6.5 Sherman Build =)

.....and i certainly would not stir the pot on purpose, but if i wanted to i would question this hunters tracking skills instead of this bullets performance......brings to mind the old saying that "he couldnt find a dead skunk in a phone booth":D AJ

i have two questions for you, as "this hunter":
1. Have you ever been in the Cascades of western Washington?
2. Based on what you read of my experience, what would you have done differently to ensure you located the bear?

If you're not trying to stir the pot "on purpose" I'd be curious to know the different way you'd have gone about it because for intents and purposes, it appears you did exactly what you said you weren't trying to do.

If you'd like the details of what happened, PM me and I'd be happy to share.

Now what fun would a pm be? ......

Here's the thing. what we do as longrange hunters is always under a microscope for anyone to nitpic and second guess. we need to air our dirty laundry in public just like the clean stuff. What would i do different?
#1....
If i felt i couldnt recover a game animal that ran a meer 40 feet from where i shot it, i wouldnt hunt there. I know you did not set out to intentionally lose that bear, but maybe a backup plan to recover would have worked, lets say get a guy with a tracking dog to come in and smell around.

#2..... see #1

I just read thru this thread, mostly because i am a fan of the 6.5 diameter cartridge but didnt know what a 6.5 sherman is. From what i have gleaned it is just the .270 winchester necked to 6.5? Please advise if this is wrong.

AJ

It can be formed from 270 or 280 cases but it is an improved design with a 40* shoulder. The case capacity is increased to 75.5 gr.H2O from the 270's 67-68 gr.

Cliff

I just read thru this thread, mostly because i am a fan of the 6.5 diameter cartridge but didnt know what a 6.5 sherman is. From what i have gleaned it is just the .270 winchester necked to 6.5? Please advise if this is wrong.

.....and i certainly would not stir the pot on purpose, but if i wanted to i would question this hunters tracking skills instead of this bullets performance......brings to mind the old saying that "he couldnt find a dead skunk in a phone booth":D AJ

Wil spent hours with help on more than one occasion! Also, he shot the bear at close range in heavy cover. I TOLD HIM that he probably hit brush and deflected, or blew up the bullet, since he found not a spec of evidence. He then returned again weeks later to find the bear. Western Wa. is an absolute jungle and the bear had fallen under some very thick cover. Wil had walked within near stepping on it more than once......SHERMAN

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm thinking a brake would be pretty nice. I'm definitely not shy of recoil, but the ability to spot shots would be pretty helpful. When hunting, I try to have ear protection with me. I guess I'll have to be even more vigilant when hunting with the 6.5 Sherman.

I'm hoping to have this thing back to me sometime soon- I dropped all the parts off a few months back and I'm chomping at the bit to send some bullets down range!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts