Latest 6.5 Sherman build.

bigngreen

My brother finally decided to end his career as a college student and graduate with his last degree so Dad and I thought it would be an excellent reason to put together a 6.5 Sherman for him. This rifle started life as a Winchester Mod 70 push feed that was scored at a gun show then stripped.

Action went into the truing jig and the critical surfaces trued up, a Benchmark 5R fluted #5 barrel then got chucked up and it was fitted and chambered for the no neck turn 6.5 Sherman, then a Hollands Radial Baffle brake was fitted.
Then it got Cerakoted burnt bronze which really turned out awesome, the bolt was left to let him decide if he wanted it fluted or re jeweled.

The stock is a Precision Stock Works which is one of my favorite stocks, we bedded everything down and used a PTG Oberndorf bottom metal, tuned up the factory trigger, installed a Nightforce rail and a rail for the bipod with a Vortex HS-T topping it of.

As Dad and I were putting this together we just kept adding stuff, a Pelican case showed up and the rifle was fitted to it, rear bag and a cleaning kit was put in and two 20 round ammo cases. It is a fully inclusive precision rifle kit so all he now needs to do is remember his tags and he's GTG :D

I'll have to find some group pics but it's a shooter, it's going to be tough for him to choose a bullet and load!!

1475.jpg

1487.jpg

1479.jpg

1489.jpg

I should know this, but I have never been a big 70 fan....My question is, is that a pre-64 model? And also, does the push-feed models not have the mauser style ejector bar attached to the bolt?

Turned out good. I can hardly wait till mine is done. Should be about another two months. Please post groups and loads that you are using. Are you using R33 and 160 Matrix? How long is the Barrel?

Awesome, looks great and should be a hammer.

Can i have one for my college graduation present? :D

Ask your Dad if he would considering adopting another son. Very tastefull/usefull graduation present. You are fortunate to have a brother that deserves that.

I should know this, but I have never been a big 70 fan....My question is, is that a pre-64 model? And also, does the push-feed models not have the mauser style ejector bar attached to the bolt?

It is not a pre 64 and it doesn't have the Mauser extractor. Rhians dad (cliffm) has one built on a pre 64 and is also a shooter.......Rich

Nice Rifle and Lucky Kid Too! Great Color!

Im nearing completion of one built on a Trued M700 BDL 300 Win, with a new 6.5 Lilja 28" and waiting for a Manners stock to be in soon. Rich was spot on time with the reamer for a no turn neck, and I got the Dies from him by Whidden also. Im looking forward to finishing it soon and getting out developing a few loads for it.

Andy

I forgot a couple details, 26 inch barrel and it's 10.2 lbs ready to hunt and the of hand balance is spectacular and it swings real nice but it's just heavy enough that it sits a bipod and bag real well also. Really wanted it to be an all round death stick gun)

Mine has a PacNor #4 26 inch. Same dies and no neck turn as well. I have about 70 rounds down it so far. It shoots better than I can. So far it's been a lot of fun. I should have had it fluted.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.