300 Norma or 30 Nosler???

It's been awhile, just kicking up a turd and seeing what everyone's thinking on this topic since there's been some time to see and the brass issue with the Nosler has been corrected with ADG brass.

If you wanna shoot 230-245, 300NMAI. Lapua brass and custom action
215's 30 Nosler or better yet 30-28 ADG brass

I would like some advise on the pros and cons of both the 300 Norma and the 30 Nosler.

I'm looking to build one of the two and am torn on which one. I want to shoot at minimum 210 Berger's but most likely the 215's or 230's. Any advise you guys have on both guns would be great!! In my research I think I'd rather run Norma brass over Nosler brass but I believe the 300 Norma burns more powder to achieve the same velocity. Any help would be appreciated!!
I have a 300 Norma. I have a 26" bbl. It is no slouch what soever with the 26" but I would recommend a 28" if you are chasing velocity. I have no quarrels with the 30 nosler or 300 prc. Those would be my choice for an ultra light rifle in 30 cal. People tout the latter two as being able to keep up with the 300 Norma but it's often not an apples to apples comparison. Long story short: you may be able to get to similar max nodes with all three of those in a 26" barrel but your brass life on average should be better & less pressure with the Norma at those same nodes. I believe when you get to a 28" barrel in the Norma is where it will start pulling ahead of the other two & get you to the next higher node where as the other two may be to near to max pressure to hit those nodes in the same 28" with all other things being equal. Just my thoughts.

Nothing is going to change, the 300 Norma and improved versions have been around a long time. They just became more popular when Lapua started making the brass. There are a lot less good action choices for the increase in bolt thrust the Norma case produces. For the vast majority the 30, 30-28, 300 prc, ext case will do more than you need with a 215. And you have a lot action choices. If your building from scratch then theres no reason not to go with a Norma or improved if you want a little more HP. I do have a preference to the Norma mainly due to Lapua making brass and it is tough. You will not be loosening primer pockets in this stuff and I tend to run things on the higher side of pressure. It does also give you the option for the 230/245 class of bullets which are better suited to that case size for efficiency. But you need to ask yourself if thats what you really want or need. When picking a cartridge, pick the bullet first, then how fast you want to drive it withwhat powder, then the smallest case to do that. Larger cases than you need do in fact reduce accuracy.

It's been awhile, just kicking up a turd and seeing what everyone's thinking on this topic since there's been some time to see and the brass issue with the Nosler has been corrected with ADG brass.
What adg brass issues are you referring to? The adg brass in my 30 nosler has been FAR superior to the nosler crap.

The 30-28 Nosler and standard 300 Norma are almost identical in capacity. The 30 Nosler is down 2-3 grains from the 30-28 Nosler. Personally I wouldn't do a straight 300 Norma. The improved limits case stretch and makes it where you barely have to trim brass and it increases the capacity 6-7grs which amount to 50-75fps on average. I'm with Alex, on a custom action it's not much different in cost for a Lapua bolt face and a standard magnum. The Lapua brass is super tough and would lean me that way if I was building a custom from scratch.

Another vote for the 300NM. I have a 300NM IMP that runs Berger 215's at 3160fps. Lapua brass has been great too.
Adg brass w/ N570 in 30 nosler will go 3100 w/o pressure. I own them both, 30N and 300NMI. 300 Rum w/ ADG brass on a cfe9 box with 3.9+" coal will outrun them both built properly, as there is no replacement for displacement. Staring from scratch for simplicity and honest budget sake, lapua bolt face kelbly atlas action with a 35° norma improved. The BIGGEST factor, get with a smith who has dies built for his reamer, dies that at 2-3 thousand under CIP spec at the web of the case. The problem with norma cases they develop clickers pushed hard after 4-5 firings because dies are too loose to properly size the entire case. Properly specd custom dies eliminate all of this. A base sizing die for lapua cases would be sweet too if a manufacturer is listening. Just my half of a cent input from my findings.

All depends what you're happy investing. I'm going with a proof research carbon barrel in my 30 Nosler build and I certainly wouldn't be comfortable investing that kind of $$ in a carbon wrapped barrel that could burn out faster. If you can afford it (or won't shoot too many rounds through it) 300 Norma looks like an awesome cartridge.

300 RUM on a BAT HR action single shot or wyatts CFE9 will do what ever you like with any brass you like with any bullet you like and do it yawning all the while others have to be improved or ran at 80k PSI ! just sayin😀😁
If guys could get past "needing a repeater" for long range there would be a lot more rums. Once you build a single shot, you realize how sweet they are.

Adg brass w/ N570 in 30 nosler will go 3100 w/o pressure. I own them both, 30N and 300NMI. 300 Rum w/ ADG brass on a cfe9 box with 3.9+" coal will outrun them both built properly, as there is no replacement for displacement. Staring from scratch for simplicity and honest budget sake, lapua bolt face kelbly atlas action with a 35° norma improved. The BIGGEST factor, get with a smith who has dies built for his reamer, dies that at 2-3 thousand under CIP spec at the web of the case. The problem with norma cases they develop clickers pushed hard after 4-5 firings because dies are too loose to properly size the entire case. Properly specd custom dies eliminate all of this. A base sizing die for lapua cases would be sweet too if a manufacturer is listening. Just my half of a cent input from my findings.
Clickers can happen with any case. The term clickers came from BR with the 6ppc case. So its not a Norma case problem. Designing a sizing die to work with the chamber is a given for any case, improved or not. You can not design a resize reamer the same for all cases, so if you spec your norma resizer like you would your 6br resizer, you WILL get clickers. Thats the designers fault. Once you figure out the spec's they are just like any other case design. If pressures do not reach a level to loosen primer pockets, a box of brass should wear out a couple barrels easily.

I agree with all that. I'd add that a 30 nosler will have much faster throat erosion than a 300NM imp.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.