(SHERMAN) WHATS NEW FOR 2019

Accurate mags 300 WSM have and internal capacity of 2.950. How does bottom metal make where you can seat bullets longer than that?

Hey Rich. Your website says that you plan on adding the tooling to provide fully formed SS brass in the next few years, didn't know how current the website was and was wondering where you stood with that. I'd like to try the 7ss but am new to reloading and would be more comfortable with a few less steps in the process.

Hey Rich. Your website says that you plan on adding the tooling to provide fully formed SS brass in the next few years, didn't know how current the website was and was wondering where you stood with that. I'd like to try the 7ss but am new to reloading and would be more comfortable with a few less steps in the process.
Nothing new yet on fully formed but the current brass is as easy as load and pull the trigger! They usually shoot very accurately while forming and most guys just use that as barrel break in.

Fireforming the ADG Sherman short brass is no big deal as Rich stated. I just did it with my 338 SS. I only necked up (as it comes as 7mm), chamfered the mouth, loaded with a mild load and fired it, that's it.

adg fireforming to SS.jpg

Last edited:
Well, maybe I should give it a go then. Is 3000 fps possible with a 180 ELD-M in a 24 or 25 inch barrel without pushing it too hard?

Looks like I may be asking too much from a short action cartridge, I just like the idea of an efficient little cartridge getting the same velocity as a long action cartridge with 6 or 8 grains less powder from a 2 inch shorter rifle (1" action, 1" barrel).

Finally got my 338 Sherman build underway. Parts dropped off at gunsmith today

Reviving my first rifle — a 1980s tang safety ruger M77. It required lengthening the receiver with a Wyatt's cut and I fabbed an extended box to allow OAL of 3.60". Benchmark light Palma will be finished at 24". APA little b*stard brake. Adding a pic rail by ken Farrell. Timney trigger. Stripped the poly finish off stock and have been applying an old school handrubbed oil finish. PITA.

Plan to do load dev with Rocky Mountain 250gr ULD with R-16. Guessing mv will be low 2700s.

If they have a bearing surface similar to a 250 Berger, they should run up to 2800 even with a 24" barrel which mine has. RL17 and H100V will get you there. RL16 may be a little less. It will be fun to watch progress with the Ruger. Maybe get a thread going. Hint, Hint!

If they have a bearing surface similar to a 250 Berger, they should run up to 2800 even with a 24" barrel which mine has. RL17 and H100V will get you there. RL16 may be a little less. It will be fun to watch progress with the Ruger. Maybe get a thread going. Hint, Hint!

Bearing surface is signif longer than the Berger — in QL they top out below the 250 Berger. But at 2700 FPS will still have 2000 ft-lbs at 1000 yds.

May look at r17 but needing powder with a bit more temp stability down here in Texas — temp swings from 20-100F make a year-round load tough.

Bearing surface is signif longer than the Berger — in QL they top out below the 250 Berger. But at 2700 FPS will still have 2000 ft-lbs at 1000 yds.

May look at r17 but needing powder with a bit more temp stability down here in Texas — temp swings from 20-100F make a year-round load tough.
Sounds like 2750' might be it but that's a lot of smackdown! H100V is pretty good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.