Thoughts on remington 700 long range

I went out with my buddy and shot his LR over my Caldwell chronograph yesterday. 2925 fps average for his load with another grain possible to add before max load. No pressure signs, imo the thing shoots nice. He has a magpul stock and he adjusted the trigger down to around 4lbs. I've passed two Remington factory armorer's courses and have owned Remingtons since 1991 so I'm not an expert, but I'm not a beginner either. The only time I've seen Remingtons slam fire, or malfunction, was with triggers that weren't adjust properly. I've also seen other trigger from a wide variety of rifles and highly reputable pistol misfire or go full auto. CNN's report and that lawsuit fails in many ways IMHO.

I can't find the rebuttal report for that lawsuit but I seem to recall that the malfunctions happened less then one percent of all 700 triggers. My understanding auto industry safety standards don't match that record. One ambulance chaser sites said hundreds of incidents out of 7.85 million rifles. So I'm pretty sure it's under one percent failure rate.

As far as my buddy's setup? I was really surprised on how light and balanced his rifle is. It looks like the barrel has more taper then my PSS, which makes for a lighter rifle. I'm sure that even this out of shape/ practice shooter could still shoot it ok offhand. And yet the 208gr load was still comfortable to shoot off a hood. So the barrel/ rifle has more weight then a magnum contour barrel. I'd say this rifle more closely fits the "Long Range Hunter" bracket. I think one will end up in my safe in the near future.

I have a friend, long range competitor, shoots a 7mag at a 1000 yds, and Remington 700s right out of the box mostly shoot so well no reason for lots of things being done to them. I would put a Jewell trigger in one, but have 2 I haven't and they shoot fine. I have a 5 shot group, one of several, as don't set around shooting groups, this one was while chronographing, and is 5/16ths inch at a 100 yds. I don't recall what the 243 does, but about the same kind of thing. Before I would change out a barrel, and such, (other than trigger and I never put the Jewells in the 223 or 243 yet) shoot it and see how it does. Unless you just want to spend a bunch of money.

I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.
I have the Remington 700 M40 Long Range in a 300 Rem. Ultra Mag. and I like it so much that I am also wanting to get it in a 7mm Rem. Mag. while the prices are still good.

Well this is a fiasco. I call Remington today to see how progress was. I was told they didnt have it and it was at a Remington certified repair shop. No biggie I called the repair shop and they are telling me they have no idea when I'm getting it back. Could take upwards of 30 weeks. Completely unacceptable. I made a call to the shop I bought it from as they were the ones that had called remington originally and then told me 2 week turn around time. Waiting to here back from them before I take any further action. At this point I'm going to try to get Remington to replace the rifle. All I can say is stay clear from Remington. This is my only and last Remington anything I'll own.

Like I said I'm waiting to hear back from the shop manager first. This is ridiculous. I'd wish this on no one.
Yeah that is really a bad situation. I'd like to know who made the "two week" turn around claim. The shop or the repair center. Really sorry to hear all this. Crappy situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts