Which 300?

This is my experience from South Africa...
300WM will kill anything that you are willing to eat.
I will take anything with my Sako Suppressed FinnLight from Springbok to Big Eland bulls up2 about 350m with the large bodied antelope!
and I only use shelve ammo Nosler,Winch,Norma!
very very capable Cartridge!
they do however work you a bit with the recoil! but you can sort that out with a suppressor or brake!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

Question is: 300WM or 300WSM

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
300wsm is used in F class matches some but in that weight amount I would do a 300 win mag from proof or just have one built big horn action and proof pre fit barrel with a AG cat stock in carbon fiber, brake it with a hollland red brake still would be around 6 3/4 -7 lbs with out scope

WSM is very efficient on shorter barrels. If barrel length/ a shorter package isn't much of a concern. Go Wm. I wouldn't consider a WSM much of a long range elk slayer.... but for LR deer WSM is my choice.
Sorry, but I would have to disagree with the WSM not being a long range elk capable rifle. It's very capable and if you review reloading manuals it's even faster. Looking in my most recent version of Hornadys 10th edition and the Hodgdon online recent version it's about 50fps per second faster shooting almost every bullet. 200 grain ELDX out of WSM at 2950fps and 300WM at 2900 fps. The WSM is a more efficient load and cheaper to load for. Components are very affordable. I run my WSM with a 180 Swift Scirroco Ballistic tip at about 3100 FPS. Anyways I own both, both are very capable of taking any North American game animal.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
The 300 WSM will do almost what the 300 WM will do will bullets up to 180 grains. That seem adequate for elk size game out a ways. If I were looking at going to a LA cartridge, I'd bypass all and step into the 300 Norma Mag. I'd even make it a 40° Ackley. Only issue is you need a 338 Lapua bolt face. The 300 WSM is a great cartridge AND you will save some weight.

I just bought a Tikka T3x in 300 WM. Topped with a Vortex Viper 6x24x50. Comes in at about 7.5lbs. Lightweight , fast handling and in a hard hitting caliber with plenty of readily available ammo selections. Good luck.

I'd go with the new 7.6 Creedmoor
;)

Both of those rounds will work excellent in my opinion. Although, do you by chance already have a 7mm Mag or thought about one of those? If you have one and want to step up in performance, have you considered a 338 magnum?
I currently have a 7 mm Remington Magnum. My hand loads are shooting 168 grain Berger VLD's, at 2900 FPS. This round carries 1500 pounds of energy out to 600 yards. Plenty of power to hunt whitetail, Muleys, and Elk. With this kind of performance, I have found that, in my case, jumping to a 30 caliber magnum will not yield that much in the way of difference for my needs. Moving to a 338 magnum would. I will be getting a 338 magnum within the next few months, allowing me the option to comfortably hunt just about anything in the future, including dangerous game. The offerings out there from Fierce, and Christensen are quite impressive in weight and accuracy. I have shot the 338 Lapua from Christensen. While shooting 300 grain Bergers at around 2900 FPS, it is close to a 308 in feel, and very accurate; consistently shooting well under MOA, (usually in the .5 neighborhood) and it weighs around 8.5 pounds without the scope.

I was a 300 win mag fan for years. I still am for that matter. A buddy of mine talked me into building a 30-338 win mag. I've got a m700 action that's been trued, 26" 1/10 twist Douglass barrel, hs Precision stock that's bedded, Leupold Mark 4 6.5x20, triggertech trigger, and run a Silencerco Chimera suppressor on it- the total weight with the can is just shy of 12lbs. I'm shooting a 208gr eldm at 2850 FPS. The recoil is very easy and it's very accurate -

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.