300 Norma or 30 Nosler???

I'd throw the 300 PRC into the discussion. Some think it's a better case design than the 30 Nosler, no rebated rim for instance. Also I think Hornady will support the PRC better than Nosler does their designs.

I don't see the 300 PRC bringing much to the table that wasn't already there for handloaders. For guys that want to run factory ammo with chambers set up properly in rifles manufactured by Ruger and others it will be a decent 30 cal option that will have support by Hornady for guys that don't reload. At least in this cartridge design the factory ammo will be maximizing the cases full potentional. But with only Hornady brass available for reloaders I won't consider building one.

As for the whole non rebated rebated rim thing giving it a feeding advantage over the Rum based cases. In my opinion this is marketing BS to shooters who don't know any better. I've had 2 rum based wildcats with rebated rims. One in a short action, one in a L/A and never had any feeding issues.

Weiser, would you mind elaborating on why you prefer the 300 Norma over the 30 nos.

It's VERY forgiving, excellent brass is here from two different sources and excellent LR ammo is available to those who don't hand load .

I too am researching the big 30's for my next build. I am leaning towards a 300 Norma ,or a variant of, because of the extra distance it will achieve supersonic. Peterson and Lapua both offer 300 Norma stamped brass, in addition to Norma of course, and that is a huge plus in my book. The decreased barrel life does not thrill me but I figure I can find a high and low node and shoot them accordingly based on my target distance. The 30 Nosler and 300 PRC would both be cheaper to build and shoot but with only one brass maker for each I am a bit hesitant.

Cannot get lapua brass yet unless you shoot the Berger ammo, which is really frustrating, as it's for sale in every other country. Peterson is good stuff, they messed up and undersized the web by 2-3 thousandths. Supposedly goibg to be corrected on gen2 brass. Bertram makes some very tough brass for the chambering as well. My rifle is almost complete. There will be a carbon titanium 30 nosler for sale very soon I'm thinking.....

Cannot get lapua brass yet unless you shoot the Berger ammo, which is really frustrating, as it's for sale in every other country. Peterson is good stuff, they messed up and undersized the web by 2-3 thousandths. Supposedly goibg to be corrected on gen2 brass. Bertram makes some very tough brass for the chambering as well. My rifle is almost complete. There will be a carbon titanium 30 nosler for sale very soon I'm thinking.....
Let us know how it turns out.

I did not know about either issue, I just saw that each mfg made them, thank you for that piece of info. Based on that, I have emailed both companies and ADG to see if one of the 3 might provide an option in the near future.

What action did you go with for your build?

I did not know about either issue, I just saw that each mfg made them, thank you for that piece of info. Based on that, I have emailed both companies and ADG to see if one of the 3 might provide an option in the near future.
ADG is in the process of getting 300 norma into production. It'll be a great option as well.

So CPG, the US importer of Lapua brass, just emailed me and said they are looking at this brass hitting the shelves around April '19.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.