300 RUM or 300 Norma Mag

Thank you for the feedback so far. Any other thoughts or experiences with either is much appreciated!
I shoot the .300wm and .300 Rum and in fact have 3 of each.

Until I bought my .375's my Rum's were pretty much my primary shooters all through the season.

I'll warn you though that in Africa when it comes to picking up factory ammo you'd be far better off with the .300wm than with either the Norma or Rum.

I know a few stores in carry the Rum, but pretty much all carry WM and you'd be hard pressed to find any for the Norma.

Despite the hype of newer cartridges if Rum performance is your goal I'd stick with it.

It's simple enough to pack and ship your ammunition to the PH long before a trip to any of the African destinations available today. You can also bring the allotted amount with you just in case, even though you know ahead of time that the PH has your original package. This way you are assured that your ammunition is the tested recipe you need for your rifle. You take no chances. Any leftovers can be gifted to the PH, his family and friends who can usually use extra ammunition.

This same process can be applied to any hunt here in the U.S. as well. Pack and label it properly then ship the ammunition to your guide or outfitter ahead of time. You can then bring your legal amount with you if you fly. Driving shouldn't be any problem so long as you obey the rules for each state you have drive through.

Best.

300 Norma.

Did some looking around for load data and the Norma matches or exceeds RUM velocity with an average of 8-10 grains less powder. Even if velocity comes up slightly shy of the RUM (I doubt in any situation the RUM will out pace it by more than 50 fps) you still have a much more efficient cartridge. The RUM is past the point of returns.

Second thing I'd look at is barrel life, this can be subjective and no one might know just yet but I bet because of design the 300 Norma will have 50% more barrel life over the RUM.

Next I'd look at brass, all the best on the market offer 300 Norma, and I don't think any of them offer RUM. Sure Bertram might run some RUM brass which is good stuff but it's thick heavy brass with lower case capacity possibly giving you a crutch on the performance you where looking for.

What I'd be considering is whether to go 300 or 338 Norma!

Flip a coin. I like the RUM myself. Been killing elk with one since 1999. mtmuley
That old girl has one more big one in her. She's going to Hammer a giant bull this fall. I am really looking forward to the trip even though I did not draw my elk permit for the area. Me and the kids will be relegated to muley does and packing meat. Gonna be a great trip!

Steve

It's simple enough to pack and ship your ammunition to the PH long before a trip to any of the African destinations available today. You can also bring the allotted amount with you just in case, even though you know ahead of time that the PH has your original package. This way you are assured that your ammunition is the tested recipe you need for your rifle. You take no chances. Any leftovers can be gifted to the PH, his family and friends who can usually use extra ammunition.

This same process can be applied to any hunt here in the U.S. as well. Pack and label it properly then ship the ammunition to your guide or outfitter ahead of time. You can then bring your legal amount with you if you fly. Driving shouldn't be any problem so long as you obey the rules for each state you have drive through.

Best.
And if nothing ever got lost, stolen, damaged, hung up in transit/shipping, customs, or on a hunt, it would never be a problem.

In reality on the other hand it is a very valid concern.

And if nothing ever got lost, stolen, damaged, hung up in transit/shipping, customs, or on a hunt, it would never be a problem.

You can also bring the allotted amount with you just in case, even though you know ahead of time that the PH has your original package.

That's exactly why I wrote the above in the second quote. If I've done this once, I've done it a hundred times, and always getting confirmation of the arrival of the package. I've done this for hunts and competitions, never failing to have the right ammunition at the right time. Planning far enough ahead to allow for errors and making sure that you're covered is a positive step toward a successful hunt or competition.

Regards.

That's exactly why I wrote the above in the second quote. If I've done this once, I've done it a hundred times, and always getting confirmation of the arrival of the package. I've done this for hunts and competitions, never failing to have the right ammunition at the right time. Planning far enough ahead to allow for errors and making sure that you're covered is a positive step toward a successful hunt or competition.

Regards.
And I know a lot of guys who have ended up screwed when they got to their destination and something had happened to their ammo.

Trophy game safaris that we work with has rifles on hand for their clients to use. If there was such a problem for one of their clients They would not be out of luck. They are all loaded with Hammers so They can spend more time hunting and less time tracking.

Steve

Trophy game safaris that we work with has rifles on hand for their clients to use. If there was such a problem for one of their clients They would not be out of luck. They are all loaded with Hammers so They can spend more time hunting and less time tracking.

Steve
Everyone I know in the business can provide rifles and ammo but for most of us being able to always complete a hunt with our own rifles is a big part of the whole experience.

Everyone I know in the business can provide rifles and ammo but for most of us being able to always complete a hunt with our own rifles is a big part of the whole experience.
I agree with that. I would much rather use my own rifle. Interestingly Tino at Trophy Game Safaris said that clients have changed over the recent years and now about half of the hunters that come elect to use the rifles provided rather than travel with their own. He said 10 years ago they almost never provided a rifle for a client.

Steve

Man, with all this 300 talk, I wonder If anyone has thought of a 300 creedmoor magnum.... should be able to kill anything walking up to a mile..... at least..... :D

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1532750225894.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532750225894.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 345
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts