300 RUM, 30 Nosler, 300 Norma... Which one?

I didn't know much about the 300 Norma mag but haven't paid it much attention since it doesn't not have the speeds of the 300 RUM. The 300 Norma Mag Ackley sounds good if faster than 300 Rum.

What are the main pros to the 300 Norma mag? Just shorter case so you can set the bullets longer and improved accuracy?

In terms of the 30 Nosler, is Nosler the only group that sells loaded ammo and bare brass? I don't want to get into a sole source option like weatherby.

As of now Nosler is the only one who sells 30 Nosler, but Norma makes it and they sell 26 nosler. I would expect to see 28 and 30 nosler brass available from Norma soon. The case designs are so good and overdue that they will be around for a very long time.

The 300 Norma AI will not be faster than the 300 RUM, but will get you close with a lot less Powder and therefore recoil.
I did an improved version of the 300 Norma (before they came out with the 300 Norma) called a 300 JAZZ.
There are a lot of advantages to the 300 Norma case, unless you are after strictly speed, then do the RUM.

I shoot 230 bergers out of my 300 win mag and it does well, but I'd like this gun to be faster since the 300 WM has the slower speeds covered.

These are the items I'm really looking for:
1) Accuracy
2) Velocity near or over 3k with 230 bergers (significant velocity over 300 WM)
3) Long case life (rather not hot rod the cases) but still hit or near 3k fps
4) Availability of reloading brass and store bought ammo
5) Fit in a standard bdl magazine and still be accurate if can't jam the bergers

Items 1,2,and 3 are certainly doable with the 300 Norma AI.
Not sure on #4, but I bet the 300 Norma brass is just as easy:) to find as the 300 RUM.
I do know that when I was running my 300 JAZZ, the Norma brass was excellent, had over 15 reloads on it.
Concerning #5, the 300 Norma was designed to work in a standard mag box.

The 300 Norma AI is probably not in the choices due to my laziness of fire forming and having to have a custom reamer. I do however like the non-ackley 300 Norma.

What bolt face do you need for the 300 Norma? Can you buy a Rem 700 action with that bolt face?

You can't quite get the 300 RUM velocities out of the non ackley but I like the fact that you can seat your bullets out, efficient powder use, and case design.

The 300 Norma AI is probably not in the choices due to my laziness of fire forming and having to have a custom reamer. I do however like the non-ackley 300 Norma.

What bolt face do you need for the 300 Norma? Can you buy a Rem 700 action with that bolt face?

You can't quite get the 300 RUM velocities out of the non ackley but I like the fact that you can seat your bullets out, efficient powder use, and case design.
In the real world down range the differences between the Nosler, Rum, and Norma are minimal.

The Advantage to the Norma and Nosler is the shorter case allowing for seating longer bullets farther out and still fit easily into a standard magnum box magazine but if you're going with a custom that's not a major consideration.

I'm not much of a fan of jumping from one to another as the newest, latest, better, or bestests new mousetrap comes out myself. Even loading to 3.58" to ensure my loads all fit well into standard factory box mag's my 3 Rum's all perform beyond my own capabilities and don't seem to require much tweaking and tuning to get them to shoot very well.

If maximum speed is something you require give consideration to the .300 Lapua/.300-.338L. It never took off as a commercial round but it's an absolute screamer and of course you simply cannot beat Lapua brass. It's high on the front end but unless you're pushing it at max pressures it will last you close to 2x as long as most of the other brass on the market today.

It does require you to go with an action built to handle the .338 Lapua and the same magazine but if you are going custom, that's not a major consideration either.

Personally I'd stick with the RUM but there's lots of good options out there.

In a Rem rifle, the Wyatt's extended box that's ~4.00" (3.99") will take care of a 230 Berger.

I did the 300 RUM myself. It'll push 210 Bergers at 3150 fps from my 27" Krieger. I run a Wyatt's box that allows ~3.825" (shorter than the one I mentioned above).

I like the idea of the extended box but dang... are all those detachable magazine assemblies over $300!!! That might make we stick with bdl bottom metal.

I like the idea of the extended box but dang... are all those detachable magazine assemblies over $300!!! That might make we stick with bdl bottom metal.
PT&G and Wyatt's both make DBM assemblies for considerably less than 300.00.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/97-remington-700-detachable-mag-bottom-metal-dbm

Both also make internal mag boxe for considerably less as well.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/sear...desc&search_query=magazine+box&submit_search=

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.