What would you build?

ssmith6

Very long time lurker. Have absorbed a lot of knowledge off this forum and wanted to jump in with something.

I am going to build a rifle and will likely be built off a bighorn origin action using a Pre-Fit barrel of some kind. The whole goal of this is to build it myself from scratch.

Here is what I have already...I know I pretty much have all bases covered but what does one more rifle hurt haha:

Weatherby Arroyo RC 30-378
Fierce Carbon Edge 280AI
Weatherby Vanguard RC 7RM
Rem 700 PSS 308
Rem Model 7s in 260 and 7-08 (I have twin 5 year olds and these will be their first rifles)
Ruger MK77 in 257 Roberts
Remington VSSF 22-250
Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet

I'm leaning towards a 6.5x284 as I have always wanted one but have also entertained a Sherman of some sort since I have read all the good things on this forum.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Not really! I pretty much have all my bases covered already. This is mainly just a build for me to do. Will be shot at the range and will likely be taken deer hunting a few times a year. My 30-378 and 280AI won't ever leave. Not married to the 7 mag. 308 mainly just gets shot at the range to play around with. 257 was my dads and mainly stays in the safe...gets taken deer hunting a time or two a year. 22-250 goes coyote hunting a time or two

I'd sell all of that except the hornet, buy a 338 and invest the rest for the best ROI I could find.

Only one out of the group that may hit the road is the vanguard 7rm. Bought it bc it was a stupid good deal. Everything else has sentimental value or has a specific purpose. This build is not about replacing but about adding. I live in Georgia and don't have available a range to heavily utilize a 338. My day to day range is 600 yards and I go to a 1000k range about 1-2 times a year to play.

338 SS is running the 250 Berger at 2800 with a coal of 2.960"

I just wish I had somewhere to utilize it. Living in Georgia limits our ranges. My day to day range is out to 600 and go to a 1k yard range 1-2 times a year to play.

I like the br or dasher too. But I think I'd build a 6brx or a 6bra. Of course the dasher and even the parent 6br is a good choice. Anyone of these would be a great next rifle.

I agree...with the 338..personally I'd build a 33 Nosler or a 338 Norma... you also do not have a heavy rifle..nothing to take care of Buffalo, elephant ect...I'd also suggest a 375 of some type, or even a 416. if your looking for gaps.

But if your set on building on a origin... 338 RCM...

By the way what does your 30-378 WBY shoot good with? Just curious...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.