300 RUM, 30 Nosler, 300 Norma... Which one?

Love my 300 Rum! It's easy to load for and shoots those 230 Bergers in a single hole.View attachment 84015
I have only tried one of the three calibers mentioned, the 300 RUM. Had to put a muzzle break on it, now can put as many rounds through it as I want without getting beat up. It's a kitten now. Reloaded first with the Hornady 208 grain ELD match. Now I have two boxes of 212 grain ELX-X for hunting. I'm sure all of those others are fine and fun to perfect but I don't have all the time in the world nor budget. The 300 RUM puts a smile on my face when I shoot it. Lots left to learn. Happy hunting.

If you want to step it up a bit , consider the 30-378 Weatherby. Brass and ammo is readily available and it'll send a 230 as fast as you'd ever need .
ABSOLUTELY must second WeiserBucks! My outta the box Mark V Accumark shoots .7's @ 200 yds. all day with my handloads. Just shoot it slow and your throat will last much longer... It also kills game as far as you want to shoot!!!

Had two Sako TRG-S rifles in 7.82 Warbird, Have a Sako TRG-S in 30-378 WBY, a Rem 700 Classic in 300 Wby, Win 70 Classic Stainless in 300 Win Mag, two Tikka T3's in 300 WSM, and 4 Rem 700's in 300 RUM (one is an Improved version) and had one in 300 Norma that is now the 300 LRH .... after 30 years of 30 cal madness I can honestly tell you to stay away from the WBY cartridges, nothing exciting about them, ugly as sin and for their case length the 300 RUM is a far better option, wby brass is highly expensive and if run at peak pressures for advertised/expected velocity, brass is pop and toss, reloads on brass require reduced loads somewhat then a 300 Win mag starts making more sense.... The 300 RUM makes the most sense for long range hunting, it has a stellar reputation for serious accuracy that the Wby's lack , if the 230 Bergers are too long for mag feed then the 215's are easily made to work along with the 212 gr ELDX and both bullets are capable of smacking big game past 1000 yards, after a dry spell More brass is now available for the 300 RUM via Nosler, Hornady, Norma, Bertram and ADG is cranking some out, before long Petersen will join in to get a slice of the pie, it's only a matter of time..... 30 Nosler ? an unbelted 300 Winnie, lacks velocity I like and that does not have any sex appeal at all and only Nosler has brass that isn't the best of quality at pressures for max velocity, the 300 WSM is slower but a sexier shorter gal .....

other than the 300 RUM , the 300 Norma Mag is a phenomenal cartridge and needs no introduction as for accuracy and velocity, just shy of the 300 RUM in speed but has far more sex appeal than all the other cartridges put together, the 300 Norma improved version smokes the 300 Rum and is seriously accurate, with a 30" barrel the 225 gr ELDM's zipping out at 3250 fps with 1/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards is serious long range business ... Petersen is making brass in the new year, ADG is climbing aboard, rumor has it Hornady is going to release 300 NM and 338 NM brass and ELDX and M ammo at the shot show, another new brass manufacturer is coming in the new year and will be cranking Norma Mag brass among a few other things in the new year as well, Long Range shooters seriously need to look about them and surge forward hard and fast or be left behind with Great Grandads ol rusty junk........ cannot stress that enough and I know some guys will get their feelers all twisted but c'mon man, wake up and realize it's time to grow up and move on, Atari and Centipede is way, way outdated, much cooler games are to be had

30-378 not accurate, HOGWASH!!! From Wiki:

Earl Chronister, shooting a .30-378 Weatherby Magnum shot the first ever ten shot 10X with the first nine shot to 3.125 inches and the tenth flyer for an overall group of 4.375 inches. This record stood for over 30 years.

At 1000 YARDS!!!

Slap a 31" tube on it and it's hard to beat... Case capacity cannot be denied @ 133 Grs. H2o...

Your statement (serious accuracy that the Wby's lack) that's pretty hard to swallow, maybe you had bad luck but the rest of the world has not.

