30 Nosler & 300 PRC vs 30-28 Nosler & 300 PRC SI Wildcats

I will agree that the 300 Win Mag is hard to beat all things considered but lets get a couple of things straight. The 30 Nosler has 4% more case capacity than the most voluminous 300WM case. What does that mean. While a fast 300WM may run with a slow 30 Nosler the average barrel from each will be separated by 75-100fps. That comes at the cost of 5-8 grains of extra powder and the barrel wear that comes with that. The 30-28 Nosler adds another 4% capacity the only thing with it is it will not push a 215 Berger to the next higher node. What it does afford is the same speed with less pressure and most likely longer brass life but it still requires slightly more powder. As far as what the 300 PRC will actually do compared to the others is purely speculation. Rich's PRCSI will most likely set right with the 30 Nosler when compared side by side. It is appealing because the lack of rebated rim will most likely hold pressure better than the Nosler case. As far as the RUM is concerned I have steered clear because every one I see running 215 Bergers is the same velocity or slower than the 30 Nosler. I think the RUM needs 230s to really shine. I just do not need that large of a bullet.

I don't have any first hand experience but here's what Wiki has for capacity.

300wm-93.8 grains of water.
30 nosler 89.8 grains of water.
28 nosler 93.8 grains of water.

This is why people are making the 30-28 nosler, to gain those 4 grains of powder.

Is the nosler getting real world speeds that much greater than the 300wm? I personally don't know but don't believe so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosler_proprietary_cartridges

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Winchester_Magnum

I have had three WMs(still have one). I have had 3 30 Noslers(still have 2). I have a PRC on the way. Idiots can put what ever they want on Wiki and in this case they are wrong. Neither of the 300WMs I had in the past would even come close to either of my 30 Noslers. Norma 300WM has the most case capacity of any WM brass I have had and it is 95 grains of H2O. The 30 Nosler is 99 and the 30-28 will be around 104. The 28 Nosler is 103(I had one and have a buddy that still does). An average 300 win mag will push 215s 2850-2950 with a 26" barrel usually on the lower end of that. My 27" was 2890. My 28" was 2950. There are guys getting faster but that is not the norm. It is the exception. The 30 Nosler with a 26" will push 215s 2950-3100 usually around 3050.Both of mine were around 3030-3040. This is all with H1000. Those are facts not crap on wiki. I can not tell you want you want in a rifle or cartridge. What I can say is when I decide to chamber a barrel I know it is really no different than primers, powder, bullets, and brass. I could not care less if it will be around in a few years. I buy what I need and determine wether or not I want another after using it. To me the 30 Nolser is better than the 300 wm in every single way except component availability and standing the test of time(yet to be seen) which means nothing to me. I have what I need. So if the 30 Nosler is not around in 5 years I am out a set of dies which are nothing compared to 4k custom rifles and 3k optics. If you are not reloading and plan on keeping a rifle with the same barrel for the next century get a WM and move on. Back to the RUM or Norma or 300 Lapua or 30-50BMG, yes there is always something better. You have to have a cut off somewhere for me 100 grains of H20 is it for a 30 cal.

rfurman

Any published data at this point would be a start. Thanks
I do not have any published data but I have plenty of experience with the 300 WM with 215 Bergers and H1000. My data would be a good place to start. This is where I will be starting with mine.

