.300 Norma or .300 RUM (can’t decide!!!) What

I'm wanting to build a new rifle for the upcoming 230 & 250 A-TIPs and can't decide on a cartridge to push them.

Narrowed it down to these two cases predominantly for case capacity and brass availability.

I'm not ruling out another cartridge if someone can highlight one I should also be looking at.

I like the RUM as i can use just a magnum bolt face and not a lapua unit. Also Mcmillan will do a carbon for a RUM and not a Norma action.
Not too fussed about the single feeding issue with the RUM. What advantages does the Norma have over this case besides mag feeding?

I would go with the 300 R.U.M. , it's been my go-to .30 Caliber Magnum for years now, it never disappoints and is great for reloading .

I'm wanting to build a new rifle for the upcoming 230 & 250 A-TIPs and can't decide on a cartridge to push them.

Narrowed it down to these two cases predominantly for case capacity and brass availability.

I'm not ruling out another cartridge if someone can highlight one I should also be looking at.

I like the RUM as i can use just a magnum bolt face and not a lapua unit. Also Mcmillan will do a carbon for a RUM and not a Norma action.
Not too fussed about the single feeding issue with the RUM. What advantages does the Norma have over this case besides mag feeding?
RUM

Pretty sure the HCM originated here in Melbourne, Australia my home town. I do like it but I would prefer to stick to something with readily available brass, also want to use a proof carbon wrap and I don't think the HCM is going to be too friendly as the case will stick further out then the shank and onto the area 'wrapped' in carbon. May be unsafe as it's really only an s/s sleeve under the carbon
I'm not sure you have the wrapping process right. I had the same questions about a 338 Allen Mag in a Proof barrel. Im pretty sure whatever you are shooting isn't near as long or shoots 147 grains of BMG pushing a 300 BERGER @ 3400fps. So we asked Proof. The chamber area of the steel to wrap transition is a very slow taper away and down to the eventual barrel/tube min diameter, maybe similar to a light mountain profile barrel. It is NOT a straight wall. The chamber walls are very near the full diameter for a long way. The carbon is more of a veneer at that end. So no worries mate. Buy the Proof and enjoy.

I would be more concerned about the tenon diameter and lug surface area. 1.200 shank is fine.

I spoke to Defiance regarding this and the Defiance Deviant I'm running is suitable for the cases I'm looking at. Looks like I'm chambering for the .300 Norma or Norma improved one of those two. Leaning more toward the standard version as all I'm chasing is 3050 FPS with a 230 And iv got the 28" tube so should be achievable with H1000

Simple..NEITHER..too many issues with both, why drive yourself crazy for 100 fps or so, a couple of extra clicks in the scope and as Ozzy said, NO MORE TEARS !!

I spoke to Defiance regarding this and the Defiance Deviant I'm running is suitable for the cases I'm looking at. Looks like I'm chambering for the .300 Norma or Norma improved one of those two. Leaning more toward the standard version as all I'm chasing is 3050 FPS with a 230 And iv got the 28" tube so should be achievable with H1000

My 300 R.U.M. w/28" h.c. barrel is pushing a 225gr. ELD-Match 2,900fps with 87.5gr. of Retumbo and a B.C. of 0.730 at a C.O.L. of 3.600+, the kinetic energy is at 4,092ft.lbs.

30/28 nosler is an amazing unit behind a Ryan Pierce built rifle, the accuracy is unbelievable for a hunting rifle. I would opt that route over a RUM for the OAL savings, among other positives. A 215 berger at 3050+fps with an ES below 10fps and shooting .1'-.2" groups sounds like a winner to me.

30/28 nosler is an amazing unit behind a Ryan Pierce built rifle, the accuracy is unbelievable for a hunting rifle. I would opt that route over a RUM for the OAL savings, among other positives. A 215 berger at 3050+fps with an ES below 10fps and shooting .1'-.2" groups sounds like a winner to me.
Or you can run his 300nm imp and push the 230 Berger that velocity or perhaps better. I'm bout to do load development on mine. He builds a beautiful rifle!

I have had both. Multiple barrels of 30/28 and on my second with 300 NMI. If staring from scratch go with 300 NMI and Bat HR action. If you want to switch down the road you just buy a new bolt. Best Lapua sized action imo. If you already have a mag action then go 30 Nosler or 30/28.

I'm probably going to build both eventually lol. I do however have a defiance arriving next week with lapua face so will build a Norma on that for the 230's.

I have a tonne of 28 brass though so eventually want to give the 30/28 a go.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.