30 Nosler & 300 PRC vs 30-28 Nosler & 300 PRC SI Wildcats

So I have a custom 28 Nosler with a Proof Carbon barrel and match long throated chamber and love it. I shoot 175 gr Hornady ELD-X's using 87 grs of RL33 at 3152 fps giving low velocity Standard Deviations and sub 1/2" groups at 100. But the thought of possibly shooting the 37 gr heavier 212 gr Hornady ELD-X 30 caliber bullet, close to the same speed out of a 28 Nosler sized case, is kind of exciting.

My interest in that was rekindled when the 300 PRC was announced. My initial limited view is the 300 PRC (there isn't much data except for the factory loadings) will run this weight bullet at 30 Nosler speeds which is around 3000 fps. However I learned from this site of the existence of the 300 PRC Sherman Improved (SI) cartridge. I'm thinking that the 300 PRC SI and the 30-28 Nosler are candidates for running the 212 gr bullets at 3100+ without having to go to the massive 300 RUM. I just need to validate it through research or this forums help. Thoughts?

Peterson and ADG are going to have brass for the nosler. The PRC most likely will have brass from Peterson. Until it does the Nosler with premium brass is hard to beat IF your smith has a good reamer. The PRC is set up correctly from Hornady so an avg smith can cut it right with a sammi spec reamer.
Rich's version is like the rest of his wildcats. Well thought out to provide more pain per grain!

I think I'm discarding the 30 Nosler and the 300 PRC since I don't think they can reach 3125 to 3150 fps with the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X that I'm looking for out of a 28" barrel.

This leaves the 300 PRC SI and 30-28 Nosler wildcats as the two cartridges I'm looking at for this build.

I don't know the throat dimensions of the 300 PRC SI but since it's a wildcat I'm assuming it can be what ever the builder wants it to be. Let's assume it is the same as the SAAMI version of the 300 PRC which has a Neck diameter of 0.342, a Lead diameter of 0.3088 and a Freebore of 0.2328. My calculations put the COAL for the 300 PRC SI with the above throat dimensions and a 15 thousands jump to the lands at 3.6531" using the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X bullet.

We will used the same throat dimensions for the 30-28 Nosler wildcat which puts it's COAL at 3.6631" with the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X bullet.

Next I look at magazine box dimension compatibility and Case H2O capacity.

i just did some looking through some of the other threads and found where one of the members called Hornady and they said that with the 300 PRC the COAL with the 225 gr Hornady ELD-M is 3.685' and 212 ELD-X is 3.650 with a 20 thousands jump to the lands. So I wasn't off on my calculation for the 212s and the 300 PRC SAAMI chamber.

I've become fascinated with comparing the new 30 Caliber non-belted magnums, the 30 Nosler and 300 PRS and then their wildcats derived from them or their parent which in this case is narrowed to the 30-28 Nosler and the 300 PRC Sherman Improved. My intent is to research these four cartridges using the information published on this site to determine the advantages of each and see if their is a clear winner, when considering all of the various factors, including but not limited to, cost, performance and challenges with creating or acquiring the cases and reloading them. My intent is to limit it to these four cartridges with 30 caliber 212 to 215 gr long range hunting bullets.

Before I start my search for the information, what are your thoughts?
The Nosler variants require feed rails and limit magazine capacity slightly more than the Hornady Variants.

Accuracy wise there's nothing inherently more or less accurate about either of them in spite of the marketing hype.

Right now I own 3 each .300wm's and .300 Rum's and if I were starting out today my choice would be the .30 PRC purely due to the case design.

The .375 Ruger case is here to stay and sooner rather than later we'll probably have at least four high quality brass sources of .375 Ruger and variants thereof.

If you're only thinking in terms of the next five years it probably doesn't matter but in the long run I think the Hornady variants will be the winner with the public.

I think I'm discarding the 30 Nosler and the 300 PRC since I don't think they can reach 3125 to 3150 fps with the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X that I'm looking for out of a 28" barrel.

This leaves the 300 PRC SI and 30-28 Nosler wildcats as the two cartridges I'm looking at for this build.

I don't know the throat dimensions of the 300 PRC SI but since it's a wildcat I'm assuming it can be what ever the builder wants it to be. Let's assume it is the same as the SAAMI version of the 300 PRC which has a Neck diameter of 0.342, a Lead diameter of 0.3088 and a Freebore of 0.2328. My calculations put the COAL for the 300 PRC SI with the above throat dimensions and a 15 thousands jump to the lands at 3.6531" using the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X bullet.

We will used the same throat dimensions for the 30-28 Nosler wildcat which puts it's COAL at 3.6631" with the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X bullet.

Nothing you are shooting at will notice the difference in velocity.

The price you pay going from 2,850-3,000fps and 3,000-3,200 FPS with all else being equal is very high.

A great example is that many 7mm STW shooters will get well in excess of a thousand rounds accurate barrel life while it's very difficult to even get 600-700rds life out of a 7mm RUM.

