What would you build?

Thanks for the responses! With Christmas and a close friend dying I have had little time to respond. The action does have some sentimental value and I have decided to rule out the 6.5 rem mag. I am going to do some more research on the 7SAUM, SS/SST, and 6.5 PRC. I was originally concerned that I would have to build these calibers of a long action to get any performance. It sounds like that is not necessarily the case. Again thanks, and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!
Sorry to hear about your friend!

To further help (or confuse) the choice, I got some feedback just today on ammo availability -

I went to lucky gunner for my particular 300 WSM ammo and they no longer carry my cartridge. Their 300 wsm selection is down to 10 choices. I asked them (from strictly a sales volume standpoint) if they have seen the 300 wsm reducing popularity on the market, and they said definitely yes for all WSM and for WSSM.

That doesn't mean I won't find my cartridge or that I couldn't handload, which would be better. My only point is that 300 wsm may continue to slowly become more difficult to find, which will affect the price and availability of related stuff.

Mind you, I think your other options may still be less common in the ammo market, like 6.5 PRC (which I also have had my eye on), so that may or may not be a factor for you.

Last edited:
Im sorry to hear about your friend.
My vote is in the 7ss max family. Im going to be getting into it myself before to long hopfully. Hand loading is the big question for ammo Supply, vs factory.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.