What action for 6.5 Sherman build?

TC338

I'm wanting to build a 6.5 Sherman. I've talked to elkaholic about it and got his recommendations. I just want more opinions on what action to start the build with. I'm thinking either a Savage or Remington. What other options do I have that don't break the bank?

My opinion is if you don't have the action in hand at the very least look at a stiller. You will save money in the long run by going custom.

Maybe shoot bigngreen a pm or maybe he'll chime in...
I'm having him do another SS and using a Tikka T3 for the donor. He is very very impressed with the Tikka actions over stiller or Remington.
If you got the money to go big then go for it.
I have a few sako's and love them. I've shot alot of friends and familys tikkas which have been incredible for accuracy.
I have a 270 Sherman built on a rem 700 which as also been awesome but for a budget build tikka would be great. There is also a lot of aftermarket parts for tikka these days. I'll be interested to see what you choose.

Thanks for all the input, I forgot to put the tikka as one of my options in my original post. I just attended a long range shooting class with a former police sniper and he was shooting a bone stock tikka t3 varmint inn 223. We had some crazy wind going on but he was able to shoot a 1.5 in group at 300 yards with that rifle.

Rem 700 long action off a .270 or .30-06 or anything with a .473" bolt face will work. The Rem 700 has enough magazine box room to allow you to set the heavy high-BC bullets into/near the lands.

Just my $0.02...

Give Jim Borden a call. He will do the action and blueprint & time a trigger to the action. He is a great guy to talk to and IMO his actions are the best out there...gun)....................:)

Give Jim Borden a call. He will do the action and blueprint & time a trigger to the action. He is a great guy to talk to and IMO his actions are the best out there...gun)....................:)

Jim built my 6.5 Sherman for me. Couldn't agree more. Very nice guy and does excellent work.

Thanks for the info guys. I can't afford to go full custom right now. As of right now I'm leaning towards buying a factory Remington long range hunter in 30-06 and having it rebarreled, trued, beded and install a new trigger if it needs it. I handled one at my local cabelas last night and liked the feel of it. Anyone see a flaw in my plan? Any smiths on here that could tell me an approximate cost for labor on the work?

For mine, I went with a Rem 700 action and that's what worked for me. Sure, I wish I could have gone with a full custom, but I'm a medical student at the moment and that wasn't in the cards for me.

I think you've got a pretty solid plan. Just as another suggestion - you could look around for a deal on a 700 ADL package. I found one for $400 cash. Sold the scope, stock, trigger, etc and kept the action and bolt. All in all, I paid $250 for the action and bolt. Not a bad way to start. With the 700 LR, you've got a good stock already, but you might save a bit by going the ADL route (assuming it's cheaper) then purchasing the B&C stock from redhawkrifles.com

Anyways, you're going to really enjoy the Sherman. I've only had mine for a while, but it's been a ton of fun so far.

For mine, I went with a Rem 700 action and that's what worked for me. Sure, I wish I could have gone with a full custom, but I'm a medical student at the moment and that wasn't in the cards for me.

I think you've got a pretty solid plan. Just as another suggestion - you could look around for a deal on a 700 ADL package. I found one for $400 cash. Sold the scope, stock, trigger, etc and kept the action and bolt. All in all, I paid $250 for the action and bolt. Not a bad way to start. With the 700 LR, you've got a good stock already, but you might save a bit by going the ADL route (assuming it's cheaper) then purchasing the B&C stock from redhawkrifles.com

Anyways, you're going to really enjoy the Sherman. I've only had mine for a while, but it's been a ton of fun so far.

Don't forget that by purchasing a 700 Long Range, not only is the gaining a good stock to build with, he's also gaining the BDL mag assembly and floor plate ($150-175) over an ADL rifle... So, if all he has to do is blueprint, rebarrel, and swap in a Timney or Jewell, he'll be money ahead to go the 700 Long Range route.

Don't forget that by purchasing a 700 Long Range, not only is the gaining a good stock to build with, he's also gaining the BDL mag assembly and floor plate ($150-175) over an ADL rifle... So, if all he has to do is blueprint, rebarrel, and swap in a Timney or Jewell, he'll be money ahead to go the 700 Long Range route.

Ahh the BDL mag - I knew I was forgetting something. I'd at least check to see if any sales are going to be happening over Memorial Day. Might be able to save a little while picking up the rifle.

As far as the Tikka goes, I've thought of building off one, but the magazine limiting COAL has been a concern of mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.