300 Win Mag vs 300 RUM vs 338 Lapua vs 338 RUM

Yeah it's been around pretty much since the .300 RUM was released, the .338-300 Ultra Mag. Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge (and this site) is the one who named it as we see it, he was a big front runner for it. He also puts his own special spin on it (and others) and calls it the "+P".
I had one for several years and have a buddy with one. Great long range chambering for the Remington 700 (and Savage, etc). When I had mine done I called it a poor man's Lapua. The gunsmith doing my build would not open the 700's bolt face to accommodate the .338 Lapua and recommended the Edge. Back then I could get once fired .300 RUM brass for $0.50 a pop. The company I got them from had barrels full, wish I'd have known what I know now and bought a barrel.:D I'm running a .338 RUM now, almost the same performance but can load as a repeater in the factory mag.

Last edited:
Never heard of factory ammo for it, but I bet you can get some custom made for you. Talk to Steve @ Hammer Bullets, goes by RockyMtnMT on this site.

The Edge, at least the ones I've been around, have comparable velocity to the .338 Lapua (that's why I called it the poor man's Lapua). 300 grain bullets @ 2800-2900'ish fps. It's a good step up in performance. Think of it as an improvement to the .338 RUM, just slightly longer parent case. I actually used .338 RUM dies to load mine.

90-100 grains of powder pushing a 300 grain bullet can generate some recoil. Weight helps but I think a good brake is key. Mine was 13.5 lbs and my daughter was shooting it when she was 12 and well under 100 pounds. My buddy's is a little heavier but has a radial brake (not very efficient), recoil is noticeably more.
My .338 RUM is several pounds lighter (only takes a few grains less powder) and the recoil is noticeably less than my buddy's Edge due to the MBM brake.

The 338RUM outshines all the ones you listed! Is that the best cartridge for the task at hand? Maybe not! You should really look at a fast 7mm 28nosler or 7WSM but if you want a heavy hitter that you can do ELR with later then I would run with the 338RUM and the 285gr ELD-m's

The edge is a joke! My 338RUM out performs every edge and standard Lapua it's been against ballistically if that's even a word lol! You can't hardly beat the straight 338RUM in the 338 class unless you go to a Cheytac sized case!

The Edge, at least the ones I've been around, have comparable velocity to the .338 Lapua (that's why I called it the poor man's Lapua). 300 grain bullets @ 2800-2900'ish fps. It's a good step up in performance. Think of it as an improvement to the .338 RUM, just slightly longer parent case. I actually used .338 RUM dies to load mine.
The biggest advantage I see to the edge is that you can stick with a 700 or M70 action. The Lapua case is just too large and while it can be done on the 700 and 700 clones the action really isn't strong enough for it because of the additional material that has to be removed due to the case diameter.

As much as I like the .375 Ruger if I wanted a .338 I think I'd just do a .338-.375 Ruger.

The edge is a joke! My 338RUM out performs every edge and standard Lapua it's been against ballistically if that's even a word lol! You can't hardly beat the straight 338RUM in the 338 class unless you go to a Cheytac sized case!
The edge has 12gr more capacity than the Rum so I'm not sure exactly how the above can be true.

How are you getting superior performance with less case capacity?

The edge has 12gr more capacity than the Rum so I'm not sure exactly how the above can be true.

How are you getting superior performance with less case capacity?
I've proven it time and time again! Show me an edge that is running the 285's out of a 31" barrel at 3100fps???

I've proven it time and time again! Show me an edge that is running the 285's out of a 31" barrel at 3100fps???
I asked you a question that requires a specific answer rather than a runaway keyboard.

You have 12 grains less capacity with the Rum so how are you exceeding the performance of the edge with the same bullets and the same length barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.