrels and/or chambering and gunsmithing. This is only a guess, but the Sendero and 5R have plenty of reviews that indicate .5 MOA is to be expected with hand loads. I've been working with a friend who just picked up a 5R with the 24" threaded barrel. After bedding, a Timney, and minimal load development it has already printed .5" groups.

Congrats on your new gun, let us know how it shoots!

Don't part with a rifle passed down.

Get both the wm and rum by going with the rum. Load up or down heavy or light there is more room for what you want by going with the rum and if you are putting on a brake then that makes it even more reasonable for the rum.

Agree with everyone on the 300RUM and 300WM.
The key to the 300RUM is it's competitive with the 338 Lapua to a point.
However, those heavy for caliber loads include significant recoil needing heavy duty recoil pads, long heavy barrels and it's wise to use a muzzlebreak.
Cost to reload requires lots of powder and heavy for caliber bullets.

That stated: Whatever floats your boat and your wallet.

"Lessons Learned" from Afganistan by SOCOM teams clearly shows the need for portability in the sniper weapons system. You can only carry so much weight to the fight. With combat loads around 75-100lbs basic to each Team Member that **** REALLY SLOWS your tired ***.

Blackhills Ammo has worked with the SEAL Teams in developing a 220gr Matchking round for the 300WM that is 150-200fps slower velocity and 100-200 ft lbs of energy less. BONUS the "Snake Eaters" can carry allot more whip *** in their Kits.

What's not to like. Less recoil, much more useful in hunting of various size game and hunting environments. For shooting it's about practice, practice, and more practice. Shooting fundamentals take tremendous time to develop into muscle memory.
Good Luck to all of you.
SEMPER FIDELIS
Gonzo

I got a rem. 700 LR and talked with 4 others all getting better than .5 MOA at 200 yards got mine for $700 6 months ago . 300 ultra mag. .,

I have all my rifles done at Corlane Sporting Goods in Dawson Creek BC; where they build RMR custom rifles. I sold my first .300 RUM built on a Win Model 70 and had them put together a .300 WSM on a Browning X-Bolt. The .300 WSM would not shoot as accurately as my .300 RUM did; no matter what load I built for it. The .300 RUM loved 200g Accubonds. I tried every thing from 150g bullets to 180g bullets in that WSM and couldn't find a load that would compare to the accuracy of the .300 RUM. Both rifles had muzzle brakes. The .300 WSM has since been replaced by another .300 RUM built on a Rem 700 XCRII. I'd take a .300 Win over a .300 WSM; but am a RUM fan after seeing them perform in the field and on the range for many years. Unless a guy spends ALOT of time on the range I don't see bbl life as a problem either. I put many rounds down range every year and never had any accuracy issues with my first RUM. This new RUM seems to love 180g Accubonds; every rifle has it's own personal prefences just like every hunter.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.