.30 nosler vs .300 RUM

mort9687

I'm looking to rebarrel a Browning ABolt II to either .300 RUM or 30 nosler. It originally started life as a .300 win mag. Any thoughts, Pros or Cons on one caliber?

Thanks

That's part of why I'm debating between the two. Although I am having a hard time finding 30 nosler as well.

Well, right now 300RUM brass has been hard to find if you're looking to reload.

Yep, something to consider if a ~200 FPS more velocity quest is worth the trouble.

The .300 Win Mag is very capable up elk size game at 1K yards with the right load.

IIWY, I'd re-barrel it with 26"+ and 1:9" twist for the heavies that require it.

I was trying to avoid the belted magnum cartridges. But could you do a .300 win mag AI? Would it gain enough to be worth it?

Don't shy away from the .300 wm..very few ever get to see a custom cut chamber in that cartridge, mainly factory junk cut chambers. A .002 per side neck clearance is vastly different animal than that .006-.009 per side factory rifle. Plus I can't imagine there ever being much of a brass issue compared to he other two you mentioned, which means you won't be begging for brass for 200 fps, a few clicks on the scope will deal with that and an animals chest cavity will hardly notice the difference. Gunsmiths might give you a funny look when you mention the win mag, heck they might not have a reamer-lol... But it will do amazing things compared to a factory rifle, find a great bullet and a little experimenting and you'll be happy, you barrel life should be fine also..can't beat .308 holes when hunting.

300 win mag and Berger 215's are a nice combo from what I've read. It might be a tad slower than the bigger magnums but you'll get long barrel life allowing you to practice a bit more. If I decide to re barrel my 7rem, 300 win is what I'll be going to.

Yep, something to consider if a ~200 FPS more velocity quest is worth the trouble.

The .300 Win Mag is very capable up elk size game at 1K yards with the right load.

IIWY, I'd re-barrel it with 26"+ and 1:9" twist for the heavies that require it.

I agree with what Feenix said. I have and love my 300rum, but I also have 3 300wm. From experience I can say the 300wm is vary capable of doing what the rum does from a practical sense.
Work up good load with a 300wm, practice with it and you'll be able to do a lot with it.

All the .300's have their merits, their shortcomings, their fans, and all are capable of good field work.

If going with the .300 AI, I would use the full length version.

Even the .300 H&H will launch 200 grain bullets to 2900 + fps.

In terms of practical the .300 Winchester still rules.

Hey Mort, I am a 300 win mag fan all the way. The other cartridges do have a bit more steam but I will stick with the win mag. I am not talking down any other cartridges but if you can't do it with the 300 win mag you probably can't do it anyway.
Thanks, Kirk

Disclosure: for Belted magnums I am a Weatherby man.

1) There is nothing wrong with the 300WM. Fine choice.
2) 300 Weatherby Improved aka 300 Ackley will equal within a bit the Nosler.
3) The 30 Nosler will do that. Brass will be available soon.
4) The 308/26 Nosler is not the same sa a 30 Nosler. Has a few grains more capacity.
5) The 300 RUM is big. EOS.

I have 300 Weatherby, 308/26 Nosler and 300 RUM.

If you want equal or faster than a 300WM but no belt go with one of the three I have.

If you want more than a 300WM and don't mind the belt, a 300 Ackley is a fine choice.