300 Norma Mag

flopearedmule

Hi all
I want to build a 300 Norma Mag and I'm inquiring about different actions.
I have built 4 different rifles now, using Brux barrels and Remington actions.
They all shoot under 1/2"
It looks like the 300 NM, I will need a bigger action? What are some options that are better priced then $1,600?? Stiller is the cheapest one I can find so far. (tac 338)
Is there any other style besides a bolt action? prefer a single shot
Looking for options and opinions. Thanks

Look up jack Lyons and the TL actions. He has the right bolt face now. He's building 3 guns for me and I'm waiting on my Norma mag.

A trigger isn't an action.

They're all way over $1600 by the time you put a $275 trigger , $350 barrel and $800 stock on them , never mind bottom metal, mags and gunsmith labor .

Defiance
Badger Ordinance
Kelbly
Stiller
Weatherby MK V

Trigger not included

That's what I was looking for.....Thanks I'll make some calls tomorrow.
The new Remington actions I bought come with a trigger. I've never paid $800 for a stock. $150 for triggers, and over $400 for fluted barrels. I've done my own gunsmithing so far. PT&G reamers have worked great!

Last edited:
https://defiancemachine.com/

My next one will probably be built on a defiance. It does seem kind of strange that you can go to Walmart and buy a complete safe working firearm for $249 with a Remington action, but a fancy pants copy of a Remington action alone is like $1500. We are a gullible bunch.
LOL yep, you got that right. two of the guns I build so far I used a brand new rem action that I paid $360 with the trigger and they shoot really good. The others I bought a used Remington and just chambered a new barrel on it. that shoots good too. I'll make some calls tomorrow and check out Defiance, Bat and TL
thanks guys

BAT won't be under 1600, unless you run an HR without the rail (be close even at that), but they're pretty! TLs look good at the price point, kelbly atlas too. Also check out the Curtis Axiom.

https://defiancemachine.com/

My next one will probably be built on a defiance. It does seem kind of strange that you can go to Walmart and buy a complete safe working firearm for $249 with a Remington action, but a fancy pants copy of a Remington action alone is like $1500. We are a gullible bunch.
LOL you got that right. I was wondering if we were stuck paying that much or if there was cheaper options. I'll be making some calls tomorrow to get some prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.