300 Weatherby or 300 RUM???

300 Weatherby is much more efficient and is nicer on barrels. I think for the .30 Caliber magnums, 300 Weatherby is the furthest you can go before you get diminishing returns on performance. I have a Mark V that my father gave me. It does have a 30" Douglas barrel on it now. I shoot 168's at 3550 fps, 180-grain bullets at 3375 fps, and 210-grain bullets at 3150 fps. I use about 80 grains of powder or slightly less to achieve this. 300 RUM will do maybe like 25-50 fps more but at the cost of 20 more grains of powder. To me, it's not worth it. Others may feel differently. I still find it funny that a cartridge designed in 1944 is still one of the top dogs in performance to efficiency.

300 Weatherby is much more efficient and is nicer on barrels. I think for the .30 Caliber magnums, 300 Weatherby is the furthest you can go before you get diminishing returns on performance. I have a Mark V that my father gave me. It does have a 30" Douglas barrel on it now. I shoot 168's at 3550 fps, 180-grain bullets at 3375 fps, and 210-grain bullets at 3150 fps. I use about 80 grains of powder or slightly less to achieve this. 300 RUM will do maybe like 25-50 fps more but at the cost of 20 more grains of powder. To me, it's not worth it. Others may feel differently. I still find it funny that a cartridge designed in 1944 is still one of the top dogs in performance to efficiency.
Until you get up to the Lapua sized case it's pretty hard to shoot out any of the .30 cal's unless you just abuse them to death running them hot and keeping on shooting.

With reasonable care and use any of them is most likely going to last you a lifetime.

Until you get up to the Lapua sized case it's pretty hard to shoot out any of the .30 cal's unless you just abuse them to death running them hot and keeping on shooting.

With reasonable care and use any of them is most likely going to last you a lifetime.
Still get 15-20 more rounds per lb of powder with virtually the same performance in the 300 Bee than the Ultra when reloading.

I've owned and used .300 Winchester Mag's, and .300 Weatherby Mag's. I have never even held a .300RUM.

That said, I have a hard time imagining how much better any other .300 could be than either, for most hunting where a .300 would be appropriate. Both are way over powered for deer sized game, excellent elk rounds for any range an elk should be shot at, and suitable for even the largest bears in NA. That is if any 30 Cal is suitable.

My bet, is the .300Win is easier to get than any other .300 mag, shoots as well, or better in a rifle you would chase elk with all day, and will be the last one standing over the long haul.

If I had the expendable cash, and I wanted another weatherby I would go buy another weatherby.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.