300 Win Mag vs 300 RUM vs 338 Lapua vs 338 RUM

The edge is a joke! My 338RUM out performs every edge and standard Lapua it's been against ballistically if that's even a word lol! You can't hardly beat the straight 338RUM in the 338 class unless you go to a Cheytac sized case!

I've proven it time and time again! Show me an edge that is running the 285's out of a 31" barrel at 3100fps???

And have brass life! The Lapua can't do it!!!
Not gonna say you aren't getting those velocities. What I will say is that those are pretty high velocities from that case, even with your longer barrel. Either your rifle is exceptional or your pressures are up there. If your rifle is an anomaly, then you comparing it to other .338 RUMs (or Edge/Lapuas) is like saying that all humans are fast because of Usain Bolt. Now take that anomaly of a .338 RUM and punch that chamber out to the Edge or Lapua and you would have the magical unicorn of cartridges.
What COAL you running?

The biggest advantage I see to the edge is that you can stick with a 700 or M70 action. The Lapua case is just too large and while it can be done on the 700 and 700 clones the action really isn't strong enough for it because of the additional material that has to be removed due to the case diameter.

As much as I like the .375 Ruger if I wanted a .338 I think I'd just do a .338-.375 Ruger.
Yes Sir, that's why I built the Edge on the 700 to begin with. Cost was (and still is) a factor to me, and that was the easiest/cheapest way to get the performance I was after. If I were to build on a custom (or Savage designed for it, Weatherby, etc) today I would go Lapua, probably improve it as well.

I just ask if you can get 3100fps with a 285gr bullet out of the edge? That 12 extra grains capacity gets you no where if you can't use it!

Not gonna say you aren't getting those velocities. What I will say is that those are pretty high velocities from that case, even with your longer barrel. Either your rifle is exceptional or your pressures are up there. If your rifle is an anomaly, then you comparing it to other .338 RUMs (or Edge/Lapuas) is like saying that all humans are fast because of Usain Bolt. Now take that anomaly of a .338 RUM and punch that chamber out to the Edge or Lapua and you would have the magical unicorn of cartridges.
What COAL you running?
My Coal is 3.915 and I am on the upper end of pressure but my cases are still holding primers after 8 firings

There is a guy that has a .338 imp and claims 2975 with 300 bergers out of a 26" tube.

And he claims no pressure signs yet. Now add 5" and he could be 3100 plus...

I just ask if you can get 3100fps with a 285gr bullet out of the edge? That 12 extra grains capacity gets you no where if you can't use it!

My Coal is 3.915 and I am on the upper end of pressure but my cases are still holding primers after 8 firings

The 12 grains may be water but the actual difference in powder charges between the two is much-much less, single digit. It is probably a small enough difference that a fast barrel (like yours) in .338 RUM can out run a slow Edge. I have found that to me the RUM is sufficient. I want a rifle I can carry and still stretch way on out (plus find factory ammo for and load to the factory mag). I don't want a 28-30" + barrel, so an Edge will not get a real improvement over the RUM. To me an Edge needs a long barrel and a long OAL to maximize its potential, and worth over the RUM. My opinion anyway.
I sure wish my RUM ran like yours!

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on a straight answer from you.

I asked you a question that requires a specific answer rather than a runaway keyboard.

You have 12 grains less capacity with the Rum so how are you exceeding the performance of the edge with the same bullets and the same length barrel?

The 12 grains may be water but the actual difference in powder charges between the two is much-much less, single digit. It is probably a small enough difference that a fast barrel (like yours) in .338 RUM can out run a slow Edge. I have found that to me the RUM is sufficient. I want a rifle I can carry and still stretch way on out (plus find factory ammo for and load to the factory mag). I don't want a 28-30" + barrel, so an Edge will not get a real improvement over the RUM. To me an Edge needs a long barrel and a long OAL to maximize its potential, and worth over the RUM. My opinion anyway.
I sure wish my RUM ran like yours!
We had a member here a while back running the same bullet in an edge with an inch shorter bbl running I think 2950fps with his.

I'm still waiting on a straight answer from you.
What do you want me say??? I can push the 285's out of a 31" barrel 3100fps without tearing up my brass! I don't know of anyone getting those speeds out of a Lapua or an edge. Case capacity can exceed useable capacity! I don't own an edge so I can't tell you why the extra 12 grains capacity doesn't benefit its performance! Guess if you want to know anything else maybe you'll ask a straight question to get a straight answer!!!

What do you want me say??? I can push the 285's out of a 31" barrel 3100fps without tearing up my brass! I don't know of anyone getting those speeds out of a Lapua or an edge. Case capacity can exceed useable capacity! I don't own an edge so I can't tell you why the extra 12 grains capacity doesn't benefit its performance! Guess if you want to know anything else maybe you'll ask a straight question to get a straight answer!!!
Still waiting for a straight answer.

How many 31" edges and Lapua's have you run side by side comparisons with using the same bullet at similar pressures?

What is the load you are running?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts