300 wm vs 300 rum vs 338 wm

The rifle weighs barely 12#'s totally dressed with NXS, bi-pod, and sling. You can check it out at Lane Precision Rifles. It is the Long range Hunter. Wedgy I am sure your girlfriend would love to shoot this rifle. Dallas, the builder and owner, certainly got everything right with this rifle! Oh, there is no doubt in my mind it has less felt recoil than your .308. ShadS, I had the same reservations you do. Go for 300 RUM you will love it!

Thanks for all that info guys! How heavy is your 300 rum geo? I am going to be shooting this gun prone and sitting all the time so i don't want the recoil to be that bad it will make me flinch and be innacurate... Definitely putting a brake on whichever rifle I get. My only concern with the 300rum is that recoil? My rifle should be around 11 pounds, being reasonably heavy and with a good brake it should be less than a .308?

If you're going with a brake, why not step up to a 338 RUM? I've got a brake on mine and it feels like I'm shooting a 308 win. Much less recoil than my non-braked 300 win mag.

OK thanks a lot man!! I think I will, probably going to get a remington 700 long range 300 rum, with an Allen precision painkiller brake. I like the chunky brakes... Do you know what brake your using?

Brass for 338 rum $4 per brass compared to $2.25 for 300 rum. Bit too expensive for me I think, but a 338 has a lot of power and Im sure recoil would make me not as accurate with a gun that big. In future I can neck up to 338 edge if I feel the need too.

OK thanks a lot man!! I think I will, probably going to get a remington 700 long range 300 rum, with an Allen precision painkiller brake. I like the chunky brakes... Do you know what brake your using?

If you want a badass shooter, look into the Remington 700 in 7mm RemMag. And if the 7RM isn't quite enough, you can pull the barrel, true the action, and open the chamber up to 7mm STW.

That should make for a nice shooter. Plus, for minimal cost, you will have an already worked-over action for when you rebarrel. That will save cost on the 2nd go around when you put a new barrel on it.

Or you could get one in .300 WM and open it up to .300 Ackley if the .300WM doesn't have enough oomph for you.

I have a 4-port Muscle Brake. It's pretty big for the #4 contour barrel on my rifle. For reference, my rifle weighs about 10 pounds including the optics. And it feels like the rifle has zero barrel jump when I shoot it, I'm sure the barrel is lifting a little, but nothing compared to any non-braked rifle. I have heard that the painkiller brakes are awesome, I'm sure they would make a 300 RUM shoot like a dream.

Brass for 338 rum $4 per brass compared to $2.25 for 300 rum. Bit too expensive for me I think, but a 338 has a lot of power and Im sure recoil would make me not as accurate with a gun that big. In future I can neck up to 338 edge if I feel the need too.

HUH? Even the most expensive 338 RUM brass is only like $2.50!

ShadS, I know you still remain skeptical because of the bad rap all .300's have. Go to JE Custom's web sight and check out their video. The assassin brake tames the recoil on the .300 RUM to less than a .243. Jerry is one nice gentleman. His brake really works and if you have questions he is extremely knowledgeable and always willing to help.

Another cool thing about the 300 RUM is that you can buy factory ammo in three different power levels. I bought some Level 1 for foolin' around under 200 yards, sighting in, and the main reason to get brass. It also has a great price and is fairly easy to find.

I have to admit I have no experience with water buffalo. If they are as you describe then a 300wm with good 200-220 gr bullet should work I would think, but I'd still like to have a 375 :)
As a good friend of mine from S. Africa once said, "You can never go too big with Buffalo".gun)

Hi guys I still cant decide which to get!! So many people say the 300 win mag is the way to go but I cant deny the fact i want something as awesome as the 300 rum. Upsides of the 300 win mag is better barrel life, less recoil, less cost reloading and its more efficient. But I cant hide the fact I want something as big as a 300 rum. Its sort of my practical part of my brain saying 300 win mag and the fun, **** YES side of my brain is saying 300 rum. Its tearing me apart!

Thanks for all that info guys! How heavy is your 300 rum geo? I am going to be shooting this gun prone and sitting all the time so i don't want the recoil to be that bad it will make me flinch and be innacurate... Definitely putting a brake on whichever rifle I get. My only concern with the 300rum is that recoil? My rifle should be around 11 pounds, being reasonably heavy and with a good brake it should be less than a .308?
My Sendero's scope and all weigh in around 12-14lbs. Add a good brake and recoil simply isn't a problem.

I have seven of these on different rifles from 7mmSTW up to 375 Ruger and love them. You can't beat the price either. I have the slotted version.

Muzzle Brake Rifle of Pistol Muzzle Break | eBay

Hi guys I still cant decide which to get!! So many people say the 300 win mag is the way to go but I cant deny the fact i want something as awesome as the 300 rum. Upsides of the 300 win mag is better barrel life, less recoil, less cost reloading and its more efficient. But I cant hide the fact I want something as big as a 300 rum. Its sort of my practical part of my brain saying 300 win mag and the fun, **** YES side of my brain is saying 300 rum. Its tearing me apart!
With the right muzzle brake there's not enough difference in recoil to matter between the wm and Rum especially if you go with a heavier platform like the Sendero.

Even my rather light weight Win M70 Classic Stainless 300 Rum is a puppy to shoot with the NWP muzzle brake I recommended above.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.