Which 300?

cgailey

I have read a lot of great info on here regarding 300 win vs 300wby. If a person hand loads, what are the actual real world speed differences between the two? Also, I see a lot on the web about potential accuracy issues with the wby, is that a concern? I have several 300 weatherbys( all factory Rem or Wby rifles) and have not experienced poor accuracy personally, but I'm a novice. Thanks in advance!

I have read a lot of great info on here regarding 300 win vs 300wby. If a person hand loads, what are the actual real world speed differences between the two? Also, I see a lot on the web about potential accuracy issues with the wby, is that a concern? I have several 300 weatherbys( all factory Rem or Wby rifles) and have not experienced poor accuracy personally, but I'm a novice. Thanks in advance!
If you already have the rifles and components and happy with it, then stick with the WBY.

To be a fair test, you'd need equal barrel length and pressure. With equal barrel length and pressures, I believe the difference would be 50fps or so. I've had great accuracy with MARK Vs when using factory ammo it liked. Having said that, I've never been able to match the accuracy and velocity at the same time with my handloads. The thing that drives me nuts reloading for my 300/340 is the inability to chase the lands, something that is possible with rifles chambered in the win mag if the magazine length is sufficient.
FWIW, even though I already have a 300wby, I'm setting up a Seekins Havak PH2 in the win mag with an eye to shooting 200 and 210g noslers. The 26" barrel and nearly 4" mag length should be a real equalizer. Just my 0.02.

Last edited:
I have loaded and shot for both. I have found loads that shoot well in both. I wouldn't say 1 is better than the other. The 300wby will net some more speed, but at the expense of a little faster barrel life. The 300 win mag wins in terms of finding good brass availability.

To be a fair test, you'd need equal barrel length and pressure. With equal barrel length and pressures, I believe the difference would be 50fps or so. I've had great accuracy with MARK Vs when using factory ammo it liked. Having said that, I've never been able to match the accuracy and velocity at the same time with my handloads. The thing that drives me nuts reloading for my 300/340 is the inability to chase the lands, something that is possible with rifles chambered in the win mag if the magazine length is sufficient.
FWIW, even though I already have a 300wby, I'm setting up a Seekins Havak PH2 in the win mag with an eye to shooting 200 and 210g noslers. The 26" barrel and nearly 4" mag length should be a real equalize. Just my 0.02.
The .300 WBY does have a long freebore. I have a .257 WBY SAAMI, but I do not have a problem touching the lands with 145 Black Hole bullets.
.257 WBY 145 Black Hole COAL 3.34 CBTO 2.833 .015 off the lands.jpg

Weatherby free bore.JPG

I have 3 .300 WMs, and it remains my go-to chambering. I do not have a .300 WBY, but I have a .30 LARA (I also touch the lands) that shoots the .300 WBY ammo and .300 Jarrett in a pinch.

.300 WM vs .300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

(L-R: .300 WM, .300 WBY, and .30 LARA)
.300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

Last edited:
The 300 WM is a great all around cartridge. If you are looking for more speed, and reload, you have the world to choose from.

I started running a 300 Norma Improved for an elk gun a few years ago. Love it! Shoots well, and you can get great velocities without pushing the envelope.
You are correct; however, unless I misconstrued the OP, he is asking between the .300 WM and .300 WBY. I am a big fan of the NM/I. However, I prefer .338 NM/I over the .300 NM/I, especially for elk at LR. Below is my .338 Thor (.338 NMI). I also prefer the NM over the LM. 😇 It is always nice to have plenty of choices.

.338 NM vs .338 Thor.jpg

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

I have had many of both, some were great shooters some were average, one of my most accurate was a Remington Classic in .300 Weatherby,24" barrel this rifle loved IMR 7828 and Sierra 180's in a boat tail. Velocity was 3247,no pressure and very small sd's. Conclusion .....Rifles are like women, some drive ya nuts ,some are the average and some seem to be on steroids ,this one was as on steroids and I wish I would have kept her ,but you have to find out what she likes. In todays world buy one that's not of new design ,brass is much easier to find ,powder becomes a huge issue too, when companies charge in excess of 55 a pound and bullets are rare if you can find them under 45-50 per 100 while premium run 100 or more. someone is making big bucks and on an average it is a family man raising a family and trying to balance a checkbook , very hard for him to justify the cost. Choose wisely, remember that all that hoopla about a SUPER ALL DO IT CARTRIDGE is just good story writing, it may only beat a 50 year old warrior by 40 fps and when loaded to safe pressures and hunting barrel lengths that are the same there is not a Fart of gas different except factory ammo is around 100 bucks for 20 and hard to find, Pete

The good ole 300 h&h gets my vote every time it can be hand loaded to duplicate the 300wm and can actually handle the heavier bullets better