300 Norma or 30 Nosler???

So CPG, the US importer of Lapua brass, just emailed me and said they are looking at this brass hitting the shelves around April '19.
I've had 200 rounds on back order at Grafs since the first listed it back in April or something lol

Peterson just responded and said they are hoping for 1st qtr '19 for 300 NM v2. ADG just said sometime in '19.

Peterson just responded and said they are hoping for 1st qtr '19 for 300 NM v2. ADG just said sometime in '19.
Yeah I heard same from both vendors. I have 100pc of the peterson. From what a few have observed, the web grows 2 thou upon first firing, and then will not grow after unless you're literally abusing the brass. It's been tested up to 75k psi and saami is like 64k. So it is stout. I weighed all hundred, was between 308-310 gr total. Very uniform consistent brass.

I would lean towards the .300 Norma. By mid-2019 there will be Lapua, Peterson, ADG, Bertram, and Norma brass all available for this cartridge. With the .30 Nosler you're currently limited to Nosler brass, which is decent brass but doesn't hold up to pressure for very long. Bertram says they are working on .30 Nosler brass, so that should help.

The .300 PRC looks pretty good as well. Ballistically it's identical to the .30 Nosler. What advantages I see with the PRC is first off it's SAAMI reamer design was made perfect for 220-230gr bullets with a match style chamber. Hornady designed it to work in today's 3.6"-3.7" magazine boxes found in long action rifles. Nosler on the other hand designed the .30 Nosler around the 3.4" magazine in their line of rifles. That really shot them in the foot. Now you have to special order a reamer for a longer freebore, or have your smith lengthen the throat if you plan to shoot heavy, high BC bullets in the Nosler with proper seating depth. The PRC will suffer from Hornady brass, unless Hornady steps up their game and makes decent brass that lasts, like they have done on occasion before. I feel like Hornady's marketing will pay off and you'll start to see brass manufacturers pick up on the .300 PRC just like they did with the Creedmoor and they're going to do with the 6.5 PRC.

Supposably ADG is coming out with 30 Nosler brass it could be a game changer.
Brass is probably the only reason I dont build one myself, the Nosler brass just doesn't cut it. I loaded for a 28 Nosler and the Bertram brass I wasnt impressed with the consistency, it had good primer pockets but if you weight sorted it and turned the necks then it was o.k not like the Peterson I've been around

I'd throw the PRC right out of the discussion, Hornady brass is terrible.
You should be a little research on the recent testing being done with the 6.5 PRC..
I read at least one article done by Match Grade Machine where they put the brass through a torture test and got 8 plus loads out of it

Everytime I have used Hornady brass I have come away disappointed.
I just googled 6.5 p.r.c brass and read were one guy got some from G.A.P and he was disappointed with it.
One "torture" test is not gonna make me try to use hornady brass. Time will tell.

You should be a little research on the recent testing being done with the 6.5 PRC..
I read at least one article done by Match Grade Machine where they put the brass through a torture test and got 8 plus loads out of it

I've tried Hornady brass in almost a dozen cartridges, it never fails to disappoint. 8 reloads is good? I personally pounded the **** out of a single piece of Peterson 300 Norma brass for 10 before I got bored . Primer pockets were still like new . Hornady brass sucks, buy some and try it , I'll never be on board with a cartridge that relies on Hornady.

Think 7 LRM , how come it hasn't established itself as a legitimate fast 7 ? Because of the Hornady brass.

Yeah I'm hoping we get some good brass reviews from the PRC guys on here..
I'll tell you what really ****ed me off; paying $3 a case for 28 nosler brass and having the cases split after 7 loads.
This was a moderate load with 180's @ 3100 fps.
I personally am tired of getting ripped off by Norma/nosler

Lapua brass is quality and you wont wear it out if full length sized properly. I have thrown out cases with 25 reloads just because I wanted to start the new barrel on fresh brass. I personally will be building myself a 300 Norma improved because of the lapua cases and I just want one :). It will also have a shorter powder column which seems to be a common theme with very accurate cases. But to be honest, if Lapua offered 30 Nosler brass I would probably go that route. I REALLY like the 30 nosler, and ADG brass will be awesome when that happens. If I had to pick a perfect elk cartridge it would be a 30 Nosler. Good problems to have.

I'm in a Quandry also between the 2.
I know people open up bolt faces to the Lapua size for the Norma but I wont so in my opinion that is one down side if your on a budget gotta pretty much have to go custom. Now that Peterson and when Lapua start coming out with Norma brass right now that advantage goes to the Norma.
The good with the 30 Nosler, standard mag box length and mag. bolt face.
The bad right now brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts