28 Nosler vs 300 Norma for 1 mile

mfran615

I am contemplating building another rifle. My 7 saum is excellent out to 1,000 and still good to a mile, but I want something with more horsepower. I'm considering the 28 Nosler and 300 Norma. I had my shooting shoulder replaced 10 weeks ago, so recoil is something I have to be somewhat careful about now. I know both cartridges are very capable to a mile, so what would you recommend and why? Component availability not being one of the criteria.

I had my shooting shoulder replaced 10 weeks ago, so recoil is something I have to be somewhat careful about now.
but I want something with more horsepower. I'm considering the 28 Nosler and 300 Norma.

This should be your primary concern in my humble opinion. Yes the replacements can be a functional improvement but they are not like the original equipment. But, it's your body and you should enjoy hobby.

Before I offer my opinion I will tell you that one member in particular has the experience from competition:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/members/jeff-heeg-osoh.111250/

I enjoy shooting the longer ranges and I have both my shoulders intact so far. ;) Your choices, 28 Nosler and 300 Norma Mag, are fine with the .300 Norma Mag. being one of my favorites. I certainly would look at the recoil of both given bullets and powder necessary for the 1 mile targets. Remember that powder as a component of recoil calculations is often referred to as 'ejecta'.

I used the 26 Nosler (which no one discusses anymore) with the Warner 121 gr. Flatline, now 123 gr., through a 30" barrel. Good performance and a milder recoil than the heavier bullets. Then I switched to the .300 Norma Mag. using the Badlands 205 gr. SBD2. Lots of fun but more recoil. I can use the same cartridge/bullet combination for hunting and target shooting.

Currently, I'm shooting the 33XC in a much longer barrel with heavier, higher BC bullets. This might be a little on the high side for for what you're looking for. There are several threads available here to read.

Enjoy the process!

:)

You might consider a suppressor or properly designed brake to help mitigate the recoil.

:)

Last edited:
I use a 419 hellfire match on my 7saum and recoil is minimal. I would use a good brake on anything else as well. I may end up just shooting the saum this year to see how my new shoulder does. I can always start shouting lefty if I need to for bigger magnums. I'm intrigued by the 300 Norma but also like the 28 Nosler idea.