Votes: 17 24.3%
  • 30 SS

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 300 Sherman Mag

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • 30 MAX

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
I think the 7max is the most well rounded. Low recoil, excellent ballistics and killing power, decent barrel life. Can run standard 7 saum brass for forming. I just built one on a long action. Will eventually be doing a 6.5 max on a Tikka long action cuz it fits just right and makes more sense.

Looks like your collection is lacking in the 7 cal. Which is a great cal.
Does the Shermans come in anything in the 270 cal yet?

Looks like your collection is lacking in the 7 cal. Which is a great cal.
Does the Shermans come in anything in the 270 cal yet?
We have 280 Sherman, 7 sst, 7 ss, 7 Max, and 28 Sherman in the 7mm (capacity 70 to 97 grains)
Also have 270 in the Sherman long action '06 size and 270 SS in the short action.
The OP only listed part of the line.

Thanks Rich, from a neighbor to you in North Idaho.
OP with the big guns you already have I think the mild recoil and flat shooting of one of the 7's or 270 would be a great shooter!

I would do the 7SS if changing to a short action. Love mine!

If repurposing your Rem700 LA I would do the 300SM with 245gr Bergers.

I don't like to say (or think) it, but projectile and powder availability may be a consideration for the near future? The 7 Max may be a great option with the 6.5 Creedmore being the darling right now?

With your action, I'd think 28 or 30 sherman mag. You'd most likely want to do a Wyatt's box or dbm for that though to shoot the heaviest per caliber with minimal jump as a repeater if that's your thing. That being said though, I haven't had trouble getting bergers to shoot with .100 or more jump. If you want to keep the action as is bdl and keep the bullets right to the lands, I don't see anything wrong with going with any of the max or ss chamberings. With a little tuning I'm sure they'll run fine. I've got a 270 sherman long action '06 case head and a 25sst myself. They're my main go to rifles these days.

I think I decided to do the 30 Sherman Mag on the current action. I have a McMillan BDL coming with a Wyatts box.

I have a Tikka 260 that can become a 7Max in the future.

Now to find a barrel for the 30 SHerman Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.