I get 4-6 reloads of Wby (Norma) brass before primer pockets get loose. DoubleGobble00 check out this thread from our beloved site right here:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-378-weatherby-shooter.72577/

Best of luck on whatever you go with. Also Swamplord, not banging on ya buddy, I just had to call out the (serious accuracy that the Wby's lack) comment...

Also, what makes any cartridge "SEXY" and how does that affect accuracy?? I find tall leggy blondes SEXY, (Nicole Kidman) fella's????? :)

Peace, and Happy turkey day all…

Last edited:
You might want to look at APS's 300AX. with the 27 inch barrel, mine shoots 1/4 inch MOA with either bullet. The Accubond 200 gr is at 3300 fps with H1000, a very strong accurate hunting load, will go 3400fps with Reloader 33, the Berger 210 gr is at 3166 fps using Retumbo. The Remington action's mag will accommodate Bergers all day long. I have not developed a load for the Berger 230 gr bullets. This rifle caliber is built on a necked 338 Lapua case to boot.

I like the idea of the extended box but dang... are all those detachable magazine assemblies over $300!!! That might make we stick with bdl bottom metal.

Wyatt makes I believe two different length internal mag box's for the 700 so you can run a longer c.o.l and still keep your factory hinged floor plate.

I liked my 300rum even with a ****** Douglas barrel. I do like the fact that a lot of manufactures make ammo for it as well. The other 2 not so much nosler is the only one I've seen with ammo for 30 and zero for the 300nm.

300 RUM is a great choice, shot mine regularly with precision and performance, taking elk,bear, moose and Dahl sheep. On the down side, as a caliber for me it was a difficult case to load. Once you had that mastered you are home free with a quick, dependable and accurate cartridge. Good luck.
PS. If you already own a 300 Win. Mag. work own that load, it will be just as accurate and take the same game as the 300 RUM for less cost, just saying.

The 300 RUM will run through several different internal mag set ups and utilize all of its case capacity while feeding reliably through them and getting the most FPS and accuracy while doing so!! Its super easy to load for will shoot any bullet you put in it and do it with authority!! A case this size should never even begin to be stunted by running through a DBM of any sort! the 30 nosler is just that.... a 300 win mag without a belt!! when comparing them side by side with all components and build parts being equal it is in fact its non belted twin!! don't get me wrong its accurate as all get out but so is the 300 win mag and you don't have to pay nosler's ridiculous prices for their brass, but neither will hang with the 300 rum when shooting the heavies in the same barrel lengths!! The brass for it is as readily available as the rest Bertram, norma, Remington, federal, hornady and he newer companies coming on line make it even better choice. The 300 norma is cool but needs a bigger action or upgraded BF and so on yes it will feed out of a mag box but so will the RUM when built right, it will touch the lands with room to spare but so will the RUM when built right, it has only one source of brass where as the RUM has 5 and more coming along. The 230 berger do serious work down range put it in a 30-32" tube using some of the slowest powders and there are non on a magnum bolt face that will compare to it without serious alterations to the case or brass work involved!! I am a tried and true 300 rum fan have been since they released it to the market i run mine through a thunderbeast ultra 9 can and its awesome to say the least!!!

Thanks for all the information. I'm pretty sold on the 300 RUM. I'm thinking 28-30" barrel with a 9 twist for the heavies or any future heavies that come out.

I still can't get my mind wrapped around the longer mag box. I plan to build this gun myself as a Remage in a mcmillan A5. I can get a mcmillan LA inletted for BDL bottom metal. I assume then I have to open this box more with a dremel or mill and also remove some metal from the action to get the longer mag box to fit? It also looks like I need to remove some metal from the bolt release.

Is this correct or I'm I over thinking this project? Do the BDL bottom metal and spring still work for the bigger box?

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/32

Well I have a fresh 10 twist Broughton Barrel on a 300 WM, and while I'm shooting it a lot in the next year, I am contemplating the "next" chambering, or the next bigger/badder rifle. Trying to find a balance of barrel life (yes they are consumeable) cost to shoot, recoil, case quality and case life, and realistically how much shooting I will do at extended ranges. Interesting thread, keep the information coming.

Quit monkeying around...do a 30/405. or the biggest case you can find..30/8mm mag...bigbigbigger...more more and lots more....make america great again !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.