You're talking about trying to equal or exceed .300 Rum Velocities and just due to the law of diminishing returns that's going to come at quite a cost in muzzle blast, recoil, and throat erosion no matter what case you choose so keep that in mind.

If you put a 300 prc saami reamer print next to a 30-28 Nosler theres not much difference. Actually the 30-28 is about .016 larger at the shoulder and 35 deg. Neck. An Ultra mag Rem action will be no problem feeding. There O.A.L are just thousands apart with the same freebore. Theres one big difference and that's "Brass" quality and availability now that ADG and Peterson are getting into the Nosler game.
Even Dave Tooley said hornady brass was o.k. my prediction is if you try to run the hornady brass in the 300 with the 30 Nosler or 30-28 using ADG or Peterson brass you will be chucking the hornady brass in the garbage after 3 firings.
No the animals wont know the difference but the wind and my drops will past 500.
I seriously doudt you will see any barrel life difference in the 300 or 30 nosler, 30-28. The one thing 300 PRC has going for it is the put the correct freebore in there saami drawing, so if your a factory ammo shooter theres the advantage over nosler.

Have you looked at the Lazzeroni Warbird? I am getting 3124 using the 212's with a OAL of 3.605" I am not even pushing it very hard either. The Warbird is an awesome round and impressive. You can buy factory ammo as well.

Then perks of the 300 PRC is the big push from Hornady and it's inherent design to be accurate. Plus you can buy factory ammo off the shelf for it. I would go 300 PRC if I had the choice. Since I have a Warbird that has some barrel life left, I am holding off on the 300 PRC.

I do love the 300 NM as well. It is an impressive round as well. I am not a Nosler fan, they had too much hype when they didn't invent anything new.

At 7.00 dollars a round for loaded ammo and 4.00 a case it's pretty spendy shooting. There ballistics are impressive though.

I've been wanting to do a 30 cal build for some time as my primary moose hunting rifle. But can't not for the life of me decide which caliber to shoot. Right now the prc has my attention but until more data and brass becomes available I'll probsbly hold off on the build all together. The nosler never really peaked my interest but with new companies starting to produce brass t might be worth another look. The standard 300. Win mag is no slouch either!

I've been wanting to do a 30 cal build for some time as my primary moose hunting rifle. But can't not for the life of me decide which caliber to shoot. Right now the prc has my attention but until more data and brass becomes available I'll probsbly hold off on the build all together. The nosler never really peaked my interest but with new companies starting to produce brass t might be worth another look. The standard 300. Win mag is no slouch either!
"The .300wm is Never the Wrong Answer".- Me.

"The .300wm is Never the Wrong Answer".- Me.

Bingo, I don't see any of these doing much if anything more than a 300wm. The 30-28 Nos is a wildcat that equals the capacity of the wm but needs a RUM action. The PRC or SI version will be fun if better brass ever comes along.

IMO-if you want to really step out ahead of the WM, you need to build a 300 RUM or move up to a 300 Lapua or Norma mag sized case.

I'm building a 300wm with the broz spec'd reamer allowing for 215 bergers to be seated long. Velocity wise, none of the above are going to leave the wm behind and they don't have a fraction of the load data or brass availability.

Some times tried and true while a tad boring for a custom is the way to go.

Bingo, I don't see any of these doing much if anything more than a 300wm. The 30-28 Nos is a wildcat that equals the capacity of the wm but needs a RUM action. The PRC or SI version will be fun if better brass ever comes along.

IMO-if you want to really step out ahead of the WM, you need to build a 300 RUM or move up to a 300 Lapua or Norma mag sized case.

I'm building a 300wm with the broz spec'd reamer allowing for 215 bergers to be seated long. Velocity wise, none of the above are going to leave the wm behind and they don't have a fraction of the load data or brass availability.

Some times tried and true while a tad boring for a custom is the way to go.

I will agree that the 300 Win Mag is hard to beat all things considered but lets get a couple of things straight. The 30 Nosler has 4% more case capacity than the most voluminous 300WM case. What does that mean. While a fast 300WM may run with a slow 30 Nosler the average barrel from each will be separated by 75-100fps. That comes at the cost of 5-8 grains of extra powder and the barrel wear that comes with that. The 30-28 Nosler adds another 4% capacity the only thing with it is it will not push a 215 Berger to the next higher node. What it does afford is the same speed with less pressure and most likely longer brass life but it still requires slightly more powder. As far as what the 300 PRC will actually do compared to the others is purely speculation. Rich's PRCSI will most likely set right with the 30 Nosler when compared side by side. It is appealing because the lack of rebated rim will most likely hold pressure better than the Nosler case. As far as the RUM is concerned I have steered clear because every one I see running 215 Bergers is the same velocity or slower than the 30 Nosler. I think the RUM needs 230s to really shine. I just do not need that large of a bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.