Last edited:
I have had three WMs(still have one). I have had 3 30 Noslers(still have 2). I have a PRC on the way. Idiots can put what ever they want on Wiki and in this case they are wrong. Neither of the 300WMs I had in the past would even come close to either of my 30 Noslers. Norma 300WM has the most case capacity of any WM brass I have had and it is 95 grains of H2O. The 30 Nosler is 99 and the 30-28 will be around 104. The 28 Nosler is 103(I had one and have a buddy that still does). An average 300 win mag will push 215s 2850-2950 with a 26" barrel usually on the lower end of that. My 27" was 2890. My 28" was 2950. There are guys getting faster but that is not the norm. It is the exception. The 30 Nosler with a 26" will push 215s 2950-3100 usually around 3050.Both of mine were around 3030-3040. This is all with H1000. Those are facts not crap on wiki. I can not tell you want you want in a rifle or cartridge. What I can say is when I decide to chamber a barrel I know it is really no different than primers, powder, bullets, and brass. I could not care less if it will be around in a few years. I buy what I need and determine wether or not I want another after using it. To me the 30 Nolser is better than the 300 wm in every single way except component availability and standing the test of time(yet to be seen) which means nothing to me. I have what I need. So if the 30 Nosler is not around in 5 years I am out a set of dies which are nothing compared to 4k custom rifles and 3k optics. If you are not reloading and plan on keeping a rifle with the same barrel for the next century get a WM and move on. Back to the RUM or Norma or 300 Lapua or 30-50BMG, yes there is always something better. You have to have a cut off somewhere for me 100 grains of H20 is it for a 30 cal.

I've been fallowing this thread pretty closely, as well as a few others. There seem to be a few of you on here who buy enough stuff for the known or estimated life of that build-meaning the avg. life of the barrel for whatever particular cartridge being chambered.
I've mostly been the "buy as I need guy". Which has been aggravating at times.
Coming up with 1200 bullets, 20-24 lbs of powder(making keeping it in same lot number easier), brass, primers, dies..... this is a big investment all at once but I see wisdom.
Heck I just found 6 pounds of H50bmg, that's only 1/4 of what it would take to get through a Lapua Mag.:D

I've been fallowing this thread pretty closely, as well as a few others. There seem to be a few of you on here who buy enough stuff for the known or estimated life of that build-meaning the avg. life of the barrel for whatever particular cartridge being chambered.
I've mostly been the "buy as I need guy". Which has been aggravating at times.
Coming up with 1200 bullets, 20-24 lbs of powder(making keeping it in same lot number easier), brass, primers, dies..... this is a big investment all at once but I see wisdom.
Heck I just found 6 pounds of H50bmg, that's only 1/4 of what it would take to get through a Lapua Mag.:D

Yep, not cheap but neither is a custom rifle with optics. I figure most of the magnums to have acceptable accuracy to 1k rounds. Every once in a while I will try a new bullet or powder and I do not dive head first into that.

Heck, you would not believe the psych talks I have with myself (and the muzzle break lol) about paying for even a $1200-1500 scope. She is going to flip a gear when she finds out I got that H50bmg powder on layaway :rolleyes:

It gets even better when the wife(muzzle break) gets into shooting LR too. Lots less explaining to do about cost justifications

As planned, I looked at the magazine compatibility with the Remington 700 magnum action and these cartridges. The 700 magazine measures ~3.681". Hopefully some of you can provide measurements for other actions. I had previous made or discovered in other forums the following cartridge COAL's:

Case Length Chart.PNG

The 0.2328 freebore used above comes from the SAAMI 300 PRC Reamer throat dimensions. The 300 SI COAL comes from elkaholic in one of the other forums. He built a 300 PRS Sherman Improved. He has a lot of good data on the 300 PRC SI. Apparently, the 300 PRC SI reamer was designed with a long freebore than the SAAMI 300 PRC version.

From the above information it looks like the all of the above cartridge's with the exception of the 300 PRC SI. To do a build on it with the Remington action and the 300 PRC SI it will require an Wyatt Extended well magazine which requires the gunsmith to open up the bottom of the action for the longer magazine box and bottom metal. I had to do the same thing with the 270 WSM build as well as I wanted a longer COAL which also would not fit in the Short Action Remington 700.

If I go with the 300 PRC SI I will be looking for a custom action with a longer magazine that does not need modified.

I also looked at H2O capacity. I pulled measurements from members comments on this site, who did the measurements. I believe all the measurements were to the top of the case.

H2O.PNG

What I realized is this isn't very scientific. To do I right we would have to have the same person do all the measurements with the same process. It's probably better just to say the 30 Nosler and 300 PRC are likely almost identical in case capacity and the 30-28 Nosler and 300 PRC SI are within a couple grains.

Next I'll look at case forming processes and reamers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.